Toxicity/swearing/inappropriateness on consoles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Comixfan, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comixfan Committed Player

So I've recently come back to the game on Xbox, and I've been absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of toxicity, swearing, and inappropriateness there is going on not only in chat, but in character & league names too.

Not a day goes past that I don't see several people drop the racist "n" word in chat.

There are people swearing at each other and being extremely abusive in shout, LFG, and even Trade.

I've seen unbelievably inappropriate character names. One I recall with the aforementioned "n" word, and I've seen several with obvious sexual references.

One league name I recall seeing was the F***bois.

Many players on Xbox have absolutely no regard for the TOS because they know that people won't bother reporting them, and even if they do the reports go unfinished and ultimately go unactioned due to the way the report system was set up.

There's no easy way to report someone - you have to manually type in /report <name> reason. That alone puts many people off actually making a report.

If you could go to the Recent Text menu, select a player's name and select a Report option, I'm sure that there'd be many more reports made!

But then there's the other half of the reporting system - having to go to the Daybreak website to file a report there and mention the report made in game.

Honestly, how many console players who go to the trouble to manually make a report in game are then going to stop playing in order to go to a website on their console browser/PC/phone/tablet/whatever and file ANOTHER report?

I'm betting the answer is close to zero.

And in the meantime the toxicity, swearing, and inappropriateness goes unchecked.

Daybreak, if you really want to get more people into playing the game, then I'd suggest you start with overhauling the report system. Make it so that it's easy to select a player name and then report, and do away with the need for a redundant website report.
    • Like x 6
  2. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

This has been an issue since I started playing 5-6 years ago. It will probably still be an issue 5-6 years from now if the game lasts that long. But don't worry, the GMs take these matters seriously. They've told me so in every e-mail they've sent me. Of course, the people I reported are on my 'friends' list and log in everyday anyway.
    • Like x 2
  3. spack2k Steadfast Player

Yeah thats the problem ppl assume that by using the "n"word thats always an insult but it really depends how it is spelled cause there are 2 different ways here on EU and one way its an insult where other way its a slang and just used as a synonym for bro at least here on EU.

Urban Dictionary: *****

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*****
    Diese Seite übersetzen
    ***** is a word which evolved from the derogative term "******". Tupac best defined the distinction between the two. ******- a black man with a slavery chain around his neck. *****- a black man with a gold chain on his neck.
  4. Dreadshow Well-Known Player

Don't forget the unpunished cheating and exploiting.
    • Like x 4
  5. Knarlydude Loyal Player

The report system is a joke unless you do a follow up and then unless you have proof ( screenshots or video )
    you are pissing in the wind, uphill & without shoes. LOL...and that's no joke.
    ( most gaming companies that I have dealt with are like that )

Have you ever heard of the saying? This is what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum.
    In DCUO the inmates run the asylum.

1. This stuff has been bad for as long as I can remember it.
    2. DCUO has zero ingame moderation
    3. DCUO does not hold people accountable for almost everything done within the game itself.
    Why? I have no clue.
    4. SInce some of the inmates get away with murder the other good inmates start following suit.
    5. Now we have this mess called DCUO where you can lie, cheat, swindle people in trades & steal from the company itself without any real consequences except maybe a slap on the wrist.

It's not my company so they can do whatever they want. I'm just not going to pay anything else after my sub runs out and I suggest that you do the same. The toxic ingame, swearing, lying, cheating and stealing will continue because nothing never has been done & never will be done.
  6. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

Forum moderation is on point though, so there's that at least. Heaven for bid we say or do something out of line here where the investors can see...

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  7. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Good god can you people not bring up the exploit in every damn thread??
    • Like x 5
  8. DC Urban Committed Player

We get **** hole remarks from the devs when requesting here, ya get **** hole remarks when playing online with the players; it is what it is man....

People whom are higher up on the food chain act out, and sometimes lash at the players. So you really expect this community to be Pleasantsville? When the hierarchy are acting out? Really?

