Is clipping still a thing?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Paschar, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Dylan Top5 New Player

lol, WoW... Good luck, tell me how it goes, I'd love to run a raid with you when you when you learn the game mechanics :)

No excuses this time ;)
    • Like x 1
  2. Dcon34DCUO Loyal Player

If one thing in WoW takes more skill than DCUO, then it is raiding. Coordinating that many people to do their jobs correctly is a lot more challenging than 8 people, even if it is a PUG.
  3. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Once upon a time
    In a live stream far away
    The developers told the players about jump CANCELING
    then later said the jump CLIPPING was an exploit

The exploiters are still bitter that they can no longer cheat to beat their teammates in PvE (cooperative) instances where they should be working as a team anyway and are using their seemingly-poor grasp of the English language to justify their glitching the game (as in CANCELING = CLIPPING in their vocabulary, apparently). Either that or they are intentionally misquoting Tunso and Spytle to try to gain sympathy for their lost cause. Just ignore them.

But, no

Clipping - as it was - is no longer in the game.
    There is still some actual intended clipping, but it is much slower and doesn't glitch animations.

Weapon Mastery, however, is a whole different story.
    • Like x 4
  4. ACW37162 Loyal Player

Not vital at all, but there are ways to mix in old schools clipping into rotations to increase DPS.

Look at Kaisers gadgets load out sans emp to get the just of how you can incorporate irbid you so choose but you don't have to by any means anymore
    • Like x 1
  5. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Using Weapon mastery is the strongest option now. It's followed by using your powers awesome mechanic. Then theres clipping which using the best weapon for it, weapon mastery and your awesome mechanic approaches weapon mastery but with every other weapon its lower than awesome mechanics. Clipping alone is far below that. And finally you have the rest.

Hopefully they'll make it all 3 balanced like they said, but until then that's how it rolls.

P.S. Mental, Ice, and light are getting thier awesome mechanic next update and quantom soon after.
  6. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

oh, Jump Canceling? they truncated to uselessness. Some of the intended clipping - inter-power animation clipping, weapon to power animation clipping - that still works, but 'jump - > weapon / power spam - > jump - > weapon / power spam' is NOT a thing any more, and better (multiple and more involved) systems for damage output exist now.
    • Like x 3
  7. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Hold, Cast

Yay, top DPS

You might be interested in the alternative
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast
    Hold, Tap, Hold, Cast

but that's got a whole other input so the difficulty is really hard to pull off.
    • Like x 4
  8. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

the truth is, there are a lot of old-school players around who are still convinced that jump canceling was the most "skillful" thing in the known gaming universe - and it's not, it never was. if you want a *real* skill-intensive, combo based game, go play street fighter; the most complicated thing a DCUO player has ever been able to do is somewhere in the neighborhood of 'learning to two-in-one a jab/hadouken combination' - we call that 'day one'.

DCUO is hack and slash with a very basic combo system and a truckload of RPG-style options that affect your raw output and allow you to create a character conducive to how you best enjoy chopping things up. of the MMO combat systems out there, it was innovative (and compared to a lot of MMO combat systems out there, it is still very function-intensive) and still retains a lot of that innovation, but the focus has moved away from specific systemic exploit damage to multiple universally approachable damage output systems.

Look up Advanced Mechanics for Electricity, Gadgets, and Earth for a decent intro into the 'newest' thing. Don't believe the hype when it comes to WM either - it's good, but you still have to make the right decisions for it not to suck, and unless you stick to that "flavor of the month" bandwagon, you're going to be doing some work to get those results.
    • Like x 3
  9. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

and this is the real difference between WM and Jump Canceling.
  10. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

What he said. If clipping being the only way to get results was what pissed you off, then buddy, you came back at the right time.
    • Like x 4
  11. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not lol.

But yeah, jump canceling only required 1 additional input to execute and it was deemed to hard or skillful depending on your point of view. The devs didn't have a problem with jump canceling at all, what they had a problem with was the phantom triangle and so they taped on the dove tails and gutted the weapons that were viable with it.

