Powers color change ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jaelia, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Jaelia Committed Player

Are you serious or are you a forum troll ?
    • Like x 1
  2. Jaelia Committed Player

I agree but they don’t completely have to give us our own control but they can tweak it give other color option to go with specific powers instead of one color for everyone,

Example : Fire with our current one and maybe the addition could be blue fire ?
    Or sorcery could be the one we have or one with Circe purple
    Or nature could be more beast boy green or poison ivy like ? They’re things they can tweak but give more customization because it feels like we’re all robots in my opinion. Like I said the game is very customizable up until the power choosing.
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This is why ideally, they would offer both basic recolour options in the UI *and* even "styles" based around themes for characters.

Some powers like Quantum, Atomic, or Fire, should be tintable to the colour a player wants. Purple, green, blue? Go for it. Other powers, a recolour could still work but full themed sets would sell; like Sorcery could be recoloured orange/golden to match Constantine but if you made a themed set to replace its default fx based on Fate's egyptian inspired sorcery or Zatanna's stageshow magic, that would probably sell.

Hardlight is another. DC would obv get final approval, but a basic palette swap to violet or blue would make sense for heroes. Orange (maybe black if approved) for villains. But a full set of themed replacement VFX would probably really sell for these too. Most players who ask for Blue, Sapphire etc Lanterns don't really ask for a functionally new power; they would be happy using Rage or Hard Light if the colour could be swapped to Blue or Sapphire or the VFX were a replacement pack that skinned the fx into those lantern themes.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I was about to ask you something similar. There's 15 powersets, 2 of them are color specific for obvious reasons. Why would they give 13 powersets the option to edit their color palette? Waste of resources unless it's animation variants.
  5. BumblingB I got better.

To be honest, light should have been will and fear. Light is hard light constructs, which it was based on Dr. Light and the Ray.

In any regards, it's be fine if they were included.
    • Like x 2
  6. Proxystar #Perception

I appreciate fire can appear blue but I also wonder whether allowing fire to be blue wouldn't cause an element of confusion for players as well?

Im also curious are you wanting this color change to affect just weapon attacks or general might based power animations as well?

Apologies if you've already answered that?
  7. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This is the "messaging" concern Spytle worried about years ago. The bottom line is that in the superhero genre it's normal to see fires of different colours and powers of different colours. As it stands now there's already different colours of fire in the game used by NPCs and bosses. So it's a non-issue. This would just give players the same options NPCs have.
  8. Jaelia Committed Player

Why ? Have you read the thread ?
  9. Jaelia Committed Player

Both if possible but if anything from weapons power attacks would be amazing because how customizable it could be
  10. Jaelia Committed Player

Agree but I guess they worded it differently lol
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I don't need to, what you've been asking for has been requested by numerous people over the past decade.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

The issue I see isn't really that in a fictional world you couldn't have pink fire, it's more a practical player experience.

If suddenly you've got players in content with pink, purple, orange and blue fire you might start to question what's going on.

I know this might seem unnecessarily rigid, but sometimes it's worth maintaining simplicity for the sake of a slightly easier experience, especially for new players.

I get the desire to customize, just in this case not sure it's a good move.
    • Like x 3
  13. Proxystar #Perception

I see, my concern would be as highlighted above how would you address the confusion, particularly of a new player who suddenly sees a pink lantern a green fire user they've confused for a lantern and a red quantum player putting down a blood pool?

That's the thing the colors and animations are largely unique to provide that appropriate differentiation, if you take that away, it would be a bit of a hot mess.
    • Like x 2
  14. Jaelia Committed Player

Ok and your point ? Are you mad I’m bringing it up again ? If so don’t comment, simple.
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I understood what you meant. It's called "messaging" in the industry. The idea is that specific colours communicate specific information to the user instantly. You see red, and think hot.

My answer doesn't change. Various colour fires are already in the game, and with all the graphics pollution also, you never really know what is safe to step in anyhow. It's an invalid argument. To sincerely make that case you'd have to retroactively remove every instance of purple, green, violet and whatever other colour fire that already appears in it and you'd also have to go against canon in a lot of cases by intentionally misrepresenting some characters' powers. Go fight Tala and have a Fire player with you -- you have no idea if it's good fire or bad fire to walk through -- in this case being able to customize powers might help with messaging and allow us to distinguish.

It's a superhero game. It's a big part of the genre. It's safe to assume any player coming to a superhero game is familiar with the concept of superpowers already. If this was Call of Duty it would be a legitimate concern but it's not here.
  16. Jaelia Committed Player

True, I see I wish they’d just something for each toon could be unique in a power way, so it’s not so same load out out same sorcery pet giving you red glow or baby boo giving you a mental shield when you’re a mental troll that gives off that same power. I think adjusting lantern colors would be perfect if that were possible.
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No. Why would I be mad? I was pointing out you're not going to get what you want.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jaelia Committed Player

You feel the need to keep commenting as if you’re a developer that made that decision lol Thanks Captain Obvious I could’ve told you that :)
    • Like x 1
  19. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Man imagine if quantum could be black? I would be spamming moves in the Watchtower.

Over the years I have kinda stopped caring about changing the colors of powers. Partly because it was requested for so long and nothing happened, and also because I feel like it could be confusing or even lore breaking.

Hard light could make sense depending on your faction. I.e heroes get violet and white light. Blue is technically possible, but I'm pretty sure they're useless without a green lantern near them from a lore standpoint. Unless it's for healing and such. But I used to ask for blue lanterns like every day in 2014-2015 so I wouldn't be mad at all if they were somehow incorporated. Also from a lore perspective, I'm not sure it would make sense to see male Star Sapphires, even if we have seen like one male one at some point in time. Indigo would be cool but they're all brainwashed. Villains could get violet too. Orange wouldn't make sense since Larfleez should be the only one, and black lanterns are technically undead and mind controlled (I think).

Not sure you could change Rage at all.

Some powers have multiple colors, like electricity which has yellow, light yellow, blue, and red lightning. Not sure what you would do there. Nature as well.

I don't think it would make much sense to change the color of celestial, earth, or water.

Fire would be dope, but doesn't blue fire already indicate an active effect or something? I haven't played fire since AM days.

Not sure what options you would have for gadgets or munitions.

That leaves you with quantum, mental, sorcery, ice, and atomic.
    • Like x 1
  20. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

even if we could just get 1 alternate color skin to all powers that would be beyond awesome

(it would be a different color skin for each specific power but just 1 for each)

for rage green for corrosive acid/chemical and just remove the appearance of a red glowing ring

hardlight for villains can have alternate skin be probably orange and for heroes alternate skin to hardlight would be blue

maybe ice could go violet like mr freeze tech using sapphire crystals but i don't know

and so on but the alternate skin would hopefully make enough sense to work

and earth....um....metal skin

water: dead water skin