Name Validation And Cross Play

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Necro Maat Well-Known Player

Just sharing from page 7
  2. HarryHell Well-Known Player

Damn, just read this, then i dont really have any feelings a merger (if u can even call it that). I cant see the problem with having ur PS-accounts available on PC and other way around.
    Maybe it'll crowd servers more, if it'll do the efffects would be temporary and the PS3 players would disapear sooner into other platforms.
    Maybe it'll give marketplace issues, well run the same offers on both side, same price for subs, make a currrency that works on both sides, or keep them seperate meaning u cant buy PS stuff with ur PC currency when playing on PS
  3. ShdwLass New Player

With the PS/PC cross play, all instances where PS and PC players are together will be rendered in 8 bit so there will be no lag and everyone will be equal.
  4. HarryHell Well-Known Player

Basically this looks like a way to keep the pc-player community alive, as it wont give you much else than shorter q times if i understood this correctly
    • Like x 2
  5. chubbychase New Player

Well, from someone who made the mistake of buying too much on a PC account before owning a PS4 et friends and having what is now "playing on a toaster"...that sucks balls. Will a transfer service similar to Warframe's be considered with the introduction of cross platform? Even if it is a one timer?

Well, obviously not right now. But I was hoping the same. At least we can look forward to more villains, so that's always a plus.
    • Like x 1
  6. DustyAnkh Loyal Player

This makes me wonder about Leagues now, too.

Will one of the Justice Girls leagues have to be renamed ?
    • Like x 1
  7. HarryHell Well-Known Player

my pc is 3 years old and can handle DCUO just fine. Most relativily new computers can handle it and you can adjust graphics, so it'll run smoother, and though u will be one of the stubborn ppl left on ps3, many would have left the paltform to other options to get less lag, and ps3 issues.
    For the game and community in general getting rid of the ps3 is the best option, but devs cant close it for ps3 because
    1. they'll lose to many players
    2. They promised not to.

PS3 has hardware issues, and can barely handle what game already got, so devs will all the time have to find a way to work around the probs to implement new stuff, specially powers and such.
    • Like x 1
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I'm hoping this happens but based on what people have said about PSN, I'm not holding my breath. With that being said, it doesn't seem to be against PSN policy to disallow transfers to be made if other games are doing it. But I don't know much about it so I'm not really thinking about it.

I think linking might be harder than transferring because I can't imagine Sony being too happy that I buy all my **** from the Station website or through Steam but play it on the PS4 through PSN, but then I guess it depends whether PSN actually hosts any of the game or merely provides a gateway into the game.

At the very least, I hope they create a feature to clone characters to a different server. Effectively our characters are nothing more than data in a database. There is nothing physical to move. Therefore, my hope is they develop a feature which allows us to pay and clone our character, in it's exact form at the time of cloning, onto another server/platform of our choosing. I can't see too many issues in copying the data stored about my character on the EUPS database and duplicating it the USPS database. But I guess that depends on their database infrastructure.
  9. HarryHell Well-Known Player

Lol imagine if it was, truckloads of dcuo characters being transfered with trucks busses n such.

Over to a more serious note, the clone feature should have been made when game started :p
    • Like x 2
  10. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

If Cross Play becomes a reality, will PC and PS players then be able to mail/trade things with one another via broker or mail amenities, or will these remain separate, as well?
    • Like x 2
  11. akaivy Dedicated Player

I don't care about the names. I am who I am and that's who I'll stay.

I am concerned about the cross play. While this is an excellent dream and great idea in theory, I am concerned about the hardware capabilities between varying pc's and the ps4 and ps3. We have enough lag issues as it is. Will this lag increase if we are playing with someone with a slower processor? Then there is the video to consider. I bought a PS4 because of the graphics. How will playing with someone with lower graphic capabilities than the ps3 affect gameplay?

PC's are more susceptible to virus and hacking. Will this put my PS4 at risk? It's not like we have virus protection for ps4.

Like I said, personally, names are not a great concern for me, so increasing the number of people who share the same database is not a big deal (to me). I just don't want my game quality to suffer because I am playing with people with such a different operating system.
  12. Sore Steadfast Player

It depends on whether it's a copy or move. If it's a move, you wouldn't continue to play on PS and PSN would have lost a customer. If it's a copy, how can PSN be assured you won't end up playing more on PC than PSN, in turn spending more money on PC than PSN? How can PSN be assured that they won't lose money in allowing that kind of transaction? Keep in mind that more players play on PS than PC, meaning that PSN has more at stake to lose in that scenario. The only way I can picture that working is if PSN gets a cut of all your future DCUO-related purchases on your Station account. That might be possible but SOE might not have the technology for it. If they do have the technology for it, PSN might have some terms and conditions that might not be compatible with the established practices of Station (think sales, membership entitlements, privacy practices, etc.).

Keep in mind that PSN might have the argument that they brought you to the table. They'd argue that you'd never have started playing DCUO in the first place if it wasn't for PSN. These were probably some of the discussion/negotiating points between SOE and SCEA/SCEE when they first agreed to make DCUO available on PSN. SCEA/SCEE probably said, by being on our platform we're bringing customers to you that you wouldn't have otherwise. So expect that we get a cut of those customers and will maintain a long term interest in their spending. PSN and SOE probably both think of you as customers but PSN probably thinks they own your customer relationship first and foremost. They're well aware that the value of your account is through your investment in the characters attached to that account. They're likely to be very cautious about permitting this activity without it being very narrowly structured in their favor.
  13. ThatGuyLee Committed Player

14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

What is the excuse this morning???

Is there another PVP war in Metro??

Because there is about 8 of us in the WT this morning.
  15. guardzman New Player

What happens if you have accounts on both pc and ps ? Do i get to merge them and pick the ones i want to keep or do i lose a whole section. I would love to be able to play my ps characters on the pc and vice versa
  16. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Just by comparison.. there are at least 15 to 20 guys dueling in the WT .... and a couple dozens at the various banks/brokers.

And various others spread through the WT.
  17. Cold Fuzion New Player

18. chubbychase New Player

I keep calling it transfer, and they call it transfer, but essentially, that's what Warframe does. Your account/character data from one server (PC/PS4) gets cloned to the other (PS4/PC). That said, they don't have cross-play between PC & PS4 yet, but DC giving the news might indicate that it may become easier for other games to do the same. It's pretty exciting news.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ultimate BioHazard Well-Known Player

Haha great comment... but yep they better do so ^^
  20. Redman_x Well-Known Player

This whole thing seems suspect if you ask me. Announcing the cross play the same day most people were deceived into thinking they could get a certain name they wanted (and buying multiple rename tokens) seems like damage control and it's deflecting the issue of not initially informing us PS and PC players had to share names.

And then to just come out and tell us PS and PC players can play the actual game together on the same server but not the test server is just hog wash. Something doesn't seem right here.
    • Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.