Devs, let's talk about Phase Dodge...

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Giggles, Feb 4, 2014.

1. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

You're dead set on a nerf, this is one of those rare situations where it really doesn't warrant going to the nerf route to establish a balance. Either way you'd be changing one power, why go the nerf route? I'm still waiting for a valid reason they have to nerf it rather than buff AD?
  2. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Maybe a PC thing i never even see AD used in pvp
  3. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Someone surely is using it to make people rage thinking they can't BB them? if not, you should be having fun with it! :D
    • Like x 1
  4. Ogat New Player

It has other drawbacks that counteract not beeing able to be blockbroken which are:
    - not being able to take any action if you want to maintain the defensive buff
    - not beeing able to damage your opponent in any way if you want to maintain the buff
    - using up power which in pvp is a scarce resource not to be used carelessly especially in 1v1 situations
    - You still will take damage while under the effect while doing nothing to your opponent at the same time if you want to keep the defensive buff
    - it has no damage or reflect component, and unlike block it does not allow you to counter your oppenent to gain immunity and deal damage to him in the process.

If you campare it to any other defensive power in the game especially those costing power points- all of them are stronger/more potent atmitigating damage.
    The only reson Phase dodge is used is because it's the only beneficial power in the game with such a fast cooldown AND cancelable animation making it ideal for fast clipping, which like i stated in my previous posts is not necessary abad thing and benefits the weaker/slower powersets the most.

I do agree an alternative should be presented for nonspeedsters be it an iconic power or an option in the respective movement trees, but the power itself as it is now is fine.
    • Like x 2
  5. Kid Sorbet New Player

No. As someone else pointed out, you'd drain your bar almost instantly using PD to clip every rotation. And it's even harder to keep up with power with the new gear.

I certainly would. I struggle to have all of the powers I want on my bar as it is, let alone considering adding something like PD.

Why does it matter if it's purchased with a skill point or a power point?

As has been pointed out before, animation canceling is an intended part of game play.

I PvP quite I bit. I literally never run into people using PD in PvP.

No. You're intentionally muddying the waters and obfuscating by calling PD a shield. It is not a shield. By your standards, let's just call Might Precision and Precision Might. Why not, everyone would clearly understand, right?

OK, so you have a problem with a power being able to animation cancel but not a consumable. OK. Also, the cooldown on something like Karmic Hex is extremely short.

It's a lot like AD. The fact that one costs a power point and one costs a skill is moot and not relevant to the discussion. They work in similar ways as far as damage mitigation does and AD does some damage which PD does not.

As has been demonstrated to you over and over again, PD is fine as is and is working as intended. This sort of calling for nerfs is in violation of the forum guidelines, fyi.
    • Like x 2
  6. Femto Well-Known Player

is this still going on lol use consumables if you really wanna clip
  7. AST0NISHING New Player

Semi true it's still outclassed by Hl,celes,rage,gadgets and maybe quan tho
  8. Giggles Loyal Player

With controllers dishing out the power they currently do, the power cost of PD is irrelevant in both PvP and PvE. Its actually going to be easier to keep up because they are lowering the power cost penalty of the T5 gear significantly.

I am sorry but if anyone has to decide between PD in its current state over any other power, they are doing something wrong, PD is too good to pass up in it's current state.

PS and PC PvP are night and day differences, we PC plays can clip 10x faster than any of you PS players can on a gamepad. Just because there is no problem on your server, does not mean a problem does not exist.

I have nothing against animation cancelling, what I have an issue with is a travel skill (phase dodge) that cancels quicker than any other skill/power available in the game, and it can also be used as a form of damage mitigation, and it only costs a single skill point and is available only to one form of movement mode. It is too strong for a measly SP skill. this is about nothing more than balance.

