Character transfer, start charging and allow it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by D0n, Nov 22, 2012.

1. D0n

Server transfer is almost a must nowadays in any MMO, set a price and start doing it already.
    • Up x 3
  2. ReesesPieces

no. go back to world of warcraft please.
    • Up x 1
  3. D0n

Rofl, you wanted character transfer for free?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
  4. Rahabib

Constructive. Go back to ps1. See I can be a nonsense jerk too
  5. Ileko

Yeah, I think it should cost 25$, because moving electrons trough a wire with an automated system costs about 10 pennys per kilometer for companies and the servers are usually many kilometers apart, costs very much and it needs about 100 people working with the automated system that requires nobody to work on it. Then copying the stats of the character cost a lot of electron kilometers, I think it's like in World of Warcraft, where moving one talent point to another server cost about 21 pennys, then the letters in the name are very expensive, the price is the alphabetical number of the letter in pennies, so it will be very expensive for SOE too.
    I know this from being a programmer.
  6. D0n

Luxuries are always welcomed to be capitalized.
  7. XALON-NC

Why would someone need to switch servers with their character? The games been out for three whole days. NOONE should have enough certs and such a great kill/death ratio that they cannot delete and create a new one on a diff server.

And trust me, even if you THINK one faction is dominating a certain server, that will change in a matter of days (or even hours). Your best bet is to create a character of EVERY faction - each on a different server and then just let your friends know which you are on. Chances are ONE of those servers you will have more friends on YOUR side than the other two.

S!
  8. HvcTerr

In a way, it is better for SOE if they're free, with a long cooldown. It means they don't need to worry about certain things, like:

1. People will buy stuff now, even if they're not sure their current faction/server is the one they want long-term. The longer SOE lets this uncertainty continue, the more sales they will lose as people lose enthusiasm.
    2. The player-base will naturally load-balance based on their times-of-the-week play patterns. Also seasonal changes, like lots of students suddenly entering summertime.
    3. Like players, outfits will tend to move to fill available space, so that if new servers are brought online there'll be a seed community on it.
    4. Minimizes player rage when new servers are brought online ("I only picked East because there wasn't a Central before!") or offline, or relocated.
    • Up x 3
  9. Phatleet

Well I was part of beta in the Nononsensegamers outfit, The designated server upon launch was Mattherson, But silly me I picked WAtterson (or whatever it name is, they are annoyingly similar). I could delete my char but the thing is that I already dished money on him... So there you have a case to think about....
  10. Rec0n412

Station cash items don't transfer between characters?
  11. HvcTerr

I don't think so, no.
  12. IrishSnake

Iam not a expert on programming or anything but i wonder would it be possible to get from one server to the other via the warp gate in the long run this would effectively make the game 12 or so times bigger as for every server there is what 3 planets now if you combine all of that the game would be colossal.

Rename all planets and maybe move some of the bases around then it would be somewhat like eve where its just one big universe i dont know if anything like that is possible but it would be interesting to see if it worked
  13. HvcTerr

Nah, the whole point of multiple "universes" is that they can easily scale upwards with more players, and can be run entirely independently.
  14. Dever

This. I have a bunch of sc that I would dump into a character RIGHT NOW if I knew that I could transfer later if Connery stays the most populated server, or if there was an outfit I wanted to join. Some friends are on another server, but I'm not sure how much I'll play with them and I have a bit of sc already sunk.

Yes, I could absolutely spend a bit more, and spend another few days of time getting the certs I can't do without... It's not the end of the world.

But it's also not ideal for anyone. If I'm not worried about discovering that I need to play on another server for one reason or another, I guarantee I will spend WAY more cash. Real cash money.
  15. Alexander Angelos

I say, you should be picking a character, and just after that picking a server you want to play on, and it's not locked on a single server it should move freely.
  16. HvcTerr

IMO it should be free, but with a one/two-week cooldown. That way people move for the "right reasons" (outfits, friends, persistent performance issues.)
  17. 159123

negative
  18. Brandmon

Pay to fix the server populations?

[IMG]
  19. Deinonychus

Whether paid or not, the idea really needs to be followed through - as others have said, why should I pay anything for this character if in a week or maybe even a month, I discover I have friends playing on another server? Or perhaps my server (one of the new EU realms) will become dead? I'd rather not play an MMO with 10 people on each team... (for an exaggerated example) And if I've sunk money into this character then it's gone, completely unusable else where. Not a happy thought!
    • Up x 1
  20. RobotNinja

Why don't we just wait until they at least fix the cash shop and other account issues first?