HC-1 Cougar - Completely Garbage From the Dev Team

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hibiki54, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minhalexus

Well the DPS is about the same. The difference is so small that it would not affect real gameplay.
    Trac 5:- 1787
    Cougar:- 1759
    AF-merc:- 1670 (just to compare)

Its 28 DPS. That does not affect TTK timings enough to make a difference.

In-fact the cougar will have faster TTK if you remove the first shot. (since you already fired it)

TTK (removing first shot) :-

Cougar:- 0.47 seconds
    Trac 5:- 0.48 seconds

Besides having a burst damage gun has its advantages. The only reason i chose NC was cuz of the burst damage.
    NC carbines generally have a worse TTK than TR carbines.

I dont know what you're trying to say that it does not come close to its range capabilities.
    I generally only use carbines within 50m, and the cougar does more damage in those ranges.
    RoF does not play any role in those ranges since you have to burst fire anywayz.
    • Up x 1
  2. CMDante

Cougar isn't OP it's a very confused animal; the high damage and so-so RoF would lend itself to mid-long range (Which is what the TR need in a carbine) But they terrible damage drop off and absence of the mid range mods force it into use as a CQC weapon, where it performs well, but not shockingly so. It's worse than the comparative NC and VS 167 carbines.
    • Up x 4
  3. reydelchicken

Disregard stats and effectiveness, it looks nice.

Who cares about killing things when you have an ugly weapon?
  4. Dr Baralax

This game has carbines in?? I guess they've been buried under all these smgs, and genero-guns and odd faction weapons not quite good enough for any niche after their "balance passes" that sony shoved our way. There's a long ramble about my feelings on the state of the game that came here, but I'll not afflict it on you here.
  5. NoctD

If you need the advanced grip to control this gun, then you really need to improve quite a bit! There's hardly any side to side recoil!

You put the AFG on the Pulsar C, not the Zenith.
  6. Paperlamp

Pulsar definitely has lower horizontal than the Zenith. Can almost guarantee it's .2 or higher vs. the Pulsar C's .175. There are currently no non-burst 143 damage weapons with under .2, doubt a Jaguar style weapon would break that mold. If it had as low of horizontal recoil as Pulsar C it would be overpowered. It might be overpowered in its current PTS state anyway.

I may end up rolling VS just to use this thing regardless. Screw the new Lynx and Cougar, I'll take a lower recoil advanced forward grip Jaguar with 10 less ammo and a bit lower RoF but lightning fast reloads and higher velocity. I don't need soft point that badly.
    • Up x 1
  7. NoctD

I'm not crazy about the Cougar either, but I'll keep the the Lynx and T5 AMC myself. The new Lynx is just more of a bullet hose now though, you can't really conserve much ammo with its ROF, at least SMGs like the Blitz/Sirius/Hailstorm pack more ammo.
  8. Akeita

All I can see after reading 5 pages...

- NC want this to turn into a mid range weapon rather than OP as fk CQC weapon and there is still TR complaining about this thing called "Traits of a faction" ( I wish GD - 7F is 732/167 rather than 845/145, same DPS, no TR trait, better DPM )

- TR complain is isn't good enough and want a mid range weapon ( despite some TR actually smart and want to keep this OP stuff ), some complaining about the Lynx while they're asking for more RoF. You deserved to be throw into the pit of hell, asking way too much

- VS should not even be here, they're pretty close to have every single weapon having charge up mechanics, otherwise, they dont have much to complain

Actually, because high damage to along with high RoF sounds kinda OP, Cougar is like a better version of Cyclone..
    • Up x 4
  9. iller

who cares... I can't remember the last time I saw a TR Engineer in infantry combat. It's not like there's any point for them to either. Mosquito = best ESF so that's where they all seem to be. Their MAXs = lulztacular special "combat" Ability, and the only loadout any of us worry about from them are dual Pounders so it's just as rare to see any "Engineers" repairing the guys who do put a Max suit on. (I'm gussing they're all doing it just for the Scary Robot Cosplay aspect??)

Oh and AV or Phalanx Base turrets.... those are the only other times I see TR engineers not in a Lib or Moskie
    They probably make up aleast half of my total railjack kills infact so I'm always glad to see them on those things.
  10. lolB0b

No, the Cougar does less damage than the Trac-5 at all ranges.
    I might actually create some charts later today to proof it.

