Solo Content & DLC Storylines.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GregDawe, Sep 8, 2014.

1. GregDawe New Player

DLC storylines. At the moment, they are told by running the instances of each DLC in a particular order, with no reward other than what you get from each instance.
    There is nothing stopping you from running the last instance in the storyline 1st and vice versa.
    There are no cut-scenes and the story telling is boring and bland as hell.

Instances to me are getting tedious. They are becoming a repetitive aspect of a game that could be so much more, and frankly should be so much more.
    I don't mind running instances, but really, what else is there to do?
    There is no benefit to running old content either unless you are chasing feats.

Solo content.
    The leveling content was great fun, each mission generally short and sharp, but told stories really well with an awesome comic cut-scene at the end.
    The solo runs in DLC from, less amusing, kind of just thrown in to add more content.

This game is an MMO yes, but it fails to feel like an actual traditional video game.
    You know, the offline kind of aspect of games.
    Running missions on your own, or sometimes with a mate, chasing down leads, running missions ect.
    That is a grind I am interested in.
    Change up the rewards for that as well.

Make me feel more like a Superhero/Supervillain.
    Right now I feel like just another character in another game spamming buttons and killing the same boss over and over.
    I want a heap of long (and I mean will literally take days/weeks of playtime) solo missions that I run for 2 or 3 different Iconics relevant to each DLC. Maybe 2 from the DLC, 1 from your mentor as a side(optional) mission.

Maybe have it so you have to do the story-line solo missions to unlock each instance as you progress?
    (or not, maybe not, cos that would force everyone to run the solo stuff)

Rewards other than gear for yourself.
    Lair upgrades (radar enhancements ect. make it feel like I have an Alfred in my Batcave),
    Lair items that are intractable and customisable (I can't even sit on my own throne!!)
    Sidekick progression, earn an item that makes him/her hang around permanently (outside of instances), earn exp for it and level it's stats your own way by spending exp. Customising it's costume has been mentioned, but let's go nuts with it.

Give me something I can knock out in my own time that is a burden on noone if I do or don't do it, if I am good at it or not, and something that can tie me over for the full 3 months between DLC's that doesn't seem like the same old instances re-skinned.

1 on 1 boss fights is where you get your fun.
    That's where you can go nuts with boss mechanics because it is all on you.

Thoughts?
    • Like x 19
  2. spack2k Steadfast Player

agree, DLC storyline are horrible told for last 3 DLCs !
    • Like x 2
  3. Tazzaxe Dedicated Player

One thing I felt Everquest did right, was your "Epic Weapons". An EXTENSIVE quest with 101 accomplishments including solo events as well as raids specifically targeted for you.
    • Like x 1
  4. GregDawe New Player

And that is the kind of thing I am missing.
    Something I can sit back and has out on my own so that there is no rush, no responsibility on others.
    I want to be able to sometimes run my Character alone on a good mission or two fighting crime as a superhero in my own district kinda thing.
    Once the JL was formed, Batman just didn't stop saving Gotham solo style like he used to.
    • Like x 5
  5. GregDawe New Player

WotL & AF have the potential to be alright stories, but I think due to the poor delivery of the story so far, I have more or less forgotten where it is going and am therefore no super excited for the next parts.
    • Like x 2
  6. Tazzaxe Dedicated Player

Errm ok, you scare me, you "hero's" :p Even Batman is villainous. They've even turned Wonder Woman a bit darker. But the idea of an epic feat is a good one. For us "Villains".
  7. GregDawe New Player

Hahaha oh 100%.
    Could you imagine having Sinestro and Arkillo guiding you through a full solo mission telling you to use your intimidation to strike fear in people to get to a result?
    Or Queen Hipolyta in AF giving you some missions and then going back and forth from her and Circe's instructions in different parts, but unknown to either, the other is getting you to do little things to sabotage the other?
    • Like x 2
  8. guardzman New Player

My thoughts are that all new content have a related solo, duo, 4 man alert, and a raid or operations in there that you cannot attempt until the preceding missions are done. This would allow a story line to play out and insure players are geared a bit more appropriately . Ongoing story lines make the difference between a story and a tank and spank to me . Much of the lower level missions do relate to the higher tiers but a cut scene to maybe remind us would be nice as well . i would also love to see us be able to pick an enemy at creation that would spawn specific stories for us that would allow a richer, fuller in game experience.
    • Like x 3
  9. Dezaras Loyal Player

Crazy idea for sidekicks but it'd be cool if they could run duos as our partners.
    • Like x 3
  10. Crimson Jonni New Player

