DCUO Census Data

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sbel Devoted Player

I don't really care one way or another. I'm just saying you don't need an ulterior motive to want data. You can just want it 'cuz it's cool. :p
    • Like x 1
  2. ChaosInternational New Player

Unless you have hard data on who does and does not want their info shared, you can't make such statements with any validity.

From my observation, the forum divide is about 50/50. I wonder what the rest of the player base really thinks of this topic.
    • Like x 7
  3. ChaosInternational New Player

Novelty...
  4. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Ok, that's your missed chance. Chances are high that the locked features will not come back as long as the character name stays. The argument also isn't circular - you fail to comeback since the last 3 posts.

You can insist of what things "should be", but they usually are not that way. Until you decided to get back to the inspect function for "third parties", this argument was getting closer to access useful data. And about the mask: I was not about to crucify you over it ;)
    • Like x 1
  5. Agent Flores Committed Player

I totally agree with you on the highlighted part.
  6. C0mmonSense New Player

It not about sharing data.

It about sharing Skill points, cr and stats which the dev have already said they want that.

I much rather have this just added in game. It solves all the problems. Hope they hear the feedback. If this was in game very few would be crying about seeing it out of game.

This is the data it should show you when you inspect someone.
  7. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Considering the 'overall' player base... only a few people visit the forum at all.

A solid mobile app is expected for a video game of DCUO's scope.
    Look at the description for PS2s App.... DCUO should be no less than this in depth and I hope more!
    You can do this if you start restricting character information.

PlanetSide 2 Mobile Uplink is the official app for SOE's Massively Multiplayer FPS PlanetSide 2.

The app features a comprehensive guide to weapons, vehicles, classes and more. Receive near real time character stats, leaderboards, and updates from PlanetSide 2.
    Plus voice chat to your character's outfit in the game!

There is an expansive library of community content as well.

Features at a Glance:

* All Weapons, Vehicles, Classes
    ➙ Basic and Detailed Stats
    ➙ Damage/FireRate/ReloadSpeed
    ➙ Filter by weapon type

* Character data
    ➙ Leaderboards
    ➙ Online status
    ➙ BattleRank
    ➙ Score/minute
    ➙ Cert points
    ➙ Player stats

* Maps
    ➙ Continent map overviews
    ➙ Live dynamic updates of territory and facility control changes

* iPhone/iPod Wallpapers
    ➙ PS2 backgrounds

* News
    ➙ PS2 News Feeds

* Community Content
    ➙ Dynamically updated content by the PS2 Community
    ➙ Search for PS2 Videos
    ➙ Videos and Video Channels
    • Like x 2
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Come on then, explain what point I've missed?
    • Like x 3
  9. Twilight Man New Player

I dont know how else to say this.

After playing this game for so long, your (developers) timing on adding things to the game that either should have been available upon release (like seeing a players skill points) or free (like Armories) instead of micro transactions...it really sucks.

Letting us play for years before implementing certain basic features/info...it sucks.

I accept it and deal with it to continue enjoying the game. But to put it bluntly instead of my normal type of response...your timing really sucks sometimes for me, 1 out of several million customers.

Please do not allow the app to be seen by non DCUO account holders
    Please do not list all of a players characters when a name is searched.
    Please do not list a players league name.
    Please do not eventually add some form of realtime image of the character searched.

Thank you.
    • Like x 7
  10. rival exe New Player

If you want to share that info you should be able to. But we should also be able to opt out of sharing it.
    • Like x 6
  11. ChaosInternational New Player

That's all good and well that the devs want it. So long as they can tolerate potentially alienating players and driving them away, it's all gravy.

However, if the devs are concerned about the entire player base, a reasonable compromise can and will be found. I know in a prior post I said I didn't care, I'd just ignore anyone abusing their new tool. That was premature, I do care. As a DCUO consumer, this is one feature I did not ask for, will not support/use and would rather we regressed back to when discovery wasn't as easy as taking candy from a baby.
    • Like x 4
  12. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Bah....so much for being done :(

1. I have no problem with anonymised data. The sort of data that lets you determine the number of tanks / controllers / cr500+ characters or whatever in-game. This seems to be primarlly what Mister Brees is interested in. Anonymisation would easily allow access to the time-stamped data people want without having to worry about those that are uncomfortable with the data being available. Yes, this does indeed look like a compromise to me.

2. My PSN has been viewable since the day I joined DCUO. Hell, it was viewable when I began my foray into online gaming via FPS. I'm not exactly hiding it right now. However nobody discriminates based on it. I won't go into the stalking / harrassment issues - I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable and eloquent amongst us.

3. I am comfortable with my CR and SPs being available. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't be in a league (aside from the point I'm currently leagueless because I can't find a good fit...hopefully you get my point). I don't see what use having access to my dom / resto / vit etc will do you...but I could get over that.

4. Feats? Now this is entirely based on a planned adjustement that Sore mentioned, and my interpretation of it - but I don't want people seeing which ones I've completed. Or specifically, I don't want you knowing which ones I haven't completed. I can see that being used for discrimination - "oh, no Paradox feats....well, no Paradox for you".

