How Beneficial is No Bullet Drop?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by thepackett, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Ruvan

Nice informative graphs OP.

On a side note though, I see the whole "no bullet drop" thing as being mostly just faction flavour that is balanced by Vanu's slightly lower projectile velocities compared to TR and NC (compared to weapons of the same range). Vanu has to lead a bit more but doesn't have to compensate for drop, TR/NC have to compensate for a tiny bit of drop but have an easier job leading.

It's only really a very significant advantage on very low velocity weapons like the SMGs and Shotguns. Those weapons drop a lot, so having no bullet drop is really quite useful.

It also gives us a few interesting different options (i.e. weapon styles), for example the Spectre (default VS Sniper). It's a (semi-automatic) Sniper Rifle with no drop. Awesome for head shotting stationary targets (e.g. turret users) at extremely long ranges.
  2. teks

The multiplier slows down the weapons recovery time between shots, thus lowering its DPS compared to another factions equivalent weapon in semi-auto to the point where the advantage of no-drop is effectively mitigated.

An example of first shot recoil effecting semi-auto weapons can be evidenced with battle rifles. As part of their buff they received a reduction in their first shot multiplier effectively increasing their effective DPS down range by reducing the recovery time between shots.

Again it surely doesn't make these things impossible or anything. it just mitigates the no-drop advantage, which is really low.
    • Up x 1
  3. MykeMichail

Whilst the conclusions would be valid if infantry had just one big hitbox, when we consider that infantry actually have 3 hitboxes (head, body, legs), bullet drop becomes more significant.

With no bulletdrop, your bullet goes where you're aiming it. With bullet drop, a shot aimed at the head will hit the head up to a certain range, the body a slightly longer range, and the legs at even longer again. Lets also not forget that most scopes greater than 2x are not zeroed at 0 m, but at longer ranges, so a shot aimed at the head at certain ranges can, in fact, go straight over the targets head.

To say that bullet drop is insignificant is to say that the difference between a headshot and a leg shot is insignificant.
    • Up x 4
  4. Crackulous

Not as beneficial as people make it out to be. You hardly notice it at all on the majority of guns.
  5. teks

VS velocity is on the high end, pretty much equal to the NC.
    TR has a velocity penalty it seems.
    just thought I'd clarify that.
  6. HooWoo

What so you don't snipe flashes and harassers at 1000m with beamers like us pro #XxM3GL33TxX420 players do?
    • Up x 1
  7. deggy

I once killed a Harasser with my silenced Beamer.

#getatmylevel
    • Up x 2
  8. HooWoo

Your swag number is 42

bow down to the #xX$w3G/\/\3T3rxX!~
  9. deggy

I am the xX5\/\/46R1D3RXx!
    [IMG]

#nomakeup #nofilter #truebeauty
    • Up x 1
  10. DashRendar

The TRAC-5 has a faster bullet velocity than the AC-X11, the Solstice has a faster bullet velocity than the Mercenary, the TAR has a faster bullet velocity than the Reaper DMR, the Orion has a faster bullet velocity than both the SAW and EM6, the T9 CARV has a faster bullet velocity than the EM6 and equal to the SAW. You might want to revise that thought.

Other faction close-mid versatile primaries have better bullet velocity than NC mid-long NICHED primaries. NC bullet velocity is atrocious. Except for the Gauss Rifle. For some reason the balance devs decided to give that weapon good velocity.
  11. teks

Generally NC and VS have an advantage over the TR. VS have a slight lead, but its minor and goes back and forth. Generally the TR have a velocity disadvantage.
    NC velocity is not atrocious.

Carbines
    • NC- 508 average
      • Merc- 500
      • ac-x11- 480
      • gd-7f-500
      • guass compact c- 500
      • GD-23 560
    • TR- 488 average
      • Lynx- 450
      • jag- 440
      • amc- 570
      • Trac 5- 490
      • Trac 5 S- 490
    • VS- 486 average
      • Pulsar C- 515
      • Serp- 420
      • Solstace- 515
      • Solstace SF- 515
      • VX6-7- 465
    • The winner- NC, though the average for VS is skewed by the serpent, and can't be considered seriously. I'd say VS and NC both take some wins here.
    Assault rifles
    • NC- 601 average
      • Carnage- 600
      • GR-22- 600
      • guass- 650
      • guass s- 600
      • reaper- 555
    • TR- 578 average
      • cycler TRV- 550
      • SABR- 600
      • T1 cycler- 580
      • t1s cycles- 580
      • TAR- 580
    • VS- 610 average
      • CME- 630
      • corvus- 600
      • Equinox- 615
      • H-V45- 590
      • Pulsar- 615
    • Conclusion- VS win. Pretty straightforward. NC is not far behind.
    So neither the VS or the NC have the worst velocity, and another myth about both faction weapons is busted.
    • Up x 2
  12. DashRendar

Your averaging of all weapons in a class is preposterous, and besides the numbers you posted only serve to prove what I originally said. Weapons are balanced based on their roles, and NC have weapons that should be more effective in ranged combat than other factions weaponry at the sacrifice of close ranged power. When you consider velocity of these weapons, almost across the board they have a slower bullet velocity than the close ranged/starting weapons of other factions, so how can they be superior in anything? That's what I was saying. Also, You forgot to post the LMG results, or is that just because it would make VS LMGs look even better?
  13. teks

How about you post the LMGs?

