Fix the Railjack now!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Vanon, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Baccano

I don't mean to call you out because I think you're a good player and your stats show as much but you don't have as much time sniping as others of us do (Not saying you can't have an opinion just not as much experience as others) you have 234 kills with your longshot and 49 with your bolt driver and absolutely no kills with Railjack. In fact as far as I can tell you don't even own the weapon since it's not in your weapons list although that could be a bug.

So I'm going to take your opinion with a huge grain of salt. No one's saying you can't get kills with this rifle just saying that it's not better than even the bolt driver for advanced snipers so why bother.

What Niche does the weapon serve? As a sniper the sooner my bullet can connect to my target's head the better. As an advanced sniper the sooner my bullet leaves the barrel so I can cloak and relocate the better. So far even the Bolt Driver beats it until you get close to the 300m mark as addressed by Vahpell and even the numbers thread you quoted earlier bears this out as well.

At this point it's not a question of why to use this over the Longshot it's more like why use this over even the default Sniper Rifle if the target needs to be at render range to see even the slightest edge out in time on target?

I'm not asking for a Tier 4 rifle to start the Sniper Apocalypse with, I'm asking what purpose does it serve other than another Rax notch in my infil belt? Perhaps a redesign is in order is all most of us are saying (I say perhaps because I'm still trying to find a way to make this weapon a choice over the other three but it's hard to see at this point plus I'm only 302 kills in at the moment so plenty of time to play till it's raxed).

- SideWinder
    • Up x 1
  2. GunsmithJoe

Anyone actually looked closely at the RailJack model? It's apparently a multi-stage accelerator (has at least two, maybe 3 sets of 'rails')
  3. ISKNausicaa

They have an internal server to test early stuff, the PTS is primarily for balance and stability, that's why its called the 'Patch Test Server', its a buffer between the internal and live, to check for unforeseen issues, its there to make sure that when they introduce a new patch they don't introduce massive critical errors and bugs.

Stating that they don't keep the PTS up to date with Live's assets makes no sense as it undermines the reason for the PTS; as they wouldn't know if Live asset X + PTS asset Y caused a massive server crash.

Its not so much of a "rough copy" as more "Live server +1"
    • Up x 1
  4. CrazyMike

Do you even snipe Bro ? You have no idea what you are talking about. This gun is garbage, compared to even the Boltdriver for hitting a moving target. The latency spikes, which everyone has, make it nearly impossible to compensate for the shot delay + leading the target, on a consistent basis. Add in the fact that this was not what was promised, the gun was completely ruined before public release and they did not take any feedback in to consideration and you can take your lecture about whining and shove it up your *** tough guy.
  5. ISKNausicaa

I'm replying to my own post, as i stand corrected, just been on the PTS and it has indeed been updated to match what is on live, retroactively.

Didn't they just add missions onto the PTS yesterday? so basically any issues found on the PTS yesterday are invalid due to old data, potentially wasting peoples time and effort who bothered to go.

I'm at a loss for words, I really am, last minute untested changes and now we find they don't keep the PTS up to date and we wonder why we get so many issues on patch day beggars belief.
  6. Vanon

NC Railjack

The NC Railjack was commissioned by the NC to create a cheap alternate to the Longshot. Initially designed to be the most effectively sniper rifle to date, the expenses for production where high. In a desperate scheme, headed by Berny Higbyoff, the corporation response able for production produced faulty trigger and charging mechanisms while selling the Railjack at a higher price while pocking the profits. This later became known as a "Higbyoff" scheme. Due to the cheaper parts, this gun then was marketed as having a "split-second delay". Though no numbers have been published, most users consider it in the range of half a second.

The Railjack now finds it's place with other Legacy Faction Specific gun's in the museum of NC, such as the Canister Shot.
    • Up x 5
  7. Vanon

When have you used it? You don't own the gun, in fact on your profile it doesn't even show you having a single kill with it. Then there is the fact that Infiltrator is you least played class other then medic. Heck you have more time on your MAX then your infiltrator.

