Graphics Update 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Zero303 Well-Known Player

they just switched to switch *lol* so dont get your hopes up.
  2. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Yep, we have so much new Tech being invented, that it's only good to be hopeful while have some realistic limit to that as well, Steam Deck, PS5, Xbox Series S etc. DCUO has to adapt and upgrade eventually, that's a given.;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

We all have our speculations, I usually draw the lines before I speculate, while truthfully nothing is set and stone, it is speculation, so as it says Graphical Upgrade, aiming for 2023 which is quite a gap when you consider being left in the dark for a year, common snese tells me that there is something that is not commonly expected that is in the works for this game, and common sense also tells me that eventually this game has to upgrade to compete and stay relevant, the potential is there, all you just have to do is problem solve all those points and you would have more hope than you currently do. Which is where I stand.

Edit: One of the most feedbacks I see on Youtube is the Graphics being dated... so that is another point to add, Fast forward to this Roadmap and that's a red flag indication that something will get done.
  4. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I would like to see more info on any of the info provided in the investor presentation. Even a very high level of the things to expect. I’m very much not expecting them to migrate to a new engine (UE4 or 5). It SEEMS like an impossible task to in essence rebuild 10-11 years of content on a new engine. Therefore I’m really not expecting much more than a texture upgrade similar to what happened at PS4 launch and a larger batch of updated character models. But again, I’d like to hear from a developer directly what the expectation is there. It’s still super early (over a year away), deadlines change, goalposts move, but I think putting a more formal “As it relates to DCUO visuals, we’re working on…” statement out there would be neat to hear
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I get what you are saying. And I to believe that they will upgrade the engine. However me believing something g shouldn’t give me the right to say it will probably happen without confirmation from the devs. There were people who thought they would do an engine update with the PS4 graphics update. But that didn’t happen. And there are people who will believe assumptions as truths which is where a lot of issues lie within this community. Look at how many people still believe that dom affects aggro. It just takes a few people to spread false information. And while signs are pointing to that, it still doesn’t confirm anything.
    • Like x 1
  6. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Right, but I couldn't be 100% concrete, because that would mean I would have the Sources ;) , which I don't but I am only judging it by my observation of Feedbacks from Youtube Comments, New Episodes and the details, gear etc. I used to be those who thought Dom affects aggro not too long ago, so I know, but it takes just a day to stop and look all this up to see for yourself, and that's what I did, I think the people who becomes easily influenced by my statements, just have to do a better job at finding things out because If it's not me, it will always be someone else. Also I'm sure the TC knew I wasn't being 100% sure, that's why they replied "If it does happen that would be welcomed".

So while I may be correct/incorrect, I think this is a nice discussion to have and to look forward to.
  7. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Dominance affects aggro just as much as vitalization lol.
    • Like x 3
  8. Jcal Dedicated Player

In the 2020 Investors Report, it was "Modernize visuals."
    Now in the 2021 Investors Report it is "graphics upgrade."

Don't get caught up on the language, peeps. They're not going to port DCUO to Unreal Engine 4/5, they're not going to make the game look like Cyberpunk (joke I read in-game, lol), or anything to that magnitude. Temper those expectations. If it did happen, and hey... anything's possible, it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

Realistically speaking, I think we are looking at a nice resolution bump to either native 1440p or a dynamic resolution above 1080p (for PC and the PS5/XSX native client), maybe new textures and effects, updates to the rest of the player Skins, maybe updates to old Hair styles, more updates to NPCs, maybe more updates to fan favorite gear sets, maybe new updates to Gotham/Metropolis/Watchtower/HoD.
    • Like x 4
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I play on the switch and it can handle better visuals. It's usually visual effects that it will lag on. So having 30 people in one phase all attacking a boss tends to chug.

But!

If they optimize it well, it could handle a lot more than what we have now. Plus, they already have the tech that allows for different quality visuals based on platforms. It was something they introduced when they were still saying they would support the PS3. PS4 and PC was able to see certain things that the PS3 could not.

They also made it where you didn't have to download the videos to reduce file size on the switch.

Switch isn't as limited as you think.
    • Like x 2
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Not gonna lie.. read the start of it and it got me scared lol
    • Like x 4
  11. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

This is basically what I'm expecting. But if we get a complete overhaul with a newer game engine, I'd honestly be shocked if that happened.. I'd be happy of course, but I'm limiting my expectations to what is more than likely to be the case vs what I would want to happen. :D
    • Like x 1
  12. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I wouldnt expect a engine upgrade, but new assets for maps, character upgrades and power visual upgrades are very reasonable to expect in the next 3 years. Maybe even a new map half the size of gotham/metro could happen.

That said, its still far away, dont blame the devs if you set your expectations too high, the big update could just be a bunch of npc refreshes and a giant episode with like 4 raids, its all speculation at this moment.
    • Like x 4
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have not announced anything on this subject, for good reason. Plans change all the time. There's nothing here of substance.
    • Like x 14
  14. Magnificent Loyal Player

You might want to tell EG7 that.
    • Like x 1
  15. alex33x New Player

The game really does need a graphics update, even if they dontt switch to Unreal 4 or 5 they can push 3 to its limits. Lost Ark which will be coming out soon, looks amazing and runs on a modified version of Unreal 3.

My biggest pet peeve with this game, is thje power effects are really bad. Even old City of Heroes, Champions Online and Marvel Heroes had a lot better looking power effects.
  16. Mo Kenway Well-Known Player

Mepps statement is basically.

We cannot confirm any of this for a good reason, Translation: We're not porting it to Unreal Engine 4. so there you go
  17. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

Has there been any further mention of this upgrade, and how will it impact PS4, especially when you consider that the availability of PS5 consoles are still pretty bad? I remember when PS3 was holding back the game, but they were forced to support and 'optimize' the game for years until they finally decided to drop PS3 support in 2018. Now, with staffing shortage but apparently additional funding from from EG7, hopefully the graphic update project will continue.
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There was never any official word of a graphics upgrade in here. People read an investment's call roadmap and decided that was gospel (which it isn't). There likely is a graphics update coming at some point, but with things up in the air, there's nothing to speak about at this point.

We won't be hearing anything official about this until it's close to release, and any speculation about engine upgrade is just that, pure speculation. So any disappointment anyone feels about there being no unreal engine upgrade will have only themselves to blame.
    • Like x 5
  19. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

First things first, an investor's report should never be used a firm roadmap. This is document designed to make it attractive for people to invest thousands, if not millions of dollars. This is quite literally a rainbow vision of the future when everything goes perfectly and there are no hiccups.

And well, it's the 2020's so things are not going to go perfectly and there will be more hiccups than a W.C. Fields marathon. While not intentionally false (that would be fraud) it lays out the best case scenario.

Second, seeing as we can't even get a new content DLC in less than 6 months with the current staffing (You guys are working hard, and it is appreciated) porting the game to a new graphics engine is certainly out of the question for the foreseeable future.
    • Like x 4
  20. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

EG7 is a public company. If it makes statements to investors, they better have some substance to them, or they would get in trouble with the SEC. Now, EG7 is a Swedish company, but I’m sure they have securities laws about investor disclosures.
    • Like x 1