My numbers are there, and I said the averages can only be taken so-so, but one thing is clear from MY results. the NC velocity is SOLID.

The NC average is low? not compared to the TR, thats for sure.
    600 NC typical assault weapon vs 580 for TR
    500 NC carbine vs 490 for TR (of which the TR's default is even lower)

No.

You produce some results if you do not find my analysis correct.
    • Up x 1
  14. DashRendar

No no no no, you are retracting your argument. At first you said VS has good velocity, up there with NCs, as if to say that NC has the best velocity. Now you are saying ok, maybe NC doesn't have the best velocity, but at least they're not the worst. Which is it? And by the way, here are your LMGs, analyzed in your fashion.

VS:
    Orion - 615
    SVA-88 - 630
    Pulsar LSW - 620
    Ursa - 640
    Flare - 600
    Polaris - 625
    AVERAGE: 622

NC:
    GD-22S - 580
    Anchor - 600
    EM1 - 600
    Saw S - 615
    EM6 - 570
    SAW - 600
    AVERAGE: 594

TR:
    MSW-R - 580
    Bull - 600
    T16 - 640
    TMG-50 - 615
    CARV S - 600
    CARV - 600
    AVERAGE: 606

VS is the obvious winner, TR comes in second, and NC is dead last. NC only came in second in the AR category because of the amazing velocity on the Gauss Rifle, which I mentioned was an outlier for the faction a good 3 posts back. The Razor sways the Carbine category, but it's still not as fast as the AMC. It is now evident why you didn't post the LMG results.

Pop quiz hotshot: there are exactly three guns in the game that are "NC styled" and they all have below average bullet velocity, which means weapons that are NC styled have characteristic low velocity.
    • Up x 1
  15. treeHamster

Back in beta, bullet drop was quite severe and the "no-drop" was actually a very good quality. However that was changed before the game went live and after that it was a useless trait in 98% of the playtime. Another way they went to compensate for the "no drop" was to have a much more severe damage dropoff curve which gave the VS an advantage over the TR and NC from like 65m-80m but outside of that the VS weapons had a straight up disadvantage.

It took several months of whining for the Devs to normalize the damage curves of the VS weapons to that of the NC and TR.

The only weapons "no drop" really helps is in:

Semi-auto scout rifles
    Battlerifles
    Slug shotties (which were a LOT better before they added sway to 3.4x and 6x scopes)
    Comets
    PPA (which no drop is actually a disadvantage)
    Saron (which is pointless since they turned it into a carbine)

In reality the only weapons you will likely use are the Comets. So having that as a faction trait really only helps one weapon which means it's basically a non-factor of an issue.
  16. Sen7rygun

Lol Dashrendar squealing over an 8m/s average velocity difference in TR and NC LMGs like it's a big deal. Looking so hard for an excuse to claim hardship. The devs could knock 15m/s off every weapon in your arsenal, leave the labels in game unchanged and you'd never know the difference. They could have already done it for all you know.

You must be the most dramatic martyr on this forum now that Duke and Stew360 seem to have quietened down.
    • Up x 1
  17. teks

Actually I said VS is a little better then NC. I'm not trying to hide anything. Someone from VS said that Vs has the lowest velocity, someone from nC said they do, and they are both wrong. The TR has the worst.

I took out burst guns from the averages for good reason. They are useless, and serve no purpose.

The NC clearly beats the TR in the AR department, its not thanks to one gun. Its a clear win. Every NC assault rifle has better velocity then TR. The same is true for carbines. The LMG loss is very very small, and if you average it all out you still get TR with the worst.

Just remember you claimed that NC velocity was Abyssal. I thought that showing the start for two major categories of weapons would be sufficient to show that NC velocity is actually pretty solid. I'm not trying to tell you your stuff is OP, but velocity is not a weakness your weapons have. If you feel that a 12m/s velocity disadvantage in one category is sufficient to say that NC weapons have abyssal velocity, more power to ya. I'm not trying to mislead you. I provided unbiased information to better your opinion
    • Up x 2
  18. Spude

I thought the biggest advantage was ZOE max.
  19. Dethfield

As an NC player, i have very little trouble landing shots at longer ranges. Mind you I dont snipe, but laying down covering fire for example, i can generally land quite a few shots on target with my gauss saw.

The VS's lack of bullet drop is completely irrelevant at any range you encounter inside a building, Which (surprise, surprise) is where the majority of important infantry fights take place!
    • Up x 1
  20. thepackett

To everyone posting:
    I don't mind discussion, but try to keep it on topic. This is not an argument over which faction is OP or not, this is a discussion about anything related to bullet drop in the game. I know not everyone is off topic, but please take this into consideration. Thank you!