Server wide anncounments for Avatars, please.

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Balbasur, Mar 16, 2013.

1. StaticLex Active Member

Increased lag from gawkers is a more reasonable argument than dishing amazing loot to casual players. The only problem with that is the servers are veritable ghost towns so I don't really see this being a problem either. Plus, how many times would someone go watch the mob die before they decide there's nothing more to see. Once? Maybe twice? Sorry but given the current state of the game population I just don't see this being an overly convincing argument either.

Like I said, my only problem with the way things currently are is the use of bots. If nobody used bots to camp the mobs then I would be absolutely ruthless towards the guilds that were unwilling to camp avatars. A server message would shave off a little bit of the advantage bots give the guilds who are using them. Even if it didn't result in new guilds getting kills on the mobs it might let people come and see the mob before it dies, which I think is a reasonable and mostly harmless thing.
  2. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Except there are still server performance problems in raid settings now even though the servers are 'ghost towns.'
    This has already been 'solved' by the 3 good avatars spawning in random spots. If someone has a character being automated to run around a zone checking spawns while AFK they can easily be reported and suspended.

The zeks are camped by basically characters being left AFK at their spots and periodically checked and possibly monitoring their logs. This has nothing to with bots BTW.

So still no good reason for messages except for maybe your misconception of what a bot is and/or who is using bots. If someone is using a bot its against the EULA and they can get suspended/banned. If they aren't using a bot they won't get in trouble and setting up systems to trip up 'spawn camping' is unnecessary.
  3. Crychtonn Active Member

Three guilds at Sullon Pestilence a month or so back plus a few gawkers made the fight unkillable. After numerous pulls with the server constantly lagging out causing red text failures one of the guilds left. Next pull with the lag gone it died. I'd imagine it'd be similar results on some of the other version. Imagine being the MT on Death trying to time you stone skin only to get a lag spike and you come back dead. Or running the add around on Tunare and getting the same so it doesn't move and starts it's fail effect AE. Try running Rodcet around but because the zone is full it lags out before moving and heals 10, 20, 30%.

If the servers could handle the load great no problem. But we all know they can't and the above will be the result.
    Avirodar, Estred and Neiloch like this.
  4. Epixz Member

Lag has been there since T7, it should be concidered a feature by now (at least i think that s how SOE sees it)
  5. Chocmerc Member

God, i hate firefox so much, I typed out text 5 times, but it kept getting closed cause instead of shift w my fingers sometimes hit ctrl w, closing the @*&#*(@&#@!(#* tab. Anyway...

I believe that there are several good arguments against this, such as lag and trolls. However, among the strongest opposers here seem to have a less than respectable opinion of non raiders/casuals. Strewn across their posts are hyperbole and accusations of entitlement, etc. A few have even said things through which one could infer quite easily that if you cant contest the mobs, then you have no business being there. Such a belief is rather flawed, especially since one could make the assumption that the majority of the player base would not be able to contest said mobs, thus meaning we support more of the game through our subscriptions/sc cash purchases than those who can contest the mobs. We should instead focus our discussion upon ways to make both sides happy, in other words perhaps thinking about methods in which we can still interact with the avatars other than killing/looting/burying them. :p

Also, a quote from Ardur Duradan

The problem is that casuals dont experience or understand all of the consequences in this game like a hardcore player, but still feel entitled to think that they can change it for the best( and an intelligent small portion of them probably can) and dont realize what effect a change might have to other parts of the game.

How very humble of you ;P I will give that statement the benefit that its writer didnt mean to come off so haughtily, and thus say that this an issue that many dont think about, that due to being in a certain camp one does not readily see it from other perspectives. Said quote could be reversed to apply the same to "hardcore" or whatever being a Non "casual" player entails. Said people probably dont believe that the mob has any value except as a loot pinata, when for some casuals, such as lore hounds like myself, find avatars to be an incredibly important thing to see. This conversation would progress much faster if everyone can agree that having the raid aspect of the mob should be as unobstructed as possible, and also to have everyone agree that this mob has a value as an NPC in the world (please dont interpret that as me asking for it not to be killed, as that is not my intentions), for us to see and experience its presence.
  6. Chocmerc Member

Tagged ya ardur so you didnt feel blindsided/left out of this discussion, i did quote you in the above post :)
  7. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

I have no disdain about casuals. I just look at this situation objectively. Hardcore players might as well be called beta testers for this game, they pretty much take on the actual challenge 10 to 100 times before it gets watered down and even becomes a remote possibility for casuals. I have played this game like a casual guy, and a hardcore guy. I can tell you that hardcore players just have an incredibly intimate understanding to this game compared to someone who hasnt experienced hardcore raiding in eq2. I dont think any hardcore player doesnt mind any competition for the mob as it increases the fun part for the hardcore player, the challenge(something that is dissipating in this game that hardcore players love). I do think that hardcore players are tired of lag, and the complaint about it might be seen as an attempt to avoid competition as well, and that may be so....it is a competition after all if you catch my tokyo drift.

