[Suggestion] Vanguard revamp ideas

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lamat, Sep 9, 2014.

1. a-koo-chee-moya

The top speed lasts only as long as your using Magburner, and drops down pretty much instantly. Also, speed doesn't matter, as acceleration takes time, and acceleration doesn't matter unless their is a huge difference, as you will still be exposing yourself for sufficent time. Lastly, all tanks have big hitboxes.
  2. lothbrook

Turning speed is definitely part of agility, not to mention the prowler does accelerate faster than a VG even with manual gear shifting, also has higher reverse speed.
  3. Alarox

1.) You strafe faster than infantry can sprint.

2.) It does make a difference.

3.) The strafing has an influence at around 150m against tank vs tank weapons and can be up used up close versus rockets. The mobility in general is useful most of the time. Being able to accelerate more quickly, shoot on the move, traverse terrain, and so on.
  4. a-koo-chee-moya

Unless the prowler has much higher reverse speed, it only helps in a few situations, as you'll either be close enough or too far away from cover, while more armor helps in 100% of situations.
  5. a-koo-chee-moya

Strafe speed is 20kph

2. Only helps against rockets, which any tank can simply stay away from. Tank Rounds have enough BV so you can't really dodge them unless they aim literally at the side of you that your not strafing towards, which never happens because strafing takes time to accelerate.
  6. lothbrook

Reverse is the most noticeable against infantry, where the VG reverses at the same speed as sprinting infantry, a prowler outruns infantry in reverse.
  7. a-koo-chee-moya

Tanks can one shot infantry anyways...
  8. lothbrook

Theres no end to you moving the goal posts is there? Increased reverse speed increases survival against last second infantry C4 ambushers, not to mention how much the ability to strafe does, which is why the VG is the most C4'd tank, and the magrider is the least.
    • Up x 2
  9. a-koo-chee-moya

Aware tanks will see them anyways, and Tanks already have a 300m advantage over C4 fairies.
  10. Alarox

Question: Is that character in your signature your only VS character? If so, you only have 9 hours with the Magrider and I'm wondering why you're trying to tell us about what does/doesn't work for the Magrider. If it is then this is just a chore to me.

Strafe: 22KPH (6.1m/s)
    Strale w/ Rival: 26KPH (7.2m/s)
    Width: ~8m

Time it takes to strafe 4m:
    Non-Rival: 0.66s
    Rival: 0.55s

Maximum distance you can aim dead center and still hit in the format non-rival/rival:
    Halberd: 148/121m
    Titan-150 AP: 182/151m
    Titan-150 HEAT: 165/138m
    Enforcer: 154/125m
    Anchored P2-120 AP: 215/179m
    Anchored P2-120 HEAT: 193/161m
    P2-120 AP: 165/138m
    P2-120 HEAT: 149/124m

Strafing isn't about actively dodging shots. It is about consistently changing your strafe direction at random intervals which either cause my already fired shot to miss, or cause me to hesitate before firing and therefore lower my damage output.
    • Up x 3
  11. a-koo-chee-moya

Dodge shots already fired? That would make Magrider kinda OP, wouldn't it....

Also, Experience doesn't always mean better opinion. Most of the time it does, but not always. So, if your just going to discount a players opinion becuase they don't have X hours in something, then what are you doing on these forums? Go create your little clique of "experienced" players and only listen to their opinions.
  12. lothbrook

Yet C4 kills more tanks than any other weapon in the game, its like you're completely unaware about anything that has to do with tanks, and facts will do nothing to deter your wrong opinions.
    • Up x 7
  13. Alarox

You're going this way: -------->
    I fire my shot assuming that you're going this way: ----->
    As I fire you happen to change directions this way: <-----

I can either take that risk and fire right away every time, or I can wait until you change directions and guarantee the shot is properly led at the cost of waiting a second or two.

Also, are you going to answer my question? I don't want to come off as elitist or anything, but I'm not very interested in arguing all day with someone whose opinions come from speculation and inferences rather than actual experience.
    • Up x 2
  14. ColonelChingles

"What? You have game performance statistics collected from thousands of players during hundreds of thousands of gameplay hours that support your points? But those statistics can't be right because I don't think tanks work like that!"

"Oh tanks do work like that? Well I don't think they work like this, which is really what I meant to say in the first place as to why the solid statistics must be incorrect because they don't mesh with my personal understanding of PS2!"
    • Up x 2
  15. a-koo-chee-moya

It takes 2/3 of a second to go 4 M, not counting the fact that you have to counter your momentum going the opposite way
    That means that you'd have to be around 300M away for this to actually help. Anyways, a link to where your pulling all these stats, It would be interesting
  16. Yeahy

I thought this was a thread about vanguard shields? At least that was the main point.

Its not like you can vouch for all vanguards vs all magriders in all situations either.

I'd rather take good speculation from a inexperienced person than bad thoughts from a experienced person anyday.
  17. Alarox

This will be my last reply as I'm rapidly losing interest in discussing this with you. I hate arguing people who don't even have 10 hours of playtime in the thing they're claiming expertise in. There are people who use the Magrider for 10 hours in a day. Not only can I not trust your opinions, but I can't even discuss things with you and determine why we disagree as I could with someone who is actually in these relevant situations all the time.

Changing directions is irrelevant in these calculations. Strafing inhibits your opponent in 1 of 3 potential ways:

1.) It means I have to lead against you starting at these ranges or it is impossible for my shot to connect.

2.) It means I risk having my shot miss when I lead because you change directions.

3.) It means I may need to wait until you change directions to fire to guarantee that my shot doesn't miss.

The calculations come from my own testing and math. The Magrider strafes at those speeds and is a little bit less than 8m wide. Doing math with those strafe speeds and velocities of the weapons, the ranges where leading must occur can be determined.
    • Up x 1
  18. iller

If you look at what Higby's been hinting at ..... It seems like they're implying "the problem with the Vanguard" being an incentives one. That it's basically considered by most NC to be a solo one-hit-wonder. This clashes directly with the previous MBT philosophy of Ps1. And seems to be an unmentioned source of much hate from the Vanu players who tend to ALWAYS pair off in 2's to operate theirs at peak efficiency. Atleast this is what we might infer from him stating that the Secondary weapons need "another pass" anyway.

So its worst performing statistic, are generally pecked at by forumside as due to that soloing mentality and NC in general having the worst players in their Pubber bracket who then pile into an MBT convoy and then lose their Vanguard as soon as the sheild goes on cooldown because they don't know what Reverse does. :rolleyes:

(most of the times I pull mine, I have it for 10-20 minutes b/c I'm a total chicken sh** sniper with racer3 & nothing else upgraded)
  19. Alarox

I can't vouch for all Vanguards vs all Magriders in all situations, which is why I'm here to discuss it with other people who understand these situations, and hopefully we can all reach a better level of understanding or at least determine why we disagree. That isn't going to happen when I argue with someone for 2-3 pages who doesn't even have 10 hours in a MBT and isn't interested in learning from others.
    • Up x 3
  20. a-koo-chee-moya

So, your just not going to listen to me just becuase I don't have X amount of hours in MBTs. Then why should I listen to you in air threads then? Do you have the credentials? This is a forum, which means anyone who wants to discuss anything within the rules can, and their opinion must be taken seriously, no matter how silly or stupid.