Are the DCUO Devs going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Radioactive Spider, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Statman New Player

Franky, DCUO has strayed far from where it was in 2011 when I was completely infatuated with the game, so in all honesty... for me, the game is going in the wrong direction. That's just for me though, I do see where they are going now as better for the game's longevity. I still do play the game so I don't dislike where it's heading, I just preferred what it was 2 and a half years ago. :p
    • Like x 2
  2. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I'm curious, what is it that you don't really like? The fact that it's F2P now, or something else?
  3. Statman New Player

Like I said in the very last sentence, it's not that I don't like it, it's that I preferred the game in 2011, lol.

It's not something I really put a finger on, it just doesn't hold my interest anywhere near as much. It's not a shiny and new game, but there is a constant flow of shiny and new content coming out, so I'm not sure it's that I'm getting tired of the same old thing. It could just be that we no longer truly visit Iconic DC locales (I'm from a comic background, not an MMO background), instead we get areas invented by the game or alternate versions of what we already have.
    • Like x 2
  4. details26 Committed Player

No one would need to be ''balanced'' if there was no scoreboard.
    The amount of kicking would go down if there was no scoreboard.
    We wouldn't have to cry all day about staying competitive if there was no scoreboard.
    Most of these nerf threads would dwindle down if there was no scoreboard.

I have this crazy Idea, that I know you guys would love to hear hahaaaa, they should remove the scoreboard. Maybe even for a week just to see how it would be.
    • Like x 1
  5. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I misinterpreted your previous post, my bad lol.

I understand your point though. I think the ps3 will be stop being supported in about 2 years by DCUO and then I think we will end up getting things that are a bit more detailed I guess.
  6. Statman New Player

Hmm... I'm not sure it's really going to depend on the PS3 being cut off, moreso the stories and where they are chosen to take place, how they are told, etc. It would just be nice to see some new iconic places being used.
    • Like x 2
  7. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

Well you have to keep in mind, the ps3 is pretty much at it's maximum already (or relatively close to). The ps4 has about the same capacity as slightly above middle ground gaming PCs (I think). So they don't really have the memory to work with in order to create areas like Atlantis and areas of the sort.
    • Like x 1
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

i predict by next January.... ps3 will be phased out by this game
    • Like x 1
  9. Statman New Player

It's the RAM that's pushing it from my understanding, but things like new areas wouldn't exactly eat into that, as there's loading from one area to another, so only the active area functions in the RAM. That also wouldn't stop them from creating instances using iconic locations either, RAM is only for what needs to be accessed without requiring a loading time, such as power animations, weapon animations, local area assets, etc.

Power sets are truly what is pushing the limits of RAM, and I doubt we'll see more of those while the PS3 is receiving updates coz from what I've heard, they're pushing the barrier fairly hard with the new power sets.
    • Like x 2
  10. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

Oh well, I don't know then. I'm staying optimistic anyways though. To me they seem to be doing the right stuff, making additional stories etc... I understand your point as well though.
    • Like x 2
  11. Statman New Player

I just have a dream of being completely in the centre of the DC Comics Universe, and with all the lower level alerts and stuff I was, as many of them are iconic locales. I just see the game has drifted from that a little bit. :p We still visit many iconic DC locales in top tier content, many of them are just the same old ones we've been to before though.
    • Like x 4
  12. ApolloMystique New Player

i like the idea of improving weapon attacks, as i am very weapon-centric...but powers need to be more balanced...electric and iconic powers need a huge, HUGE revamp
    • Like x 1
  13. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

We have 7 out of the 12 powers that are all pretty equal at the moment in my opinion. The ones out of the loop currently are Fire, Earth, Electricity, Quantum, and Ice. The rest all put out about the same amount of damage.
    • Like x 2
  14. ApolloMystique New Player

i know...it's been long enough...we need to finish balancing
  15. Dump Truck New Player

Please provide solutions then.
  16. Dump Truck New Player

You sir.... are correct.
  17. Dump Truck New Player

Do you have a response to my post? I actually respect you as I know we are both since launch and have the OG batman.
  18. Statman New Player

Umm... let me look it up, I didn't read the thread before posting, as I only aimed at coming in here and posting my personal opinion. I'll get back to ya on it.
  19. Dump Truck New Player

Page 5. More to come... I have to address replay badges and how it plays towards longevity of the game.... but that's obviously a sensitive subject.
  20. MrMigraine Devoted Player

We're actually visiting a lot of new iconic areas; I don't think that is the core of the problem. It's the scope of these new areas.

Mogo and Ranx are iconic locations in DCU lore, but their implementation into the game has been a bit lackluster. Instead of sprawling Open World areas like Smallville (or even Area 51), they're small claustrophobic hallways. The same was true of Krypton and Oa: bite-sized pieces of the DCU. (Or byte-sized :) )

We 'visit' these areas … we just don't VISIT … and that's probably a PS3 limitation. If the devs could create a Wasteland-sized piece of Iconic real estate, I'd be much happier.
    • Like x 1