I just hope the solo isnt as dull as wonderwomans. Idk why but that was easily the most boring one imo
    • Like x 1
  11. GregDawe New Player

You mean the iconic vision or the new gotham stuff?
    The iconic vision is terrible,
    but I personally don't mind the new gotham stuff.
    That's the kind of stuff I am talking about having
    A massiveley extended version of that
    • Like x 1
  12. krimzonk Committed Player

I have to agree that since the comic-book style cut-scenes were stopped after the Battle for Earth DLC, the storyline of every DLC that has come after it has been very poorly explained. In Origin Crisis after completing the two raids Batman just gives us 2-3 lines of bogus aka "Lex will comeback, thank you." Sons of Trigon, WOTL Part 1, Amazon Fury Part 1, and Halls of Power all have interesting storylines but the in-game explanation of whats going on is vague and just plain boring.
    • Like x 3
  13. GregDawe New Player

Have them run MISSSIONS as partners.
    Get in one awesome writer who can take on these core solo missions and side missions.
    If he/she is really talented, they will somehow do missions for each existing DLC, written in a way that has Easter Eggs from past and for future DLC's.
    Cos what kind of comic book is a good story without hints of other things here and there?
    • Like x 2
  14. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

I'm thinking they are doing something similar to the earlier "Challenges" for future solo instances. Spytle said something at SOE Live, related to content being broken up, but said something like, 'Some content may have nothing to do with the trilogy storyline'. This, in effect, frees them up from giving us, "Wonder Woman/Circe" iconic (I absolutely hate playing someone else's character) visions simply because it has to do with the trilogy and allows them to give us a solo involving something else. I'm not sure of this is what they are planning by any means, it's only a guess, or hope really... hoping that we are not given another awful 'Legends' iconic solo ever again.
    • Like x 2
  15. GregDawe New Player

The only way I am ok with more solo runs where you are an Iconic, is if they incorporate them into the story of your full massive DLC solo mission.
    There could be one mission in Origin Crisis (for example) where you are given your mission, after you complete a bit of it in your timeline, you switch to Future Batman and he is in another timeline trying to line up certain events, then after that you switch back, do more of the mission and fight the final boss together.
    The part where you run as Future Batman has to take your gear into consideration though imo.
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

More solo content, good thing. More challenge modes, good thing.

We know PVE Legends is coming this could be interesting, however its put together. With solos hopefully.

Variety is needed and is usually a good thing.
    • Like x 3
  17. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

I'm just not a big fan of playing 'someone else's character', if I wanted to do that there are plenty of comic hero offline games I could be playing.

I am quite sure their original rational for the 'Iconic' solos was to get people to try, and then BUY, Legends characters... but since the majority of players aren't interested in doing that, it backfired, as even their game data shows very few players play the Iconic solos. :eek:

The whole premise of DCUO was "the next hero is YOU", of course, until they decide you need to play someone else to make them money. I have no qualms about them adding ways to make money, I do, however, have a problem in which they FORCE those who enjoy solos to play as a Legend character in order to run a solo in a DLC. I absolutely loved the lower level 'Challenge' solos and replayed them hundreds of times... but I've never once done the Iconics because, I didn't spend all this time, energy and money in creating and leveling my own character, just so I could be forced to play someone else's. So now it's the Open World solos that I run endlessly... but unfortunately, there's no Prestige that comes from those. Which is why I'm hoping that they'll have learned from their game data and be adding solo instances in which we can play our OWN characters in future DLCs. :D
    • Like x 4
  18. GregDawe New Player

And yet all these DLC's and group instances fail to make my character feel like a hero.
    As selfish as it sounds, for me to have my toon feel Heroic (or villainous) would be to have undivided attention from the public.
    Running solo content that has me taking care of a whole heaps of threads to a city, or a planet and the citizens looking up, writing headlines saying "If it weren't for that one guy, we would be in so much trouble, thank god for him".

That's the kind of thing I want.
    Make me feel kind of like I can do things better than other players,
    Make me feel like I am doing the things the Superman would be known for.
    • Like x 3
  19. Buckley Loyal Player

Player studio/Foundry... Create your own inspired story arcs or borrow from a tv series. That is where the answer lies. Now, how to persuade the dev team to give us some tools to do this.
    • Like x 2
  20. GregDawe New Player

First, in theory a great idea.

Secondly, seriously unrealistic. It would be stupidly heard to create a feature like that.

A lengthy solo mission per DLC that is written well and designed to tie in to every other solo DLC mission AND make you the people's hero/villain standing alone is what I want.