Any plans regarding PVP feats?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by King Bakes, May 12, 2021.

1. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Half of the people who are asking for free feats have been iterating that same thing, that they don’t care about pvp, and never/don’t care to play it
    • Like x 2
  2. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

This would just downplay the feats that players have already worked hard for.
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Agreed, if you are looking to seriously PvP, but 'can't' and 'shouldn't' are different. You shouldn't queue in with PVE gear...sure. Although as I said, you can carry the gear and switch to it pretty easy, if that were the biggest difference.

Anyhoo...it's all moot anyway, until some sort of change is announced. We'll see if one ever is and can go into it then.
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But I don't think we're anywhere near the point where a determined person couldn't get the number of people necessary to try and take care of PvP feats.

Star Wars Galaxies' Galactic Civil War system allowed for players to engage in the whole "Rebels vs. Imperials" bit from the films, where you'd get points depending on the enemies you defeated or how you contributed to the struggle. It was an expansive system and even included contributions made by crafting classes, but the main focus was on combat. And while PvE combat (on the ground and in space) would earn you points and help you rank up in the system, PvP participation weighed more and would gain you more points. You'd even have the chance of showing up on your server's leaderboard if your contributions were high enough.

This was a screenshot of a leaderboard I took shortly before the game shut down, showing my participation on my server.

[IMG]

That's my character at the top, and that ranking was all from PvE missions I ran (I was seriously outnumbered and wasn't in the mood to be ganked on the regular by Imps LOL). Remember, PvP carried more weight and my particular server was known as an unofficial PvP server for the East Coast.

That right there is a situation where you'd have trouble finding the number of players you'd need to knock out some PvP feats. We definitely don't have the same number of players who PvP like we had at launch, but I have a LOT of trouble thinking we're anywhere near what I was seeing on my SWG server right before it shut down.
  5. spikeat Well-Known Player

Has anyone mention that if a player is not good at PvP, that they could be playing for hours with little to no progression towards the feat?
  6. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I don't think this is a good point, most of the feats are group feats plus you can get PvP gear with just defeats. Also remember that you'll face bad people as well. And remember: A bad PvE player with bad groups won't get no death feats, just like a bad PvP player with bad groups shouldn't get all PvP feats. They are achievements after all.

The 3 main issues are:
    1. Cheaters everywhere
    2. Queues take too long/No queues at all
    3. Some powers are really unbalanced right now and counter mechanics aren't rewarding good players as before
    • Like x 1
  7. King Bakes Well-Known Player

Genuine question.

Why are you actually replying on this thread?

You literally admitted in your first post that you don't PVP whatsoever and have 0 feats, yet you're arguing with people about how busy queues are and you're basing your arguments off of other games????

Go and actually queue for PVP before you attempt to comment on this sort of stuff. You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.
    • Like x 2
  8. King Bakes Well-Known Player

Spot on. But my main issue is number 2. Because if we could actually queue then 1 and 3 probably wouldn't matter so much. Whether PVP is broken or not, it's impossible to get the feats if no one plays.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

That's true though also of challenging PVE feats, is it not?
    • Like x 2
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Because your idea is a bad one.

If someone with little to no stakes in the fight, looking in from the outside, thinks that it's a really bad idea then perhaps it's time to rethink things. In fact I would stand to gain from your idea, and yet I argue against it. Why? Because. It's. Bad.

Remember, outside of feats included in the CR skips, the only time they've handed out a batch of feats from content was when they handed out the feats from the original Valentine's Day content. Which was REMOVED from the game completely. As Reinheld put it earlier in the thread, it's tough to get the PvP feats done right now, but not impossible. As long as the content exists, it can be done.

I do as much as I can in this game on my own. While MMOs are multiplayer games and grouping is a large part of the experience, I am loathe to have my free time and entertainment subject to the whims of other players. But if I was more of a group participant? You can bet I would be doing everything in my power and exhausting every single option available to me before I even THOUGHT about coming into the forums and asking for any sort of handout.
    • Like x 2
  11. Robotsidekick Active Player

The tears from sweats if those feats are given away or added to the skips would be worth it on its own
  12. King Bakes Well-Known Player

Whether my idea was good or bad isn't the point.

The point is you can't counter my idea with facts from other games and also your assumptions on queues (because you haven't actually tried queueing yourself so you have no idea what you're even talking about).

And if you read through all of the thread like you previously stated, then you would've seen me say that I'm not just asking for handouts. I like to grind feats and would prefer being given the opportunity to do so compared to being given the feats for doing nothing. However the queues need to be fixed otherwise it's near enough impossible to even attempt them. So your idea of 'Want the feats? Go get them.' is a load of crap.

And FYI I did actually mention that these discussions have been ongoing for years. And from all those discussions, the most we've had is a response from Mepps saying 'Is this what you guys want?' (in regards to a bonus week or w.e) and 'We have no plans to fix PVP', as well as 'We're hesitant to touch anything to do with PVP right now'.

So rather than telling us pointless facts from your Star Wars game, do what other people on here have done and contribute. Give ideas as to what we can maybe ask for instead of getting these feats for free. You haven't addressed any issues raised, you've just argued against them by saying 'deal with it'.
    • Like x 1
  13. spikeat Well-Known Player

That is true for current end game feats, but if players wait 3-4 DLC later while raising their CR, those feats difficulty level are significantly reduced. If there were still more seasoned PvPers around, the stacking feats would not get any easier over time, unless they get around it by trading wins.

