How Beneficial is No Bullet Drop?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by thepackett, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Mxiter

Slugsguns
    SASR
    Supressors
    Comets
    Vortexes
    Lancer
    Saron HRB
    Proton PPA
    Every scythe weapons (aka 1000m libby invisible sniping thanks to high velocity and scythe shape) I don't consider AA pods like weapons.

It don't makes differences in most of infantry fights range true, but have some interesting niches.

Oh and i definitely feel the drop and see bullet tracers with slow velocity infantry weapons past 100m, especially when aiming people at higher altitude. BTW, decent players can compensate it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Posse

All of these NEED no bullet drop in order to fulfill their purpose.
  3. Mxiter

Certainly for lancer and Vortexes. (even if it had drop, it would be meaningless since those weapons have a very fast velocity.)

The others weapons don't NEED it (especially "close range" comets) and would still be viable with drop, just less "point and clic".
  4. treeHamster

These are lasers. If they had drop, I would be worried SOE doesn't understand what light is and how it works.

Comets are actually really crappy Pounders without drop. The ONLY reason they are "better" than Pounders is because they don't have drop (which is a faction trait). Outside of 50m, however, they are fairly useless because their velocity is too low. So they're a close range AV that can only be used in long range if the target is stationary (which makes them better for AMS sniping over Vortex's thanks to the extra AV damage they can output but ONLY with ZOE).

SASR's are generally crappy weapons that take a number of shots to kill with. If you're getting killed by SASR's, it's your own fault because you're standing still too long.

The Light PPA is the only one that benefits from "no drop" because it makes it a little easier to aim when you're in the ESF. The rest of the PPA family end up suffering from no drop because they require backdrops for hitting infantry since the PPA orb is actually very small, and most of the damage is from splash. So no drop means you have to hit the ground, and the PPA family sits at ground level which means you won't get a backdrop to splash the enemy with.
  5. Posse

With the bullet velocity they have? They definitely need it.
  6. Xasapis

The damage drop off change was actually a nerf to VS weapons in the ranges where the majority of combat happens (less than 75m). The change was lukewarmly taken, because of the equalizing factor (for VS) and the fact that bullet drop makes no practical difference in 99% of the engagements (the rest of the empires).
  7. teks

You gotta enlighten us how this is a nerf in close quarters.

Arguments can be made about how they are balanced, and they are all normally valid, but its still a good point.
  8. Xasapis

Slower damage drop off up to a point, higher beyond that. The following is not my chart, but it is a good visualisation of the situation prior to the damage normalisation.

[IMG]

It is ancient history now, obviously.
  9. Mxiter

Nanites and game balance > IRL physics.
    See phoenix and Lancers AI damages. (and some others stuffs).

Comets are crappy pounders?? Waow! how can you be so biased.

I agree that SASR are actually meh. I know some people prefering using it because of nanowave.

So drop could be helpful for ground vehicles PPA?
    Also see below.

How does TR/NC with pounder/falcons? both have drop, falcons have a much lower starting velocity while pounders have an insane drop Value.

Also even slow projectiles can have less drop than high velocity ones, it's just a value in the game files.
    Drop values can be adjusted depending the weapon and are not only dependant of velocity: see marauder/fury: both have the same velocity, marauder have less drop because having a lower drop value.
    It's just a virtual projectile "weight" or "mass", call it as you want.

Also:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet... AV&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250
    Look at the last column.

Don't flames guys, I didn't told that those weapons were OP or imbalanced, but you can't deny that no drop makes those quite easy to handle.

(Even if I think that the comets are actually imba compared to pounders/falcons and PPA is imba with the marauder/Enforcer mod: maraudeur is OP while enforcer mod is UP=> maybe it's the others weapons that are imba: half full/half empty glass)
    • Up x 1
  10. treeHamster

The damage curves were something that should have been changed when they changed bullet drop back in beta. However, they left the curves in when they went live and it was a necessary change.

If guns had serious bullet drop (like back in beta) then the old damage curves would have been necessary to balance the VS weapons.

Yes Comets are crappy Pounders. I'm a VS with ZOE 5 and would rather have Pounders. They are MUCH better at close range combat after just a little practice.

The PPA is not that great. You need a serious altitude advantage or angular advantage so you have a better splash area to hit. The orbs themselves are actually a lot smaller than the animation suggestions. Combine that with a really slow velocity and they become a lot harder to hit infantry with outside of 30m. The Marauder is MUCH better because it is much more spammy, has drop, and zero spread (another thing the PPA has which forces you to fire in bursts, further lowing its average damage output).
  11. teks

Psh, comets are pretty awesome.

The PPA is definitely so-so, but the guy did point out good examples of things that make good use of drop. I don't think he was claiming they were OP or anything.
    • Up x 1
  12. Flavo

As others before me have said, the ability to equip a suppressor and soft point ammo on CQC weapons without incurring a big drop makes them much more viable at mid range. That's about the only thing I envy about it.
  13. treeHamster

I am using the NS SMG with a silencer and soft point and I don't ever notice bullet drop. So I don't really know what range you guys are using the silencer+SF ammo because it doesn't matter under 40m. If you're shooting further than that, you're using the wrong tool for the situation anyway. The odds may favor the VS just a little but not enough for it to actually matter.
  14. KnightCole

Easily controlled weapons.

Low Recoil, high velocity, good accuracy.....good enough RoF most times.....
  15. Wildclaw

No bullet drop is bad because if I aim at a spot on the ground and miss by 1 degree I will miss by 30m. If I do the same thing with Pounders, I will only miss by 5m. That sums up the whole OP post. Except that instead of horizontal targets, he fired at vertical ones, so target profile angle adjusted things back so it became "even".

A perfect example of using math to come to insane conclusions.
  16. TomaHawk

You want numbers? Here you go. Your 8,000 kills. My 22,000 kills. Your K/D. How about you work on those numbers? Come to Connery with your stats, show us TR there how they work. :rolleyes:

Stats won't keep this game alive. Players who open their wallets will.
  17. teks

By those numbers TR weapons are clearly OP.

But we know thats not true.

Prove your point or go home. Last thing the forums need is more biased opinionals about how "every faction I don't play is OP"
  18. whitupiggu

VS keep saying bullet drop doesn't matter but I can guarantee forumside would be hit by a tsunami of VS tears if all weapons were given bullet drop.
  19. treeHamster

I actually do better with the NS weapons than the VS weapons.

To be honest, if they reverted the damage curves for the VS and gave the non-VS weapons serious drop (like back in beta), then I'd be fine with it as bullet drop would actually become a real advantage.
  20. whitupiggu

VS have faster reloads, better moving accuracy, and easier to control recoil. They don't need another advantage.