5. Opt-out. I truely fail to see how this could be a problem. If I chose to opt-out, then you could easily see that and exclude me from your group. I'm comfortable with that.

6. Some of the name-calling and use of irrelevant information (Funhouse folk are the ones objecting...blah, blah, blah) simply reinforces my belief that the general DCUO community cannot be trusted to use this data responsibly.

7. Don't even get me started on some of the "enhancement" requests I've seen. Although some of them would be useful (most kicks instigated), how exactly would "most ignored" be useful for anything other than griefing (even though if somebody is ignored by a large number of people, there's probably a reason for it)? Actually, even "most kicks instigated" would be used for greifing. Yes, yes...there is a postive use, but the single stat doesn't tell you that the kicks were deserved and appropriate.

8. Some of the information is insanely superfluous what use is it to know that I'm in my industrial themed lair?

Yay...individual points! Now don't say I don't make it easy for you to comment / rebutt them!
    • Like x 8
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

For me, it's not about privacy. It's about people treating incomplete information that can be easily misinterpreted as infallible, and as a result that information gets used with negative results, sometimes intentionally sometimes not.

Those numbers that are shown? They're just numbers, statistics. Nothing more. They won't tell you anything really substantial about the player behind them beyond whether or not they meet the qualifications set by the devs to run content. And since those numbers are statistics, they're subject to one of the biggest problems you can deal with in statistics: you can make them say anything you want.

It's evident in the threads that have popped up in the past and even in this one to an extent. You have people looking at those numbers and assuming that the player behind them is a good one, or that someone can solo heal a certain piece of content. You also have people saying that certain numbers mean someone's less-than-skilled and isn't capable of running any content at a certain level, sometimes going so far as to call them scrubs who just want to be carried through content. But it's all conclusion-jumping, because those numbers won't tell you squat about the players themselves. At best, they'll tell you about the player's potential, but not much more beyond that.

If more players in the community showed the tendency to realize those numbers are just numbers and that it comes down to the players themselves in the end, I'd have little to no problem with the information being displayed. But far too many people seem to think that the numbers are the be-all, end-all defining characteristics and determining factors in a player's worth and ability.

The numbers and statistics on my characters show what I have accomplished, but they do not define me as a player. What I can do with those characters is much more definitive. I am more than my numbers, as is everyone else. It's tough for me to advocate allowing those numbers to be viewable when there's far too many people that already misinterpret, misuse or even abuse the information.
    • Like x 5
  14. C0mmonSense New Player

Nothing about sharing data. It about inspecting a player and seeing their complete stats.

You can hide you sp by just playing with your league.

That is if what mepps is saying is true and they want us to see SP, CR and stats. That should be added in game ASAP. Then no one would cry about the apps.
  15. VintageWine Dedicated Player

What still bothers me a bit is how they just put this on us without consulting the community as a whole, I'll get over it eventually I just hope it doesn't happen again in the future.

Also to those that think high stats mean something...oh they do mean something that's if and only if the person's performance owns up to it, so don't let numbers fool you. Don't judge by the numbers you see.
    • Like x 4
  16. Frost New Player

Just cycle through the original discussion in Gotham city (gameplay bit) , now locked. I did pull out a video posted by some one about this. Skip to 8:40!

• Like x 2
  17. rival exe New Player

Technically that is data as well...It's all data. lol
    And no, I want to opt out of those as well. SP isn't part of the tier progression. There are no SP requirements for raids/alerts/solos/duos. If devs want that then they should just implement it instead of SP inspections. If it were up to me I'd hide gear inspections too. Players should evaluate on actions not numbers.
    • Like x 4
  18. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

But the same thing already exists in game with the ability to inspect. You can get a rough estimate of a players stats just by looking at his gear, this only expedites the process.

Also, we have to remember that likely only a very small portion of players will use this to form groups. Like very, very small, especially after the initial wave of excitement about it dies down.

The way I see it, if the information within the app is used to discriminate or kick me from a group, I dont want to be in that group anyway. I know that whatever role I q up for, I can perform better than 90% of the players that would replace me would. So kick me, or don't. It doesn't bother me either way. My main controller runs about 3100 vit at any given time, way less than some people out there, but I know with absolute certainty that I could solo-control anything. If I were to get kicked because of it, no skin off my back, I'll just run with another group.
    • Like x 3
  19. C0mmonSense New Player

Yeah it means something. So do low stats.....Almost every person that against this has under 121 SP. hmmmmmmm

I see a trend.....

oh i know people just are trying to hide their SP.

Instead of working on getting more. I completely understand it.

So as a pug they should let you run then half way through check the scoreboard? Then you would leave if you were way behind? Yeah i seem that happen NEVER.

• Like x 2
  20. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Nah, it's a phase. Right now it's a new toy to spy on everyone and get an unfiltered look at the real character, not the one the player claims to be. It'll soon wear off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.