Will DCUO be available on PS5 at launch?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Sep 21, 2020.

1. nawanda Loyal Player

I’ve preordered a PS5.

It arrives November 19th.

It would be really useful to know if I need to keep my PS4 setup or not beyond this date.
    • Like x 1
  2. Starblast Well-Known Player

it very well could be....it launched on PS4 the same day the console was released. If so...that could be what the next major update will be to make sure PS4/PS5/PC can all play together. and also the XBOX players as well.
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on the PS5, since they are claiming it has backwards compatibility with PS4 applications, both physical and digital.

But of course, with how things go in Murphy's Law, something can and will go wrong. So it's good to ask.

It would be nice if they did crossplay for PC, PS, XB1, and Switch at launch. Would give a boom to sales, but I don't think they would do it. They would need to announce that now, since it would take time to prepare the servers.

I don't think they will do what they did for the PS4 launch and redo the leveling system and graphics though.
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

Would it kill the devs to write “yes”, “no” or “we don’t know”?

Anyone would think it was a difficult or sensitive question I’d asked.

Sometimes I wonder why players are even allowed to post when basic stuff like this is completely ignored.
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Could be that they can't say anything until a certain point.

There's also the details of them getting the Halloween event to the live servers along with the next wave of Style Unlocking, the announcement of Long Live the Legion (which probably means getting that content ready enough to go to the Test Servers at some point in the near future) and getting ready to unleash both the holiday event AND the anniversary event in succession, all while working remotely.

Heck, for all we know they could be pulling a "if you keep asking it'll just take that much longer before we answer" kind of joke. LOL

It's only been about 10 days or so since this thread started. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a definitive answer, so I'd advocate patience. Besides, with the mess and chaos that looks to be forming for the console's launch there's a pretty good chance that many are going to have to stick with PS4 to play the game even if it does get confirmed for the new system.
    • Like x 1
  6. nawanda Loyal Player

They could just say “we don’t know”.

Do I need to keep this piece of 6 year old hardware just to play DCUO or not? I’m not complaining either way, I just think it’s an absolutely fair and topical question. Not answering makes them look like they don’t know what they’re doing, quite honestly.
    • Like x 1
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There are behind the scenes forces at play that they won't discuss in detail that prevent that from happening as of this writing. That could all change in the near future, but they wouldn't discuss it until it was something they were 100% sure was happening. The last thing they would want to do is announce they have a tentative deal in place, it goes to the crapper 2 days later and people come to the forums and social media with pitchforks claiming that Daybreak/Dimensional Ink/DCUO Devs are liars and yada yada yada and all that.
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Players are NEVER ever satisfied with "we don't know" or "maybe"...so what would be the point to offer that? As it is, it has been stated since last year that PS4 games would be compatible. Also, it would make sense that any current "free to play" games on the PS4 would play on the PS5 to pad up their initial game offerings since there will only be a few launch titles. That's Microsoft's strategy (along with their Gamepass thing).

Lastly, you like all of us know full well that ever since late 2016 they only offer us information on these kinds of things when they are close to delivering those things. We won't hear a peep until we are sufficiently close to launch date. It sucks, yes....but it is what it is.
  9. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

last i heard sony was compiling some kind of list as to what would and would not work come ps5 launch, might want to check sonys page....congrats on getting a ps5, u suck lol
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I searched but found no specific list that we could reference (so it must be an internal list). according to what I read on this site, 99% of PS4 games are compatible. I seriously doubt that DCUO will fall into the 1% category.
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

My birthday is on November 19!!! You shouldn't have!!! <3 <3<3
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When they officially announced DCUO for the PS4 it was a week or two before the PS4 hit shelves. Expect an announcement in early November if they stick to that pattern.
    • Like x 1
  13. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

very possible, could also be they are still testing and will release a complete list as we get closer to launch but tyvm for taking the time to look.
    • Like x 1
  14. nawanda Loyal Player

I really and truly hear what you’re saying.

I suppose my frustration is at the lack of any sort of response, rather than a burning and immediate need for less uncertainty. But let’s be honest here, the thing launches in 7 weeks time, a lot of their players will be getting one at or soon after launch, a little transparency over issues relating to platform-specific shortcomings has always at least provided answers and ended uncertainty, even if the answer hasn’t always been popular (eg PS test server, broader crossplay, reason for 3 week delay in fixing the alert for PS players).

There aren’t many people out there in the world who are going to be buying a 2020 console and itching to play their 10 year old game on it as the number one priority, I just sometimes get the impression they don’t care or value that as much as they should. It’s as though the basics of customer service aren’t applicable to people who play video games.
  15. nawanda Loyal Player

Thank you
  16. BumblingB I got better.

Oh, I'm aware of what you are talking about, my thread on a crossplay mega server was answered by Mepps.

I was talking about here not that they wouldn't do it, but it would be too quick to do the crossplay as the console launches in November. It would have to have been announced earlier this year to prepare like they did in the past.

To support his response, they also sometimes aren't told if it will be supported or not. I remember them giving the same answer to the PS4 and the Switch Lite, that they would have to wait a bit before they knew themselves.
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

They're working on a new MMO, and considering how far out it is one would have to assume it's a next gen title. That has me thinking that they have a PS5 Dev kit, which means they may have already tested PS5 compatibility internally but are just not at liberty to discuss things. All of the reports i've read say that 99% of PS4 games are compatible on the PS5...I can't see any reason why DCUO would be part of that very tiny 1%. And the same goes for Xbox Series X.
    • Like x 1