But my point is that yes, clipping still exist but it's most definitely not the best option to get results.
  12. Shad0wReap3r Committed Player

**Advanced mechanic, there is no such thing as an "Awesome Mechanic". Secondly, it truly depends on your power on whether you mix WM and AM together, and some powers perform better with AM alone rather than WM(Celestial). WM is supposed to be performed as a WM attack followed by a Burst power, AM is supposed to be performed on its own without WM included and reach the same potential.

I will say though, all powers are different, as Rage I mix WM and AM to perform at peak damage, as Celestial I use purely Celestial combos and perform at peak damage and even out damage many full 94 gear people (my dps gear is 1/2 Vestments 90 gear).
    • Like x 2
  13. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Agreeing with... I'm actually laughing right now, that's the best description of the actual dispute between the 'weapon mastery is acceptable enough' camp and the 'jump cancel/clipping is the only way to go I HATE U WM FUUUU BROOOO' camp.
    • Like x 1
  14. ChuckLess New Player

Love it. People are still defending clipping as if it was an intended "super secret" mechanic.

Not saying that WM was a good alternative, but it certainly proves that "clipping" was an exploit in the system.

That said, I'd rather "clipping" over this 2 button-max damage system...

Is this game playable on Tablets yet?
    • Like x 1
  15. Dcon34DCUO Loyal Player

Wait til DLC 25 and it'll be on Tablet. We can already play it on the Vita.
    • Like x 2
  16. DlVlNlTY New Player

Wasnt a skill huh? Ok thats your opinion but then please explain to me why soooo many players could not do it? It consisted of jumping and hitting another button to cancel the jump and activate another power. And clipping is hitting 2 powers milliseconds apart which is what JCing was, except people clipped the jump and not the power. So cmon explain to me why so many couldnt do it? Dont tell me whether or not it took skill to do it, just explain why so many couldnt. The fact that people cant learn to clip is ridiculous, especially since the devs have stated many times it is intended. The good dps found ways to do higher dmg with JC, phase dodge, ect. Then the noob crowd complained because they COULD NOT DO IT, so it was changed. Thats exactly what happened, u know, i know it, any1 that has played this game for longer than a year knows it.
    • Like x 1
  17. DlVlNlTY New Player

This is ridiculous. Go watch the WM livestream where spytle says "clipping is intended and we are keeping it in the game." That 100% proves what u said in your post is wrong. Its not an exploit when the creative director says its intended. Im guessing spytle could come sit next to u in your house why u play dcuo and tell and show u that clipping is intended and u would still say its an exploit. Funny how people believe what they want even when its 100% wrong and proven to be wrong.
    • Like x 2
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Some people still can't hit the WM combo window either. Not everyone is capable of doing everything. And not everyone has to be able to do a specific thing for it to be an exploit. That's not really the issue here though, is it?

You know what the difference is? The WM combo system is still subject to some form of intentional scrutiny and some attempt is made at balancing it. Maybe not with GREAT results, but tweaking can eventually result in some form of balance existing - it's ALREADY HAPPENING.

With Jump Canceling? If you think the 'Flavor of the Month' thing is bad now, at least that flavor changes these days. Jump Canceling literally = take whatever the highest output weapon and highest output powers are, slap them together and spam.

Stated like that it sounds EXACTLY LIKE THE ARGUMENT MADE MOST OFTEN AGAINST WEAPON MASTERY.

Except for this : like I said a minute ago, some attempt at balance is being made for WM. And as so many people are quick to point out, 'WM makes any power valid' - when's the last time you could say that with any truth during the era of JC?

And it looks prettier that 'Attack - > Jump - > Attack - > Jump - > Attack - > Jump'.
    • Like x 2
  19. MentosTroll Loyal Player

You can still jump cancel Plasma Retch and get all the damage. If you want to jump-cancel like the old HL, then go to rage.
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

there you go.