By my standards it is a shield, as it mitigates damage. You and anyone else can call it whatever you like, the fact that it doubles as a clip aide and a form of damage mitigation, all for the cost of a measly skill point is an alarming issue. Also, just in case you aren't aware of the definition of shield as a verb...https://www.google.com/#q=define shield. PD is the very definition of a shield, according to the link I provided. ;)

It is nothing like AD. The only similarity between PD and AD is they both serve a purpose for mitigating damage. Other than that they have nothing in common. AD cannot be used to clip in the same fashion as PD. The fact AD costs a power point is huge, you do realize we only get 15 power points right? That is a pretty big one there. Phase Dodge costs a skill point, we get an abundance of SP's.

Nothing you or anyone who shares your point of view has demonstrated anything to prove me and the the others who share my perspective, wrong. Each argument you have attempted to make in your favor has been proven to be a flawed argument. We are simply pointing out that something is out of line compared to similar abilities of other movement modes. If PD is to be adjusted that is for the devs to decide. However, I think all the facts we have provided here is plenty of proof that something is wrong and should be looked into. We are simply making the devs aware of a problem. How they fix it is for them to decide. :)
  9. Giggles Loyal Player

The fact a beneficial power doubles as both a clip aide and a form of damage mitigation is out of line. Name another beneficial power that mitigates damage and has the same cooldown as PD? There isn't one that is anywhere near PD's superiority. Which is precisely why PD should be looked into.

However, because Dust Off and Perfect Poise are both 50% SC's, I think Phase Dodge should also become a 50% SC. Personally PD and Dash Attack should be combined all into one skill. This way it is exactly what Dust Off and Perfect Poise are, and prevents PD from being abused to the extent it currently is.
  10. Giggles Loyal Player

I never used that word. I just feel the best way to balance it is to bring it in line with similar powers. Again this goes back to the whole fixing one power is easier than fixing multiple powers. It is much easier to bring the one power that is out of line, in line with the rest.

As far as how to fix it, again since PD gives the same exact stats as Dust Off and Perfect Poise, I propose they merge Dash Attack and Phase Dodge into one 50% SC. This way Super Speed has the same get away ability as Perfect Poise and Dust Off at 50% SC, and all movement modes are then made equal in that aspect.
  11. pyroshade13 Committed Player

all of the similar powers are useless. why do you want it useless?
  12. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

So lets get this straight, just for my purpose, as I hope that this train of thought may have crossed your mind when typing this.

You say as a counter that Amazonian Deflection is an option but since it uses a POWER point its balanced and ok the way it is. However you don't state that Phase Dodge could be simply made an ICONIC power so that it would cost a power point, but instead your master plan to fix phase dodge is to make it a supercharge. I think Giggles you have confused Phase Dodge with Dash Attack. Its ok, it was really early in the morning when you posted this so Ill let that one go. I think what you are trying to say is lets make Phase Dodge an ICONIC power and thus everything is fixed, no on can complain because they have access to it. As if you are trying to say that the power itself is unbalanced then you will find yourself an argument without much merit. Your reasoning is that its unbalanced because acro and flight users can't use phase dodge.
  13. Ogat New Player

If You Honestly think there's abundance of power in pvp then You do not know what you're talking about.
    If you honestly think The a 2 troll setup can support 3-4 dps using pd then you don't knwo what you're talking about.
    So your idea instead of providing the other movements with such option whichis esentially the same resource wise is to make it useless? Someone seems ******** to me.
    And you're wrong about AD and PD- they provide the exact same mitigation capabilities, only AD has the aditional benefit of a reflect component and CC effect making it a better defensive power.
    Lets see How about Renew and Rejuvination for example. Doh they also heal, i think they should be made into 50% supercharges :rolleyes:

You really start to sound like a broken record I've stated numerous times and provided various reasons as to why the power itself is balanced pointing out faults in your logic, instead of adresing them You just keep repeating the same thing over and over.
    It's perfectly clear You're not interested in a discussion, and pretty set on destroying this power and completely not interested in providing an option for nonspeedsters.

