Graphics Update 2023

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Just putting this out there, I got an add up on my Google that said we are expecting a massive graphics update in 2023, along with a massive content release then too. I am not providing a link, because there's quite a few sites mentioning it. Is DCUO going to upgrade it's usage of UNREAL to a newer and better version? Looking forward to this!
    • Like x 1
  2. Wallachia Devoted Player

I think this speculation is dangerous.
    • Like x 5
  3. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Yes apparently so, if you look around there are only 2 new upcoming DC licensed games coming up, Gotham Knights and Kill the Justice League Suicide Squad, and those games are pretty much undecided as far as gameplay wise and whether it will sell, so DC is playing it safe right now, DCUO is generating money, and has alot of potential to compete with modern games, and look I have said countless times PvP is in a bad state but I can't deny the fact that this game's combat is still unique and modern with the Powerset's Synergy like some has stated on here, if you look at the new gear, auras etc. the Developers are utilizing current engine to it's max potential, and they can't expand their imagination until they upgrade, so I can imagine the discussion has been on the table for a while.
    • Like x 1
  4. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I was surprised when the PS4 came out, that they were still using such an old version of UNREAL, instead of upgrading. Sure, I know there's a lot that involves, but it appears as though something good is in the works with upgrading graphics now. Looking forward to it.
    • Like x 1
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Agreed. I think it's better for everyone to temper their expectations and if it's a really great graphical upgrade then have it be a pleasant surprise. I'm not putting too much stock into how good the graphical updates will be just yet.
    • Like x 8
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

We won't get any details until later next year.
    • Like x 1
  7. Wallachia Devoted Player

Exactly. They read the words "major update" and are jumping to so many conclusions already, like this thread: people here are already sure the graphics will be updated as if mepps went into their bedrooms and told them face to face about it.
    • Like x 2
  8. Rejchadar Inquisitor

2023 ... on the one hand, the older you are, the time flies faster ... on the other hand, it’s not far from retirement to the cemetery ... if you could live to see this graphic update ...

Mepps in the bedrooms? I need to check the Kalashnikov assault rifle under the pillow ...:p
    • Like x 1
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

There hasn’t been anything confirmed so the “apparently so” is just speculation. They could very well just do an update using the same engine. I replied in the other thread that another made saying that if they use the same engine the graphic update will be minimal. With unreal engine 5 coming out there is a CHANCE that dcuo will be upgraded to unreal engine 4. This however is just wishes and nothing more. Nothing is confirmed and telling people that “it seems that way” or anything similar could lead to rumors. Knowing this community, if it doesn’t happen players will be up in arms over something they never said.
  10. L T Devoted Player

I remember at the time one of the Devs mentioned that they used a highly customized version of Unreal 3 when developing the game, so switching to U4 would not be straightforward at all.

The "Investment in graphics upgrade" statement, made alongside a bunch of other juicy tidbits, was presented to investors. As such, that statement had better be true-- a person making false or misleading claims to investors could be guilty of fraud, liable to lawsuits, and possibly fines form the security and exchange commission. The people who make those slideshows are well aware of this.

That having been said, there are a bunch of ways to update graphics in the game. We could get a whole bunch of updated textures for example.

I think it's worth getting excited about. It's excellent to read that Daybreak continues to invest in my favorite game. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions here.
    • Like x 3
  11. Magnificent Loyal Player

[IMG]

"Investment in graphics upgrade and the largest expansion content to date for 2023". That's concrete enough language from an investor presentation to mean it's more than just a few more higher-res character models. While game devs may play wordgames with players on things like this, the CFO doesn't normally do that with investors (not if they want to keep their job).

Now add to this they have extra staffing working on the new Marvel MMO. If they are using U4 or U5 for the new game then it gives them more opportunity to internally test transitioning to a new engine.
    • Like x 1
  12. BumblingB I got better.

I read their posts more as their expectations of this news, not that it will happen or not.

Like upgrading Unreal. They may or may not do that.

I'm with them as well, don't put words in the mouths of the devs and wait for the release, you might get something good or you might not get what you hyped up in your head and be disappointed.
    • Like x 2
  13. Wallachia Devoted Player

I am not going to take this seriously because one footnote in a random place does not constitute enough evidence for anything. Also, it's unrealistic to expect the extra staff working on the new mmo as a guarantee that DCUO will be updated, specially if you have zero knowledge of how those things work, which you clearly do, given the "argument" eu just gave.

Less romance, more reality. This speculation is all dangerous and it will lead to an uproar of disappointed people whining over their fantasy expectations not being fulfilled when said update rolls out.

EDIT: not to mention that character models and game maps also count as graphic update, so you are just magically guessing stuff and saying "They said a random phrase here, I am obviously right!!!".
    • Like x 1
  14. Magnificent Loyal Player

Same except I read it as "don't expect much", which is contrary to why it would be included in the Q3 report.

Agreed. It's fun speculation and if there is a time when it could happen, this would be it (if they are using U4 or U5 for the new Marvel MMO) but no one should be presenting that migration as a given.
    • Like x 1
  15. Magnificent Loyal Player

16. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Not really speculation.
    They mention as much in the EG7 investor presentation. ;)
    • Like x 1
  17. Magnificent Loyal Player

But that's just "a random place".

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Absolutely. ;););)

A random Investor Presentation to tell random Investors how their money will be randomly invested in the coming random years is very random indeed.

It is not like Investor presentations are official documents or something. ;) ;)

But seriously......

There will be a Graphic update. That is no speculation.

Now I guess we could speculate on how big that graphic update will be.
    It could be as big as upgrading the Ambush Bug skin......
    or as small as upgrading ALL the Maps.... characters..... and UI..... and more importantly..... Ambush Bug as well. ;)

I guess we will have to wait and see on how big the Graphic Update will be. But it would be fair to expect such an update to be BIG.
    We just do not know how BIG.... yet. ;)

But they are planning a graphic update. That is no speculation. ;)
    • Like x 2
  19. Swamarian Committed Player

It's possible that whatever they're planning on doing just won't work out. I remember another game cancelled a major client upgrade because the issues proved too difficult to fix.
    Even if they don't go to the UE4 engine, there are a lot of limitations baked into the current engine because of PS3 limitations. Just taking those out and reworking how things are done in the current engine could give the game a nice boost.
    • Like x 1
  20. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Any graphics update to this game is welcome in my opinion! I'm not expecting to see sweat bubbles dropping off of any faces, but any upgrade to texture, graphics, modeling, etc: there's reason for anticipation, even if only a little.