Tanking in Elite Content

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by catplaysxoxo, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Yeah, arts are doing the heavy lifting. But in a boss fight like Shadow of Trigon where there's tons of adds who hit hard and have super high CC resistance and can't just be juggled, having enough SP to max healing crits and put 100 in resto after Dom and heath makes the Mystic 7 heals way more valuable and useful. Same with health and the everyman prototype which converts health to defense. Health alone is practically meaningless since most attacks now scale to your max health but the defense from everyman is noticeable between 275K health and 325K health.
    • Like x 1
  2. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Good stuff!! I appreciate it. You know it’s quite funny how I never think about using a sofa after that mechanic fails because I’m still on the mindset of why didn’t it work if I lunged lmao but wanting to do FGSe is going to be tricky to execute that mechanic unless we mic up. ._.
    • Like x 1
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Tried to edit but was too late. I should clarify that that isn't a counter mechanic but rather a specific mechanic that requires a certain amount (7 I think) of full (not clipped) lunges to cancel the one-shot.
  4. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

7? Okay so wouldn’t it ideal to have at least two or three people lunging to get to 7 lunges. Often times it fails because I’m the only one doing it and it’s not enough time to reach that number. I’m okay that I still beat that raid but I’m disappointed in failing that mechanic and it makes me feel like some of it wasn’t all my fault. I can only do so much lol Do you happen to know how long do you have before he uses his super attack?
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Don't quote me on that seven. I haven't ran that raid on a consistent basis since that DLC and the few times I have since we just blocked it out. Could be a different number. It's not really practical for others to help as the typical setup is for everyone to be on the outside. Clipped don't register for the mechanic and it's just not practical for people to be lunging all the way in to the middle and tumbling back to their spot. Plus that's the only time it's safe to orbital him so people who have their orbitals off cooldown are doing that along with it's long azz animation. Sometime's groups will run with a troll or DPS in the middle but on the opposite side of the circle from the tank so they don't kill the tank with the proximity damage mechanic. In that setup, that person could theoretically help with the lunges without much risk.

But in all practicality, it just better for people to block it out, especially with healers running the Page. It also even gives you as the tank time to swap in your orbital from your menu, hit him with it and swap back and still block. The last thing you want is for the group to depend on canceling the mechanic and not block, something goes wrong (lag or whatever) and you wipe and have to do those gottdamm statues ALL...OVER...AGAIN. ugh
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Smh I never thought about using an orbital in that situation. I don’t think I ever seen anyone in the group use an orbital when he’s readying his attack. In elite is safe to also just block in that mechanic or to lunge?
  7. Black Jaq Devoted Player

There is a lot wrong with tanking. Kiting or range tanking was a mechanism we used for certain attacks or bosses. A good example was Trigon SM with the Dr. Light boss. He did his v-skull cone up close, so the tank literally had to roll and block so Dr. Light would keep lunging while the other tank handled Superboy, IIRC. The flip side to this is it meant that Superboy had to be pulled off to the corner so everyone else could get around, but still be far apart in case he decided to slap someone.

Because of the need of shields and other survivabilty tools, Group immunity abilities have fallen by the wayside. Once in BoP, i pugged Clocktower Reg. One DPS didn't understand why they weren't getting pulled in by Oracle Bot. Someone guessed that I was hitting my group immunity to prevent them from being pulled in. No one praised my tanking ability though. But stuff like that makes tanking fun, not the continuous jumping around that one does now in elite content.
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

That's actually a great example, I've had the same experience where it's been beneficial to run group immunities and they're left confused as to what's happened because it's a staple part of tanking that's dissapeared in favor of shields and juggles.

I really do hope the devs are reading this because we really do need content to be better balanced with regard to providing a challenge to tanks that isn't just chucking adds at us.
    • Like x 2
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I'd run immunity a lot more or even as default in my loadout if it didn't have a six second longer cooldown than my normal aura activator. I do usually switch my back mod when running immunity so it helps a little with that, but then my main shield has a slightly longer cooldown. But yeah, there are a lot of mechanics in recent content that immunity helps with.
  10. Proxystar #Perception

It's actually one of the advantages of ice actually.

Their breakout doubles as a shield, albeit a weaker one admittedly.

Perhaps other tank powers could have that added to theirs also? Thoughts?
    • Like x 1
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

That would be nice, especially since Atomic only has one non-SC shield. Though I'm ok with Atomic's being an aura activator. If it had the same cooldown as the healing one, I'd opt for the immunity. If the aura drops, the last thing I want is to have to wait six additional seconds before I can get it up again. But I think immunity cooldowns are standardized across the powers and that's why its longer. Aren't they all 18s?
    • Like x 1