So i'll not return to this thread again, take care.
    • Like x 2
  14. ScifiToilet New Player

honestly obsidianchill's reco that PD as an iconic (flash iconic power) would makes sense and would make it balanced. all movements have access to it, costs 1 POWER point which are always valuable. why mess around with trying calculate how much of a super it should be and where it should be on the tree. F it, make it an iconic, problem solved.

SS is sitll the movement of choice in content tho (dps or not) because of the positioning ability, but yeah PD for all. spam away.
    general movement still belongs to flight
    overall, factoring everything, acro is the best
    • Like x 1
  15. Black Prime New Player

Giggles, you really need to drop it. You do understand why dust off and perfect poise are sc right. Cause they get you out of combat just like dash attack. All 3 are sc because they all do the same thing. The more you talk about this the more it seems you dont understand what your talking about. You power point to skill point issue carrier no merit either. Just because you can not get both damage iconics, well who cares. Some rage loadouts cant get either and they are fine. When i was mental i only got one not both. Your reasoning is losing merit the more you talk about this. Make a new thread on why you hate being flight or acro, not sure what you are, and call it a night. Heck if nothing else i think everyone super speed needs to start a new thread about a REAL usless power. The supercharge that give a little power and health back. I think no one in this game has ever used this or even talk about it. How about we make that a damage supercharge like vacume bubble. I am just trying to point out better ways to try and fix this game besides nerfs. Or you can just buy or use some loyalty points and go super speed and call it a day.
    • Like x 1
  16. ManaBaddMan New Player

Not true, i dont abuse. speak for yourself, and what you KNOW
    all i see here is what is wrong with the other travel powers, not the problem with SS. you still haven't answered, yet, why not buff other movement powers to SS levels. Stop trying to nerf SS, again.

it has been the Devs' long time stance that clipping is an intended, programed mechanic in this game. Spord, himself, was advocating and practicing jump canceling PR on the Rage powers first look live cast. it is phase dodge, a superspeed move. let it be quick. no one complains that acros backflip has dodge built in with extra dmg on helpless and uwc. flights swoop attack is broken atm and cannot be broken out of easily along with the innate attack that no other travel power has
  17. Apolloin Well-Known Player

I have been reading this thread for the past two days and it really has gotten to the point where you are just looking for an argument. There have been numerous people that have given facts that actually prove that there are skills/powers that serve as better shields for tanks. One person has even said that PD doesn't mitigate all damage taken. Then you go on and claim well damage dealers can clip it with any animation, and thus you have deemed it an exploit. Well, my main is ice and when I dps I clip my animations with frost snipe and ice bash and when I tank I clip my animations by rotating shields yes even HL shield. There have people claiming that you can get by without using PD dodge and it seems that most people do. Secondly, you go on and say that there isn't anything that anyone can say to change your opinion on PD being OP. Well, to me that seems very close minded. And if you were going to be so near sighted in your argument, then why even create a thread over this topic? You knew people were going to reply. You should have sent a private message or a bug report to SOE. Lastly, the only thing that is truly competitive in nature in this game is pvp, however in pve people are working as a group to finish and complete the instance. The last time I checked the person with the highest damage does not get any added bonus from finishing first. There are too many scoreboard chasers in this game that only care about their numbers at the end of an instance. When the attitude should be work as a cohesive team to complete a task. And it seems to me that you only care about chasing numbers.
    • Like x 2
  18. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Hes just another dude complaining for nerfs cause of the score board. People like him slowly kill this game.
    • Like x 4
  19. Apolloin Well-Known Player

Agreed 1000 percent
    • Like x 1
  20. Badname2 New Player

Definitely, you can see it when they host FNLs between the two PC and PSN. What I noticed was a lot of the tactics you do on the PSN are already 6 months old from the PC server.

Again, not a dig at the PSN crowd, faster pcs and all, faster clipping and all that jazz.