Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dubb Lantern, May 9, 2021.

1. Dubb Lantern Well-Known Player

If your broker item ends in these numbers, simply to undercut the next highest priced item by $1, know that I will never buy from you.
    • Like x 5
  2. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

I always put $1 higher because I know people will think the other guy is undercutting and buy from me (unless its something like catalysts or exobytes, because there are pages and pages of them)
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

It's ok I'll just make it 999,998 then :)
    • Like x 7
  4. Illumin411 Loyal Player

You and me both. I’ll always pay $1 more. This kind of undercutting subverts basic economic and commerce principles such as supply and demand and competitive pricing structures.
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

ah, well.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If that's how they feel they can be competitive and possibly make a statement, they're well within their rights to do so.

Me? I take the lowest price, cut it in half and then usually take a little more off on top of that. Gets my stuff sold. :D
    • Like x 2
  7. Rejchadar Inquisitor

I will disappoint you ... regardless of whether the price is 999999,1000000,999998,1000001 ... you just buy everything from me ...:D
    • Like x 2
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I make mine random as s*** lol like if i was to sell something for 100,000,000 i would actually sell it for somethin like 87,362,917 lol just so my listing stands out
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

I think a bunch of you are over thinking this, 9/10 people just buy literally the cheapest item and don't give a ****.
    • Like x 12
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That's fine because somebody else will.
    • Like x 8
  11. nawanda Loyal Player

I also don’t buy from -$1 people, but this explanation is a bit strange. Undercutting, even by a nominal amount, is a characteristic of an unregulated free market, which is what the DCUO economy is.
    • Like x 5
  12. Hraesvelg Always Right

Yeah, he's got some wild ideas about what "basic economic structure and commerce principles" are if he thinks being the first in the list and under a certain amount violates anything in a free market. Has he never seen an item in a store listed as $9.99? Psychological priming is a thing most major retailers engage in.
    • Like x 8
  13. Proxystar #Perception

No I refuse to accept that $9.99 is $10, it's $9!! :p
    • Like x 3
  14. Aesthete Well-Known Player

I always undercut by a million to 20 million anyway.
    • Like x 1
  15. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Yup same here. I have plenty of money and I almost never buy anything from those that use the 999,998 method. It would have to be something I need and be the only one available.

Heck if I am feeling generous I check who did the biggest undercut from the original set price and buy that one over a bunch of cheaper ones.

Once in a while, if I have multiple items I will test to see if others do the same as me. So I put up one item for a set price, then undercut myself with the 999,998,997 method just to see which one sells first. :D

It's usually a mixed bag, sometimes the higher priced one goes first other times the cheapest goes than the higher priced one, it's pretty fun to see the results.
  16. Lara Committed Player

Lol who cares i just buy the cheaper one, i undercut ppl aswell but not with 1$ lmao if someone sells for 999m i do 998m who cares
    • Like x 1
  17. tukuan Devoted Player

I'm not sure the motivation is always to present a better price but rather to show up higher in a sorted list.

For me personally if I'm pricing to sell I'll usually go at minimum 20-30% cheaper than the next lowest item.
    • Like x 1
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I will often do the same...unless i'm being lazy and just grab the lowest. I don't like undercutting or being undercut by $1...it's like the guy on price is right who goes over the bid by $1.

Personally, I normally go 10-20% under unless I know it's something that will move...then I'll just pick a few 100K or whatever (depends on the price of the item...could be a few mil) when undercutting. If it's something I know someone is trying to over-inflate I'll completely wipe them out. "Oh...you want 10mil for that Standard Toilet? How about 10K instead?" A) I don't want to get stuck with a 9.5 mil listing fee when it's returned and B) We have enough false inflation due to the money glitches...do we really need to inflate common objects?
  19. Illumin411 Loyal Player

in nearly every other kind of free market, competing vendors need to undercut enough that the savings is more valuable than the inconvenience of going to a competitor. If you were at a Best Buy about to buy a TV but looked on your phone and saw it was a dollar cheaper at Wal-Mart, would you leave, get in your car and drive to Wal-Mart and navigate through the human cesspool that is Wal-Mart to save a dollar? Hell no. Hell, if you were logged in to Amazon Prime about to buy that TV and a google ad pop-up showed it was $1 cheaper at Walmart.com, you probably wouldn’t bother going through the hassle of downloading the walmart app and/or creating an account to save a dollar either.

If competitors only undercut each other by a dollar, nothing would ever significantly come down in price.
  20. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

I never use the AH . simple solution/problem solved :p