PC players: to Steam or Not to Steam?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Black Dawn, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

So basically, who plays DCUO through steam? Who doesn't?

Personally I don't play through steam and I wanted to know how common it is.
  2. Vesper Dedicated Player

I play through Steam, my husband plays through the main client. Even though we are on the same network, my computer runs the game more smoothly through Steam with less lag. His machine lags less on the main client. So long as we can both play with minimum lag, it doesn't really matter.
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

I play through steam, because it's a great way to keep my games organized.
    • Like x 3
  4. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

A fun fact about the pc clients is that u can use your account in both steam or dcuo client. I just use the steam version to pruchase items. I think its rather strange the steam version to be better then the client version, why? One you are running just one program the other u are running at least 2 programs the steam and the game. However i dont belive this to be notorious impactful, in other words, the dcuo client is better in terms of cpu cost, but like i said isn't something notorious, so u may have a bad set up settings(can also cause lag):D

About the lag problem, i still think its rather strange for you to experience less lag on the steam. There is a think called sockets and ports on your computer and is thanks to them u are able to play online. Basicaly the ports tell the room where the socket is going to listen. There are some special ports that have high priority like port 80 and so applications tend to use it. However 1 port can only be used by one socket at the time.

For some reason, maybe because the "default port"(usualy an high priority port) is in use, the dcuo client will be forced to run in a normal port and so it may cause u abit of lag:D
    The same applys for the steam client, if the "default port"(usualy an high priority port) is ocupied it will be forced to use a normal port.

It's Science or is it Magic?
  5. Saami Loyal Player

Through steam.
  6. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Non-steam, though I do have both versions installed.
  7. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

The main client. I see no reason to use a third party service when I have full access already, without it.
    • Like x 5
  8. Xibo Loyal Player

Steam here.
  9. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I only use Steam anymore to buy stuff with my Steam wallet. I usually play without it.
  10. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Episodes are cheaper on Steam. I'd be stupid to buy elewhere.

Other than that it can help with performance to switch to standalone.
  11. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

Never knew that. Since I pretty much only play as legendary anyway, it wouldnt really make any difference to me anyway, but if I do ever decide to go to premium then Ill keep this in mind.
  12. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Never played it through Steam.

And from the constant complaints about Steam related DCUO purchase I hear about, I'm glad I just use the launchpad.
  13. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

i dont do it, somwetimes content is late getting too it So yeah...
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Believe may have had Steam once, years ago, before EQ2 (possibly even before EQ1, can't remember, just it was a loonnngggg time ago), have always preferred using the Stand-alone client, even when SOE tried to force us to use 'Hub' (or something)
    Personally, if you need to use something like Steam to keep track of games or whatever, there's something wrong going on with you...
  15. bartngaue Well-Known Player

16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Not on Steam.

I didn't even know it existed when I started the game and I'm not sure it was available for DCUO then.

And because of some misguided info, Steam and I don't get along, so that bridge is ash.
  17. Saami Loyal Player

You have changed man... Your posts are very negative lately. Whats wrong with you? What happened?
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, haven't really changed, if anything, may no longer give a crap about pleasing people, people have always attacked me even when posting 'nice', so why not give them something to gripe about
  19. Tocimus Committed Player

Steam, bcuz thats where i bought the original version a week or so after launch. Still, also good to keep in touch with those that have moved on to better games.
  20. Capitaine Courage Active Player

When I first played (when the game went F2P) it was through Steam. I also bought the first 2 DLC through it.
    When I came back some months ago after something like a 2 years long hiatus, when my characters were lost in the Prosieben / SOE transfer (EU player) I had problem with Steam, so now I play trhough the standalone client.

On the other hand, I still play Planetside 2 through Steam.
    If I want to spend, whether it is on PS2 2 or DCUO, I log in PS2 2 trhough Steam to recharge my Daybreak account with my steam Wallet. I have all-acces (still a good offer on PC if you play more than one of their games)