I see lots of dead people...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by StillDeathern, Oct 3, 2018.

1. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

There is always threads that state content is too easy..., I also see threads regarding the reasons to kick someone so that players can more easily pass content without carrying a deadbeat..., last I see threads stating old content should be steamrollable... This got me to thinking, what is acceptable to the player base in terms of how often do you expect to die?

In an alert:

In a raid (normal):

In a raid (elite):

In a seasonal event (gasp!):

In other related content:

Please keep it real. I am curious what your UPPER limit to failure is, when do you pull the plug, when do you walk away? Is a single death enough to make you walk out of an alert? For argument sake, we will say this is at Tier.

I look forward to hearing your comments, thanks in advance.
    • Like x 1
  2. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Alert - 0

Raid Normal - 0

Raid Elite - 1

Seasonal - 0

Seasonal Pug - (??)
  3. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

So you bail on everything unless you stay upright, except elite raids? You must be a tank
    • Like x 2
  4. Schimaera Devoted Player

Alert - 0

Raid Normal - 0

Raid Elite - 0-1

Seasonal - 0 (because I do not form premades for seasonals)

Seasonal Pug - 0

Wipes: 0 after figuring everything out and when everyone does the job they are supposed to do.
  5. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

No. I run with my league. And those are my expectations.

And yes, I battle tank quite frequently

And what about the person above me? He/she has the same expectations. Lol
    • Like x 1
  6. Schimaera Devoted Player

Agreed. OP asked for expectations. Nothing wrong with expecting zero deaths in alert and regular raids. They are as easy as they come..

As for elite raids... they have a pretty clear mechanic-structure and after a few runs one should be able to memorize everything enough to predict boss actions and act accordingly.
    • Like x 1
  7. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

IF you never die, is the game any fun?
    • Like x 2
  8. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

It is to me. It shows how skilled and knowledgeable you are when it comes down to things. Of course certain deaths are just bound to happen, but Ive been playing for over 7 years. I expect myself not to die AT ALL lol. But thats where my trust comes in on my leaguemates
    • Like x 1
  9. Schimaera Devoted Player

Why is dying fun? Care to elaborate? And as I said I wrote about content we/I have figured out. Sure first time in new content you might wipe. But after a few runs I truly expect no wipes and minimal deaths in a group of good players.

FYI I have fun in beating challenging content while figuring everything out to an extent where I never die naturally and not just by accident.

We were talking about expectations, didn't we?

Expectations =/= what actually happens. Tho I usually am somewhat confidant enough to say that I rarely mess up :p
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

In a pug run I have a 3 strike/boss rule. If someone isn't pulling their weight or being stupid, I kick. I don't expect to die if everyone is doing what their supposed to. The content is only as difficult as you make it.
    • Like x 2
  11. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

I guess I look at it slightly different, while I have been playing as long as you, have a league, and complete ample content both in league and out, the occasional wipe just reminds me that there is a chance of failure.

Multiple wipes, may show inexperience in the content, or perhaps the group has someone new to the game.

In essence, I rarely leave content over dying.

I would never leave content over a single death/wipe scenario.

Thanks for the reply.
    • Like x 3
  12. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Well... I'll try.

Dying itself is no fun but not dying ever, I think, would be equally as bad?

To me, for one to receive some type of enjoyment, one must achieve or overcome something.
    • Like x 1
  13. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I never leave unless I know we wont be able to pass it. I dont know if thats what you thought I said or if you just jumped to conclusions that I leave if I wipe once.
  14. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I have had my fair ahow of wipes PLENTY of times. The experience is there and the achievement is very satisfactory lol
  15. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Sorry, from my first post:

I am curious what your UPPER limit to failure is, when do you pull the plug, when do you walk away?
    • Like x 1
  16. Schimaera Devoted Player

Yet, isn't not dying something to achieve while overcoming death? :3
    Really, every run where I have 0 deaths in the end is a good run.

Sure there are these stupid runs where you mindlessly run in one shots because everyone is just messing things up on purpose to have a laugh, but that's no standard for me :)
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I try not to die/wipe at all because I feel a great deal of pressure reading nothing but how ridiculously easy everything is :(

Also because the kneeling looks completely ridiculous and makes absolutely no sense when one really thinks about it. Probably my biggest pet peeve of DCUO. :mad:
    • Like x 1
  18. Schimaera Devoted Player

Alert: group messes up 2 times at cyborg.
    RaidN: group ignores advice and keeps wiping 3 times tops
    RaidE: group ignores advice and keeps failing checks (usually it's too low dps or heal/power isn't enough). After a few successful elite runs it's about 60mins In when I start to lose patience.

Event: Immediately. Every groups that manages to wipe in seasonal instances deserves it lol. It's faster to re-queue instead of going for another run with a seasonal wipe group.
    • Like x 1
  19. Schimaera Devoted Player

That's the spirit ! :-*
    • Like x 2
  20. Caesar's Lion Dedicated Player

Not really answering the question directly but...

If I have the time & I think a group has the potential to beat something I'll stay as long as it takes, well until I have to go to bed or log out for whatever reason.

Back when I really only had a main & not much else, I'd have quite happily stayed in say DWF for 2 hours when it first came out trying to beat the first boss.

The game itself got so easy that I ended up with a lot of alts, 6 toons at 245+ & now a raid like DWFn would probably either be an inconvenience or make me adjust my playing habits.

Generally speaking if I know a particular instance is a step up then there has to be a greater level of tolerance & no rage quitting after a couple of wipes.

As far as content difficulty, I probably have a preference for solos & duos to be straightforward, alerts to be moderately challenging until levelled up a bit & then this enables raids to be a bit more challenging because it leaves me with more time to invest in said raids.
    • Like x 2