What sacrifices has PS2 made to cater to PlayStation 4?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, May 10, 2013.

1. Rivenshield

You can kiss the money and time you spent on your PC character goodbye, then.
  2. ohmikkie

Never played PS1 but...

MAG has a similar armour/inventory system from the sounds of it. I do not really see a console influence there. I do prefer that set up but what I found in MAG was that basically certain tools became essentials like the medkit and or acoustic enhancer. There was less variety in the type of opponent you would meet.

I suspect it may be a good thing if they optimise a build for the PS4 because that port would be directly transferrable to a PC optimisation patch and hopefully all eight cores may be utilised efficiently in the near future.

One thing a lot of arrogant PC only gamers do not realise (and think they'd own every console gamer) is that virtually all console FPS's has some sort of aim assist (aimbot). COD has the worse: You don't even need to use the thumb sticks - just aim down the sights and you are on target.

I am looking forward to trying out the PS4 version I hope it links into the PC servers you that I can use my current character. I have lots of friends (I used to play MAG with) on the PS3 I've been selling this game to. They will be blown away when they see it on the PS4.
  3. Deltafoxnine

I am skeptical about future content being catered to the PS4 - More disk menues like the horrid "Q" menu inc. :/
    • Up x 1
  4. Machine Spirit

I'm a bit afraid that as soon as it launches the PC version will be completely forgotten, actually.. I am fairly certain this will happen knowing SOE.
    • Up x 6
  5. f0d

or twisted into a cod clone like battlefield3 and crysis2 multiplayer has (ok maybe not EXACTLY but more influenced)
  6. gregfox89

Are you on crack?
    • Up x 1
  7. Stew360

lol THE PS4 MIGTH BE ABLE TO PLAY ULTRA TEXTURE ON BUT ALL AT 30 FPS
  8. Nate

Well since the tweets today we got some info on PS2 on PS4. Separate servers. F2P. No date mentioned.

Can't think of anything in PS2 that screams "console!" to me. I'd have to think that PS2 on the PS4 will have some significant changes made. That they will be using the standard PS4 controller will force some interface changes. Aiming tweaks will also be needed?
  9. Ripshaft

Everything that upsets me as a player I will now tie to the PS4 release announcement.... Did I sucessfully summarize every reply for 9 pages?

Funny how hundreds of people can answer a question they dont have any answer to and still not feel like idiots.
  10. Littleman

Is this REALLY a detriment when everyone is expected to be playing at 30 FPS then?

Good news though: that means everyone will have to suffer the obscurity of SMOKE and SHADOWS for a change. Part of the "nights are too bright!" crap is because people have their shadows off. Go ahead, hunt for that Vanu with shadows on. It's like being a thug hunting for Disco Batman.
  11. MGAMIKA

I have seen the differences between no shadows and max and honestly night is not dark at all (I even have my gamma turned down).
  12. Littleman

Open field night is the same regardless. Bio-labs can get dark in spots where there are no lights. And there are varying phases of night, some actually darker than others. The darkest times are when HS/NV shows the ground as a bright gray. This is usually earlier, the latter half of the night the ground brightens up and HS/NV shows it as a darker gray. The latter pisses me off, because it actually makes distant targets harder to pick out, and HS/NV is good up to 80m under ideal, night time conditions.

Also, night brightness has an influence on shadow brightness. Parts of the night anyone can be hard to pick out if they remain motionless (and your gamma/brightness is actually low, monitors vary, contrast might be a factor as well) other times they might as well be standing in front of the moon.
  13. Stew360

Actually turning the gamma all the way up simply wash out thing and put a white filter over everything its not great at all to play this way

Anyway with spotting the nigth is not like super sneaky lol
  14. hellaskan

All I know is that being a true veteran gamer, i have witnessed WAAAAAY too many console ports/crossover games completely ruin the PC experience because the game has to be dumbed down for the typical ADD-having console idiot kids. There are a number of titles that the console crowd outright ruined by getting it on their platform.. I hope that this crossover is seamless

the first.. and i mean the VERY GOD MOTHER FLIPPIN first time I feel that PS2 is affected negatively by the console morons and their requirements for gameplay.. I am leaving this game and giving the PS2 devs a what's for!
    • Up x 2
  15. Stew360

Most consoles players who gonna play Planetside 2 on Ps4 are the MAG and BFBC croud for the most part and these peoples arent morons lol , they know whats is to be part of a large organised forces have you ever play MAG on ps3 ?

Actually the leadership options and squad/leadershipd like frago objective /comuncation etc.. was better than what we have in Ps2 at the momment , if anything i think the MAG croud will bring some improovement into Ps2 not dumbing it down by any mean
    • Up x 1
  16. Van Dax

Something interesting to note stew is that many console shooters are already locked at a frame rate of 30/s.
  17. Jrv

It's a shame they get their own servers...

Was looking forward to having a bunch of controller-wielding meat shields to shoot at.
    • Up x 1
  18. BH Brigade

Because lumping console users in with the PC crowd would FORCE them to buy/use mouse and keyboard, which believe it or not puts a lot of people off the game.
  19. XRIST0

Controllers , i just hate them now ,

BUT this is a really HUGE step forward for PlanetSide 2 , if it hits the PS4 its going be awesome for the game .
  20. DuckSauce

Via Smedley PS2 is going to see some big multi-core optimization in preparation for launch on the PS2.

So maybe it's giving up crappy performance on multicore systems?