Server wide anncounments for Avatars, please.

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Balbasur, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

hardcore guilds are more competitive, hence are entitled to competative mobs. They earn the right to be able to kill them by beating others to the kill. I dont understand the gray area here. You might be objectively right in terms of the actual feeling of entitlement and its juxtaposition, but in principle, you are wrong. The fact of the matter still retains its weight, people who put more effort into anything are entitled to more no matter what anyone says.
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

No issues with this at all. More effort should bring higher and better reward.
    What i don't understand is why if somebody has a proposal to get serverwide announcement for lore purposes is deemed as asking for easy kill. OP didn't ask for it. But people started to talk about entitlements or hand-overs right away. I don't see it as such.
  3. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

because the lore wasnt there in the first place. Not to mention the OP is a known troll and understood what kind of conversation would spark out of it, yet here we are.
  4. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Probably because it would make it easier to track avatars and thus engage them. Tracking is part of the challenge.
  5. Epixz Member

I m an oldschool contested player from T5 up until late T8. i just wish there was more opportunity to see 2 or 3 raid force at an avatar/contested. Running to nagalik or to brixxbroxxbraxx while another guild was running too was pretty fun during T5, exchanging pulls on terrorantula in SS or the lagfest that was MO in bonemire was awsome. And then avatar contesting was insane with all the server "drama" that ensued.
    What i tried to propose would allow those casual a way to pull those avatar while they are in their almost godlike status to start gathering info on them and maybe prevent the ultra HC from 1 pulling them with a bunch of boxed toons to match the min # to activate the script.
    The fact that the avatar would be godlike for a random time would make a guild question their objective instead of doing the usual: lol avatar pop gate to GH head to anto kill ET and then resume their instance.
    It would be a way to give HC a more challenging encounter and casual to get their sense of participation they so eagerly feel entitled to.
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

Nothing you can ever do is ever going to make the Avatars still be contested yet force another guild to show up that clearly doesn't care enough to show up.
  7. StaticLex Active Member

I don't think very many people enjoy competing for these mobs actually. They might say they do but I think they mostly just like the satisfaction (ego boost?) of having a contested mob on lockdown eventhough nobody else on the server tries very hard to get them. That and they like having an excuse to start juvenile trash talking in the level channels or on flames. That might sound like a troll statement but I'm dead serious, some of the most insecure people I've ever come across in my life seem to play this game.
  8. Chocmerc Member

lol. So he makes a post about wanting a server wide announcement, and you clearly see that hes trolling / stirring the pot, and yet you still show up here knowing full well what hes gunning for, and feed the flames?

Regardless, how about we turn this into some rational discussion instead of this train wreck. Though surely there are more, heres 2 reasons that should appeal to many people here,
    1) Just because the OP may, or may not be, a troll, does not mean this topic has no merit
    2) The best way to stick it to the darn troll is to turn this into a respectable debate on the merit of the idea.

I suggest that we step away from the idea that this is purely a way to screw with guilds and or an entitlement issue. Correct me if im wrong, but I dont believe thats what anyone here is asking for. With the ferocity in which some people have come at this thread and jumped to the conclusion that "non-raiders" or "entitled babies" or what have you, it almost seems like they are desperate to protect the way things are for the raid side of things, which while im sure many people have varying opinions as to its efficacy and merit, we should interpret this idea in a way that revolves around lore or the want to see this content, rather than interpreting it as an issue or threat to the way it stands as a raid mob/target.

But hey, if you actually came here to discuss how people are entitled in this game, or how much you cant stand non raiders trying to taek ur bukkitz, then feel free to correct me and lay out your stance, you silly Lolruses.
  9. Le Clown Active Member

Tracking is the most exciting and challenging endeavor of this game; keeps me buying krono's.
  10. Ardur Duradan Well-Known Member

because this would do JUST that. For example, Tunare pops, this serverwide emote goes off. So lets say this is on AB for example, the most populated server, and EVERY casual person and every guild that wants a chance at it comes to the zone, trolls are more easily led to the zone ( Anyone who has tanked an avatar, while getting a bunch of LoN invites/various disruptional things you can do to someone in this game will agree with me). There are already problems you gotta tolerate when trying these mobs, lag, people spamming things at you because they want the kill, and so on. Given the lag that raiders already experience this would increase it tenfold. The zone would become a mess of lag and stop motion visuals. All that ends up left is a waiting game of who can tolerate the lag more than the next guy. How fun!

The problem is that casuals dont experience or understand all of the consequences in this game like a hardcore player, but still feel entitled to think that they can change it for the best( and an intelligent small portion of them probably can) and dont realize what effect a change might have to other parts of the game. Changes coming from long term experience will always be better and more thought out. This game is so diluted because of entitlement, so of course I complain, we have an online solo game that is basically a Chat room that slows your PC down. Norrath used to be the timeless place I could meet up with others in and face a gaming challenge or be a part of a team. Its just not anymore and I have to thank joe schmoe who wanted to play an online game by himself once every other day for that because he and the rest of the goons thought that was a great idea for a game that used to require a group effort to properly experience..
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. Crychtonn Active Member

I don't think the Dev's will ever put in these server wide spawn messages. They know if they did they'd get bombarded by threads about zone crashes. Which a message like this can and will cause. Back when I was on Befallen during EoF there were asshats that would spam fake GM Events in Loping Plains when guilds were pulling PHH and constantly cause the zone to crash mid pull. Having zone crash when mobs are at 10% or 7% is not fun, I know from experience.