The community is reflective of the culture of DBG. It is bad all around, from the top to the worst sailor mouthed healer in the PUG.
    • Like x 1
  9. Comixfan Committed Player

What rubbish. It's a disgusting racist term no matter how you spell it and should never be used.
    • Like x 6
  10. Dene Devoted Player

Nothing anyone does will stop people saying it or get people in trouble for saying it

we have ignore.. that's the miracle fix
  11. Comixfan Committed Player

Ignore is not a fix. Ignore does not stop these people from saying the things they do or acting they way they are.

Daybreak need to revamp the report system to make it more accessible for people to file reports, and they need GMs to start logging into the game on console and slapping bans on the biggest rule breakers.

That would be "the miracle fix". Anything less than that is not good enough.

I doubt Daybreak are happy with their game getting such a bad reputation for all of the toxicity, racism, abuse and swearing so here's hoping that they are intending to do something about it.
    • Like x 2
  12. Dene Devoted Player

Apologies.. I was being sarcastic.. i find the behaviour/language of toxic players abhorrent

point is.. since i can remember whenever i said what you are saying, i was told i was a whiner and "just put em on ignore.. " - which i agree is not going to fix anything
  13. JKwak Well-Known Player

XBOX player are toxic, i would never ever ever play a game with PC/XBOX Crossplay but at least for EU PC, PS and Nintendo player are nice (except for some games like GTA and call of duty)
  14. TheCMS Well-Known Player

Toxicity is like, intertwined with online gaming on most platforms. Toxic players are as much a part of online gaming as the game itself. We could ask every human being in the world to be wholesome, but nobody would do it. Every game community is bad too. MOBAs, MMOs, FPSs. The nicest community I ever encountered was when I booted up Roblox. A game for children. The game made for children has the nicest community. Honestly with the way multiplayer gaming is, ignoring might not be the answer you want but its the only reliable thing we've got. As far as the reputation for a toxic community......honestly DCUO isn't even the worst MMO toxicity wise. I log onto BDO and instantly get "Are Traps XXX" spam.
    • Like x 1
  15. DC Urban Committed Player

Cyborg ca
    Racist when used online when we cant tell whom is Black, blue or green.

Not racist when used by Blacks, because the context changes when used by Blacks.

Just as C****** being used by Whites has a different context than being used by Blacks. If I greet you with a punch to the chest as i do at the gym, you will be offended (if not hurt) because you are out of the circle. However, if I gave one of my fellow gym rats a solid punch, someone whom is part of the brotherhood, they view it as a term of endearment. In both instances, it is for the safety of the outsider, so they will not get hurt.

But yeah, no place for it in an mmo, due to the anonymity. Some of the most viewed YouTube Black streams use it with regularity, does not affect their views. It is 2018, most people get it by now.
  16. Emerald Vibe Committed Player

i have seen and heard white kids in my neighborhood call each other the n word while they are skateboarding, i understand the way they use it is not the racist way but they seem to find it cool calling each other that, it just depends on how you take it.
  17. DC Urban Committed Player

That is my point, some Whites will always try to be funny and use it, hence Blacks took ownership of it because it will never go away. Doubt they use while putting their name on it. They keep it in house because they know it is out of context for them to use it.

The context changes once a White uses the word due to the history of the word. If Persians had an awful history with the word, they would be shunned when uses it, while Whites could get a pass to use it, as Hispanics, Middle-Easterners, and some Asians do.

DJ Khali is Middle-Eastern, but him and French Montana use the word with regularity, no outcries are heard. There were videos of JB, EM, and Hulk Hogan using it, they were lashed at, and Hogan was actually taken out of the HOF.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bnpvv8/has-wwe-kicked-hulk-hogan-out-of-the-hall-of-fame
  18. Shadow Force Committed Player

Toxicity is ok reason to report, racism, definitely, abuse, yes. But swearing is where i draw the line there is a thing called a profanity filter for that. Being reported because you sweared at someone and hurt hist/her feewings now that is total BS.
    • Like x 2
  19. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Ignore and profanity filter.

This is the internet, man..... People are gonna do what people do. You can't ban everyone.
    • Like x 1
  20. DC Urban Committed Player

Don't forget, these toxic people have pockets too. This is why I find it funny how SoH paces emphasis on a positive community. According to them, negative people will be delt with.....ooooh, is that $400 sir? Thank you:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.