To make yourself relavent here, you actually need to try to use the weapon. Hiding behind other people's post's and pathetic attempts to troll are not helpfull. You add nothing to the conversation. I got no problem with you disagreeing. However i seriously question the reason why someone who barely has played infiltrator, and does not even have a single kill with the gun, would post this? Since you have no expierence, is this a cry for attention? Do you want to feel heard?
  8. Tenebrae Aeterna

I'm inclined to trust someone who actually knows what they're talking about. The delay is a very poor mechanic, and it actually counters the velocity of the weapon itself by spending that time after pulling the trigger. In a sense, this is the same reason that the Vanu weren't pleased with the Shade and its charge mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  9. Vanon

Actually, i'm inclined to trust your opinion the most as you play VS, have the most time using charge mechanics, and are fair minded. I've heard that the dev's want to let the numbers soak for a bit as the gun just came out. Apparently they are watching the numbers for all 3 ESSR's closely. If no one uses them, and they are under preforming, which i know the NC/VS variations are, they will make adjustments. My only hope is that it does not get lost in the wind before the next update.
    • Up x 2
  10. skifton

Hot damn you went to a lot of trouble. I'd say you're the one spending time and effort to be heard.

That said, used it in the VR mostly, and trailed it in-game. I'm aware that's not against moving targets or live fire...but I've used it enough to have a decent first impression that it's a fine weapon. Once i build up a few more certs (I'm sure you can look up how many of those i have too lol) I'll buy it and use it. It looks like a fun, situational sidegrade. Just like every new weapon is supposed to be.
  11. skifton

I forgot forumside is where people judge based upon **** like that, lol. 250 kills is plenty of kills to get used to a weapon...and I've used the RailJack in VR mostly, trailed it a while in-game. No kills with it in live-fire but I was just ranging out and playing with it mostly.

As I've said before...it's not supposed to be BETTER all around than the other weapons. It's a gun with a new mechanic that offers a sidegrade (downgrade if you dont like it, upgrade if you like it) and offers a situational (MAX range) weapon. That's what it's meant to be.

I'm aware that it was probably OP in the PTS, and then SOE threw a "nerf" on it when it went live because of that. The decision was likely quickly-conceived, and they'll give it more thought.

But that said, I still think it's good at what it's best at (extremely long range shots against certain targets)...and while the Longshot beats it overall for your average sniper...there are people who like the "cool factor" and who enjoy it's qualities as a new way to shoot a gun. I'm one of those people, so yes, I disagree that it's a terrible weapon.
  12. Nephi1im

That said, used it in the VR mostly, and trailed it in-game.
    used it in the VR mostly, trailed it in-game.
    VR , and trailed it.

You've got to be kidding me. You do realize that, other than it being inferior in every way to the longshot, the biggest complaint with it is that it is more difficult to lead targets with than any BASR right? So, I'm sure all those stationary VR targets and "trailing it" did you a lot of good in that department.

Seriously, do people actually read things back in their head before they post them?

I'll say this for roughly the 400th time in 3 days:

IT IS NOT A SIDEGRADE. THERE IS NO SITUATION IN WHICH THIS OUTPERFORMS THE LONGSHOT. IT IS IN EVERY WAY WORSE THAN THE LONGSHOT.
    • Up x 2
  13. Nephi1im

Please enlighten me as to the situation where the railjack impacting targets in a longer amount of time than all three other BASRs is situationally preferred? Really, I want to hear how more time from click to hit is situationally better? You just barely miss the edge of that tank going across the field that the pesky longshot would have nicked with its speed?

I'd prefer if the one ESSR we get doesn't have its only benefit as "cool factor". Call me crazy, but 1000 certs is a lot for such things. Heck I'd rather pay 1000 certs to get a railjack skin on my longshot.

You're right, it is not terrible. It is however, in every way inferior to at least one, if not three other weapons that cost less. If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd....
  14. CptFirelord

Now we're talking about the Trap.
    • Up x 1
  15. iller

That doesn't tell you anything Credibility-wise about a gun.
    It's long been agreed upon by most people that the VR needs actual moving targets with a variety of Armors & behaviors like a real Training Room would provide. It's also common knowledge that very short Trial Period isn't nearly enough time to experience a diverse number of situations where a weapon ends up being a "Dud". Until you've gotten atleast 500 rounds fired off with it in a real variety of combat situations, there's really no point in telling other people whether their observations are based enough on raw experience.

Anecdotal evidence is fine. But you don't get to tell anyone else they're looking at its mechanic wrong until you've gotten near that real experience level yourself. (and maybe even recorded Video of it too like Mustarde does if your system permits it)

While this might be the biggest complaint about it... there hasn't been enough time for enough people to adjust to the timinig of this mechanic to see if it actually can be worked around through Cognitive Adaptation. If it can't, then it's probably because the "Queues" and feedback it provides to its user needs more Audio-Visual tweaks. ...Or someone will just need to suggest a new kind of Scope interface to SOE that helps the user overcome that handicap.
  16. skifton

Update for all the complainers: I used the RailJack in-game a while today, on Indar. Got 4 or 5 kills with it (ZOMG CHECK HIS STATS PAGE TO CONFIRM)...and it performed JUST LIKE I EXPECTED IT TO.