It can barely keep up at close range, but it only gets worse if you stand further away.

And that is comparing it to the Trac-5, and now we also have the Lynx ;)
  11. minhalexus

Actually, high RoF weapons do more damage at all ranges.
    The thing is that you can not land all those shots released in that period of time.

At range you gotta burst fire, and the Cougar has better burst fire capabilities.

If you want to compare it that way, this is the DPS of:-

AF merc at 75m:- 1250 DPS
    Trac 5 at 65m:- 1400 DPS

I do not have the damage for Merc at 65m, but as you can see that the trac 5 does out DPS the merc if you compare it 75m+.
    But DPS is not what matters at range. The cougar looks into that.
  12. lolB0b

You don't need to try to proof your point by explaining basic gameplay mechanics, it's wasted text.

The Trac-5 is better than the Merc at close range because up to 20-30 meters you don't miss a single shot.
    The Merc is better at range than the Trac-5 solely because of the recoil, because it can deliver.

That is a trait the Cougar does not have, as I've noticed on the PTS.
    It has much worse recoil than the Merc and combining that with the 112 drop off damage it just falls short of both the Merc and the Trac-5.
    • Up x 3
  13. minhalexus

Its ridiculous that you're comparing 2 different guns to one gun.
    Its like, I want a gun with the RoF of Lynx, damage of ACX-11, damage drop of the GoD SAW, recoil of the NS-rifle and the hipfire of the Blitz.

Compare it to one of the two.

Compared to the Merc, it does perform better up close. (equally good at mid-range)
    Compared to the Trac-5, it does perform better at range, due to the burst damage. (equally good at mid range)

The cougar does not need buffs, although it can use some more attachments like the compensator and x2 reflex sight.
  14. lolB0b

It has 5% more dps up close, the advanced laser and the soft point, so it's a little better than the Merc up close, but that's an NC weapon anyway.

It is not better than the Trac-5 at range! It just isn't.
    The numbers don't support and I've played with it for a while on test.
    If you think it handles long range better than the Trac-5 it's just placebo, because people know the 167 dmg NC carbines.
  15. minhalexus

Well you do know its supposed to be a side-grade.
    5% DPS is a decent amount of difference between guns. (not a lot but it feels funny coming from a TR player)

Compare the current Lynx to the GD-7F:-
    A 5.3% difference in DPS. (unless you consider a .3% to be a huge difference)

And we a both know how many TR players considered it to be a BIG difference.
    Personally i think 5% does not matter all that much, but it feels like hypocrisy when the TR players call 5% a huge difference on threads where it suits them, and ignoring it on situation like this.

Besides, if you do not like the cougar, then you can always use the Trac-5 since its available to TR.
    Even the Merc is not the best of everything. Its worse than the Cougar in CQC, and its worse than the Razor and ACX-11 at long range.

The cougar is a gun like no other, and its definitely not garbage.
    Sure it might not suit your playstyle, but the you are supposed to adapt to the gun, the gun is not supposed to adapt to you.

In the end, it does add variety to the TR arsenal.
    Only thing it needs is a compensator, and a x2 reflex sight. (no direct buffs needed)
  16. Posse

What is the OP smoking, the Cougar will probably be the best TR carbine (as will the VS and NC new counterparts)

The Cougar has the highest DPS of all 167 damage weapons with the exception of the Cyclone (which is a SMG)

The Zenith is like an Orion with a slightly lower DPS but much better hipfire, you'll see me using this pretty often if it comes out like it is right now :D

The new NC carbine (don't remember the name) is like an upgraded Mercenary (which already was a beast of a Carbine)
  17. Paperlamp

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. Pie Chasm

The cougar is meant to replace the lost ADS movement speed from the Lynx...

The old Lynx was simply too "OP" with its ADS movement speed apparently.

PDW-16, you're next.... oh wait.. it sucks and nobody bought it in comparison, it's quite safe.

Armistice, you're next!
  19. Ivalician

Reading this thread and the comments about the new carbines:

ALWAYS NO TO POWERCREEP.

Seriously. If you add anything into the game that is a straight upgrade to **** that is already considered top tier, DON'T DO IT. The last thing we need is more COD **** like shotguns.
  20. Bankrotas

I'd guess Orion is next.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.