I am sure there are very experienced casual players, I learned to play with them before I started playing hardcore. But you can usually tell the opinions of an experienced player from the past when the game had a higher difficulty and inexperienced person that is seeing the newer pay to win/solo instance gaming as a basis of experience. I think this is what hardcore players fear, and unfortunately put forth the blame on casual players. But in my opinion lets be honest, its not that far from the truth since these inexperienced people are playing a now tuned for casual play game.

The only thing I agree with you is lore, i think that there should be a quest line that involves them(so I can care about the story) or maybe a PQ that can be added where you can help the raid killing it or something. But yeah this game is a little old i know and it has its limits, my mind doesnt though. Either way, the lore isnt really there when you kill it, If this was to happen and you got a chance to go see it, a competative guild would be there to kill it and lag everyone out (more so because more guilds would know of its spawn and be there) So yeah. It would be a cool idea up untill it was implemented, then this board would see a storm of complaints. I can bet on it.
  8. Balbasur Active Member

These are Gods, when they set foot on Norrath it should be known via server wide renouncement, period.
  9. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks this would help open world pvp or anything on nagafen they are ********. All this would to is induce a 15-45 minute lagfest. As for proof I dont have videos, but I can tell you there is lag when there is just 2 guilds in the same zone on a contested, so I would say that adding to that wouldnt help.

I dont raid with onyx, havent raided with them since COE came out. I play 4 hours a week if I am lucky right now. Onyx kills these without a problem because the competition isnt big enough or organized enough right now compared to onyx. If there was a way to put 3 raids full of people in the same zone without lag I am sure anyone in onyx would support what you say because it would be sheer insanity and fun atleast for a month or two. But its not that way and everyone knows it. I could care less about it if they actually do this, but it doesnt mean I am going to say "hey what a great idea!" when its obviously not.
  10. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

explain to me in detail why it would be a joke because of that?
  11. Dinwiz Active Member

will someone ban this ******* spammer already ?
    Twyxx and Neiloch like this.
  12. Raenius Well-Known Member

Being contested content is the most important part of the challenge, which means you gotta track and find it first then you start to bring it down.
    If you cant make the first two steps this content is not suitable for your playstyle, there is no argument out there who actually justifies to do this part for you automatically while others still have the awareness/time to be successful on their own.

In the end it doesnt matter what content they are, if they are prophets of the gods, dragon lords or some uber world destroying shadowed beings, the lore behind is always second in command and has nothing to do with alerting players who are just not ready to meet said requirements.
    This worked for nearly a decade now and just a handfull of people are grumpy about this, so their concerns dont really matter in the first place.

Conclusion aka tip of the day: "manage your time/effort to grab contestet content by yourself, just get better at it."
  13. Raenius Well-Known Member

In other words: players have to be alarmed when avatars spawn because they are such powerful beings lore justifies to do this, on the other hand those powerful beings can be influenced to stay put on a spot because some mortal being is spamming hails for maybe hours, plus they arent challenged in the first place - L*A*W*L - man, you are bad.....
    Neiloch likes this.
  14. Pediculus New Member

This!
    Neiloch likes this.
  15. Liav Well-Known Member

Matin baiting it up.
  16. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Its funny to see a thread he is spamming when I have him on ignore. Just posts in a row with out of context replies to someone who seemingly doesn't know what they are talking about. Showing ignored content confirmed my suspicions.
    This pretty much confirms trolling.
    Really? You want evidence of lag on EQ2? Do you even play the game with other people? there are entire threads on this forum with devs responding and acknowledging lag. This is like asking for evidence that rain is wet. You are either trolling or not nearly as knowledgeable as you act.
    Here's some evidence though: forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?search/102697/&q=lagging&t=post&o=date
    I couldn't search 'lag' since the search function won't work with 3 letter words.
  17. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

I dont think matin even plays now lol.
  18. Balbasur Active Member

No one can show me any lag on Avatar pulls or any other contested zone of which epic are pulls, becuase they are talking out there ***** and just want to keep these GODS on lock down.

From a lore stand point you WOULD know if the deities are walking around Norrath it should be advertised via Server Wide anncounments.

Also the old tier mythical should no longer be announced, but that is of a different topic.
  19. Balbasur Active Member

Also pointing out those againt it are from:

Revelations
    Onyx
    Equilbirum
    Validus
    Fatality
    Shoukin
    and a guild that Xferd to Guk just to kill them.

Keep that in mind when you read this, it's a matter of do the devs want the common players to experience more content(allowing them to actually see Avatars) or do you want the 98% to keep subsidizing content for the 2%.
  20. Balbasur Active Member

While they are hailing it you set up and kill it, but under my scenario people will actually get to interact with content and not have it killed by a guild at 2:00 am in the morning.