I don't see any downside to the suggestion of a server message that an Avatar was killed that someone suggested. Not that they need to add it but at least it wouldn't have any real negative effects on game play.
    Estred and Neiloch like this.
  12. StaticLex Active Member

That's exactly what it is. Everyone knows competition is good for the consumer while every company in the world wishes they had a monopoly. The game is no different in this regard.
  13. Lempo Well-Known Member

No what is is here is there is a large contingency of lazy players that want things handed to them.
    Camping spawns, noting kill times and spawn times are part of the work involved. Knowing your enemy, both the contested mob and the others that contest it, this is all part of it. The announcements people are crying and moaning for are nothing more than a segment of the player base that is not willing to do any leg work at all they want to be told where and when the piñata is up because they can't be bothered to go and check.
    The only defense they have, the only argument they can offer up is some ridiculous rhetoric about greed.

We lost a spawn last night because another competing guild got set up and activated the script before we did. Grats to them, we need to be quicker next time. The onus was ours, we failed, there were 2 up, we got 1, they got 1 competition works just fine. Of course we wanted both of the Avatars (they did too), people need gear, there are new recruits that need gear, this has nothing to do with desiring a monopoly and everything to do with 'winning' the competition to get there and get them down.

An announcement would have made zero difference, except possibly crashing the zone.
  14. StaticLex Active Member

Kinda like your silly rhetoric suggesting it's hard work camping mobs and that casual players want to be handed loot?

Look, like I said earlier.. it's not like a serverwide message would benefit only casual players. Hardcore players can read server messages too, right? And players would still need to be logged in to benefit from the message anyway, which is no different than it is now with sitting at the mob's spawn point staring at an empty piece of ground (which I still contend isn't even being done by a human the vast majority of the time anyway).

I understand where you're coming from though, competition for these mobs is bad for the company. I benefit from a monopoly myself and it's awesome, we get all the loot. It's fun and I'm grateful for the people that set up the bots to watch for these mobs. The funny thing is I'm actually on your side. I think every other guild should have to out camp and out race us for the mobs. The difference is I don't think they can do it even WITH the server message so I'm totally cool with it being added to the game.
  15. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Several people in top end guilds (the top 2 I know for fact) said a server wide message would mean nothing to them in terms of competition. The problem is the other things it would bring, such as people with no intention of going after avatars coming to gawk and increase overall lag. If they want to upgrade all the servers just so we can have serverwide messages without performance hits, go for it.

And if the message wouldn't benefit casual players and camping isn't hard, then why do we need the message at all? the guilds who want to kill them and aren't casual can just camp them like everyone else. Your arguments are going in circles and eating themselves.

If a server wide message wouldn't benefit casuals and camping isn't hard then a message isn't needed, just do the easy job of camping.
    If it would benefit casuals by letting them have a shot at avatars all their work is still ahead of them in actually killing it and beating others to it (who will continue camping BTW) plus any fringe drawbacks that come with it.
  16. Crychtonn Active Member

~ Response to StaticLex's last post ~

You say that now but I think you'd change your mind if it was added. When you and your guild rally in and start pulling only to have the mob lag out on a Pestilence fight or crashing the zone mid way through the fight. Let alone having people get stuck in second instances of the zone fighting to cross over.

I unfortunately experienced it more often then I'd like to remember back in EoF because some people thought it was fun to spam channels with fake guide events when guilds were working on contested. This would be my biggest concern on it. If the servers could handle the traffic without lagging out or crashing the zone I wouldn't care one way or the other. But we all know the servers can't handle it.
    Neiloch likes this.
  17. Neiloch Well-Known Member

EDIT: Sorry Crychtonn, my bad. I thought it seemed kind of odd how fast you replied lol.
  18. Lempo Well-Known Member

The issue here is it is not needed, the negative aspects of it outweigh the positive and by a mile.
    It could and would cause zone crashes.
    It could and would bring mindless little tools that would interfere just because they have nothing better to do.
    ---- IF the game was not F2P then I wouldn't be as adverse to it being added, if there was a poll I'd of course say no. Guilds need to do their own legwork on these. Get to know other players in the game, they don't even have to be people you would group with or would group with you. It could be a pure crafter that harvests, or a soloer that quests, or a player for hire that you would pay to report to you when and where an avatar is up. The game doesn't need to tell us this, I'll never bend on that, there has not even been a single argument ITT that even comes close to convincing anyone. The only thing that has been offered up is "I'm entitled, but I'm simply not going to go the lengths that they go to to get it."

You might think that you wouldn't care if they did it but after a few zone crashes, certain encounters broken/bugged or reset because of mindless little trolls I think you'd think to yourself, maybe it isn't such a good idea after all.

But I understand that I'm not going to convince you that I am right any quicker than you will pull me over to your side of the fence.
    Neiloch likes this.
  19. Crychtonn Active Member

Sorry Neiloch I was replying to StaticLex's post. You snuck yours in right before mine. :eek:
  20. Neiloch Well-Known Member

This does bring up a larger point: I don't think the servers or even the game clients could properly handle it if contested raid mobs were popular. The servers lag NOW with one guild in an instance. Could you imagine, and some servers actually experience it, if 3+ guilds were all in the same area going after one contested on a regular basis? This reason alone I don't think they will add such a message because it would bring performance problems into very strong focus. It's also kind of depressing since that means I doubt we will ever see 'popular' contested content again.