Got a few good kills from LONG range with it, 300+ meters out from canyon wall-to-canyon wall. I think all headshots. As i've said...it's probably not the best "all-around" sniper...but that's not what it was made for. It was made to be an extreme long-range weapon. That's exactly what it is. It's great at counter sniping, great at killing campers from above (looking down on a base from 250 meters out), great at killing engineers manning turrets. It gives you a little bit longer OHK ability (unless that's been changed somehow)...which can make all the difference.

So for all the nay-sayers: I used it before in the VR and trailed it...expected it to work this way based on that assessment. Now i've used it in-game and my assessment is exactly the same.

Why 500 rounds? Do I need 500 rounds to get the feel of a sniper in a video game? I think not. I have something like 40 or 50 shots with it and I have the feel for it just fine.

I don't need a "variety of combat situations" because I know that i'm only going to pull out the RailJack when I need an extreme-range sniper rifle. It's a niche weapon. Kinda like LMGs...some are great up close, some are great at a distance. But you wouldn't cry if SOE released one that's good at range but bad medium-close range. You'd just say "well this gun is meant for long range".

Guess what? The RailJack is meant for LONG range. It does a fine job at that, with or without the delay. It's a little weird to get used to but nothing a player wouldn't be able to handle.
  17. iller

Good deal Bro ....keep it up! ... get about 55 more and you'll be where I was last night.
    It's an interesting departure from the Bolt Driver that has atleast refreshed my interest in Disruptive sniping.

(tho I'm still undecided on it .... maybe I'm just dumb or can't ever make up my mind, I don't know).
  18. Baccano

You're getting overly defensive and missed the point I was trying to make, which is you have about as much right to talk about whether a Sniper Rifle is good or not as I do of telling the Piloting community What it takes to be a good Reaver Pilot.

Also you seem fixated on the Longshot. That's not the real question. The real question is why use it of the Default Sniper Rifle. A little breakdown:

Bolt Driver:_______________________________________RailJack:
    More Ammo______________________________________Less Ammo
    Faster Chamber time_______________________________Slower Chamber time
    Faster Reload_____________________________________Longer Reload
    Bullet fires instantly________________________________Bullet doesn't fire right away leaving you exposed (and ADS) for .2 sec
    Bullet hits target sooner till you reach 299m_____________Bullet hits target .01 of a sec sooner at 300m
    Bullet has some drop past 175m______________________Bullet has some drop past 225m
    Can OHK headshot out to 250m______________________Can OHK headshot out to 300m

Now if you desire a longer range rifle with a flatter trajectory only then can you ask why the RailJack and not the LA-80 or Longshot. But let's face that's not even a choice because even if you choose it for extreme range sniping Every other Sniper Rifle comes out on top up to the 299m mark for the Bolt Driver, the 400m mark for the LA-80, and the 500m+ mark for the Longshot.

I saw your comment about sniping the 300m+ mark congrats on getting a hit past infantry render range but, you would have been better off with the LA-80 or Longshot to hit your target sooner and without exposing yourself to .2 sec of uncloaked, ADS, countersniper opportunity.

This is why I consider you an unreliable source for informing the sniping community on the merits of one Sniper Rifle over another.

- SideWinder
    • Up x 2
  19. Vanon

I'm not sure if your upset that someone called you on your BS or if your just ignorant. I'll give you the benifit of the doubt though.

1) Testing a gun in VR is not an accurate way to test how the gun will handle in battle.
    2) Trialing a Sniper Rifle does not give you a lot of time with the gun.
    3) If your going to call everyone a whiner and say there full of crap, let them know its based on your limited expierence in VR and Trialing the gun.
    4) The total ammo for the long shot and railjack is what? 45? so 40-50 shots is really just running out of ammo one time.
    5) If your going to link a post to "prove your point" make sure that the guy is right, and doesn't later say that the gun sucks.
    6) 300 Meters is max render distance for infantry. There is no 300+ shots, as they will never hit.
    7) Max 0hk distance is 250. This means the damage does not increase the range of 0hk, as it's hard coded.
    8) Be a man. If your BS gets called, own up to it.
  20. Dr. Kush

plz fiex raiuljeck my mom's credut card cries everytim I use it
    • Up x 2