I have all my PVP feats. I'd say the group feats are a lot harder to get than the solo ones. The arena feats will take the longest if you're just trying to queue in and face a bad player. I remember queuing into 4-man PvP in the past and 4/5 times I would run into a league. It's hard enough to trying to carry 1 bad player but if there is more than 1, then you're likely to lose. They will always search for the weak link in the group and make them their focused target. I can hold my own but they didn't want to fight me, so they just kill the weak link to rack up easy points. Spent one hour making zero progress towards the stacking feats so decided to wait for leaguemates.

This is partly why you can find a lot of OG players still missing their PvP feats. It's the same for new players who tries queuing in for PvP who end up losing so many matches back to back that they decide not to queue in anymore. No one likes to log in on their free time and constantly get defeated. This is the wall where a lot of players either can't or choose not to go over.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Doesn't that assume though that you don't get any better as you play more PVP?
    • Like x 2
  15. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

It’s almost never worth to your time. Choose who you respond to wisely. Some people will knock over all the pieces and strut around like they won. Arguing with someone who has no idea what they are talking about will only lead you to frustrationville
    • Like x 1
  16. spikeat Well-Known Player

Unfortunately a lot of players give up on PvP before they get any better.
  17. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

these are people who have never been to an arcade.
    • Like x 2
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

1. Having a solid basis for your arguments is pretty essential for making a persuasive case. Bad ideas undermine that and rarely stand up to any scrutiny.

2. So I'm not allowed to use/tap into my experiences with other games that I feel match up with or work in the discussion? Why exactly?

3. Then maybe leave feats out of the discussion altogether. Definitely leave them out of the title next time, at least. As it stands, here are your words exactly from the first post:

So are we going to be given the PVP feats at any stage since it is near enough impossible to get queued into instances sometimes and due to the fact it'll take years to get the feats themselves?

Kinds sounds like asking for a handout.

4. And how exactly are they supposed to fix the queues? The system works as it should, and the devs can't force players into the queues to make them pop faster. So what do you expect them to do?

5. If you know full well that the line from the devs has been and continues to be "We have no plans" then making this thread was a bit foolish. It's not as if this thread was going to magically be the one that makes the devs change their minds and spell out what they're going to do.

My advice? Take the initiative. If the devs aren't going to be doing anything to solve the problem in the near or long term, step up. For example, instead of making this thread, you could have made a thread in the PvP forums trying to get some like-minded folks together on your server to help knock out those PvP feats. Or you could be reaching out to other players on your server via the various chat channels to get something going (as I suggested earlier).

Either one of those options would have been better uses of your time and energy and probably gotten you closer to getting those feats done than your engagement here.
    • Like x 1
  19. shoegazer Well-Known Player

What's the big deal with players getting PVP feats?.. pretty much everyone of you don't play PVP anymore or have never played it..otherwise those queues would be popping..

I mean this game has basically become PVE only..and they've said they have no plans to do anything with PVP..so why does it matter if they give players 8 v 8 feats or whatever..it's not like any of you are actually fighting against other players..you're all just playing PVE.. where everyone's basically on the same team right? More people with more points=better stats for people on 'your' team..why would anyone have a problem with that?

I mean, the only thing that makes sense is that you just need to feel like you're better than other players..but that can't be right..you guys would never
    • Like x 1
  20. King Bakes Well-Known Player

1.) Read the whole of the thread. I had a very solid basis which was even pointed out by other people. Just because in your personal opinion it's a bad idea, that doesn't make it bad.

2.) No you aren't. This is DCUO not SWG or any other MMO. So your experience with other games is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with PVP on DCUO. You spoke about queues on other games and then tried saying 'I'm sure they're not as bad on DC'. Well they are and if you actually bothered to queue then you'd know.

3.) This whole discussion was about the feat side of things. If Devs don't want to touch PVP or fix the queuing issues (yes there are actually issues but I'll get onto that), then why shouldn't we be given the feats because as it stands it's nearly impossible to get them without people queuing.

4.) The system doesn't work as it should. This is how I KNOW you haven't read through the whole thread because multiple people actually commented that they've tried getting groups to queue before, and were waiting 20+ minutes for the queue to pop (when it should've popped instantly if enough people queued... which they did). This just shows yet again, you have no idea what you're speaking about. Yes the Devs can't force people to queue, but they can do something about PVP which will make people want to play. Or as other people have said, a bonus week is an option which will also make people queue.

5.) Staying silent means there is absolute 0% chance we'll get a response about PVP from the Devs. By making a post, I might still only have a tiny chance of a response/update from them but the chance will still be higher than 0%. If the Devs also see a lot of people commenting on this thread (with helpful responses, not the crap you're coming out with), then maybe they'll actually respond.

6.) Your advice can do one. Do you not think people try this stuff? It doesn't make people queue for PVP. It's hard to find people that actually want to PVP for MANY reasons which have previously been mentioned, not just the queuing. Even the simply fact that plenty of people will be bad at PVP. They won't want to queue just to get whooped every single time and lose (obviously they won't get better if they don't try but I'm just pointing out what others have said).

7.) You genuinely have nothing helpful to say so kindly take your advice to a SWG thread cos maybe they'll care about your queue time stats.