New gaming laptop

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Leloes, May 7, 2020.

1. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I generally spend 2 to 4 hundred on mine and they are all good enough for 6 boxing. I spill soda on them and keep having to get new ones. Pretty much you need at least 8 gigs of ram, 500 or more hard drive space, at least a 2 gig processor, preferably the one that has dual or whatever that is, the one I have now atm is an i5 and I always have the highest speed internet, and I don't have lag when so many others do, so I know most of that comes from your ISP. I am on my 5th computer now in just 2 years, all came from walmart.com on line order, I filter for the 8 gigs of ram and find a decent one that is relatively cheap cause I be spilling soda on them, roflmao, and you can use the rest of your money for other things you might need. And if people want to argue about the ISP thing, well, my ex can not log in from his house, but can at mine easily with no trouble whatsoever but times out at his and he has so called high speed as well. Also, I DO get lag if I go to the library if there are lots of people in there at the time, but never at home. And I am not sure why this is true, but he has a gaming expensive laptop, and I can play at his house with no problems on mine (179 walmart.com). ROFLMAO
    In conclusion, I advise to get a decent one that is cheap with the good enough specs and put the rest of that money toward a year of the max high speed unlimited internet. And always make sure you run CCleaner every day!
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Leloes like this.
  2. Leloes Well-Known Member

Sounds good!
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

No and no. Let's do it differently, I won’t recommend a specific model for you (and yes some others too don't want to take on this responsibility). You yourself find something, then tell us, and we will tell you why it's not need to buy it. ok? And we can say that you are lucky in this.. in that you love EQii. Because in this case, more expensive doesn't mean better (for this game). Maybe just and opposite. For example, if pt515-51-74w8 (acer) for about 1.89o $ has 2200 MHz processor, then rog strix g731gw-evo90 at cost of ~135o $ has 2600 MHz.. It's cheaper at ~540 $ and definitely better for this game (here, as many have already said correctly, and more than once, better is model with processor having maximum performance for its individual cores, rather than maximum performance declared for something more modern than EQii). I.e. look at on that doesn't always show on box - processor clock rate (clock speed). Rog strix with 2300 MHz processor is still weak if you need company of friends in this game, but rog strix with 2600 MHz processor, if you lower settings of game, it will more or less work (although this isn't enough - you need 2900 or higher).. That concerns ali-express. For you there they will offer not quite the goods which I will see (at this trading platform, regional issuance of offers for purchase). That is, I can’t open page the link to which I gave for you - they automatically redirect me :( What is real advantage of intel over amd and whether it there really, I not tell you. If it is, it can be is canceled by manufacturer of laptop. ..well perhaps. And I would not say that there are many good gaming laptops, but we are trying to choose from the worst and also expensive. Let's not do this, but turn our attention (because we play EQii here) to top models of previous years of release. You can make sight that over time, even after 10 years, the price for them practically doesn't decrease if they are new (and it's difficult to find them in stores)..
    Soara2, Breanna and Leloes like this.
  4. Leloes Well-Known Member

I think I understand what you are getting at. I play not only EQ2 but, also, Neverwinter and I play games that I buy on GoG. I bought my last laptop on ebay...it is a Acer Nitro 5....it is a good laptop but the HDD is a bit small. I quickly run out of space....I currently have EQ2, Neverwinter and Risen 2 installed. Which leaves very little HDD space for much else. The only reason I ask what you'd recommend is because you seem to know quite a bit more about computers than I do. For me it always helps to get the input of those who have more knowledge than I do.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

And from this you should was begin. 2400 GHz! It's like my favorite (non-gaming) desktop I like to sit in front of. Listen, and you should know, it's simple - increase disk capacity in your acer nitro 5. You just need a disk replacement:

Sorry for making technical typo, mulled megahertzs with gigahertz.. but you yet understand
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Perhaps all you need is to buy an external hard drive of sufficient capacity (320 GB or more). Then you need to remove it from case (for example use opener for cans or an old plastic card). Then remove the drive from your laptop using and screwdriver. Put one that is taken out of case of external drive. And put one that was in your laptop into case for an external drive. Then copy your games to new disk in laptop and your problem with lack of space for games and other things will be solved in such simple and relatively cheap way. And money can be spent for example on coffee and ice cream for DW
  7. Leloes Well-Known Member

Sounds good but I have a bit of a problem with my hands. It's hard to explain. Suffice it say I have a great deal of problems holdings things. Ah,my fingers just don't cooperate with what I want them to do. Makes it hard playing games but it is well worth the challenge. Besides, I get a new one....my brother gets my old one.....
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

It's understandably, since your circumstances these are, look and if you want, then before you buy ask opinion of us, other players, whether this or that thing is worth buying it for this and other games (but it's a pity that DW will again be left without coffee and favorite ice cream). It’s good that now you told what you told and we now know what you need and, if we have time, we can also try look for you something suitable
  9. Leloes Well-Known Member

I appreciate it.....
  10. Leloes Well-Known Member

Still not sure what laptop to go with. Should I stick with a Nitro 5? Or go with something else? Nitro 5 is a good little laptop but I just don't like the HDD space. I tend to run out of space too quickly. Just not sure what to do. Guess I'll just have to continue my research and see where it leads me.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

well, you are seems already decided to give nitro to your brother, and choose a new one for yourself. Is not it? Unfortunately, in most models, disks of sufficiently large capacities are not installed. So the choice is not easy :confused: As far as I remember, in some models affordable for you, two disks are installed. One for system, other for games and other files. And it would be a good choice if and sufficiently powerful processor is installed as well. But one of these disks (on which there is no system) will have to be replaced with a larger capacity and you need a person who will do this for you..
    Soara2 and Leloes like this.
  12. Balcerak Well-Known Member

When my desktop pc got too full (and I didn't want to bother opening it up) I just added an external SSD attached to the USB. About $179 for 1TB Samsung T5. Would depend on how portable you need the laptop to be though and an extra thing to carry around. Maybe Velcro to the back of the monitor. I put my games that need to load stuff from disk a lot on my internal drives and anything else on the external.
  13. Leloes Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who would be willing to do anything to help me with my laptop. At least not for free. That's why I decided to get a new one and just give my current one to my brother.

Well my primary reason for sticking with a laptop is because I'm mainly confined to the bed. So, to me, it makes more sense to get another laptop.
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

but I don't believe that in America there will not be enough people to write here for you something useful in addition to has been said. Because questions remain..
    Perhaps someone will find it useful, some thoughts:
    To transfer (if need) windows from one disk to another or from one laptop to another, you will need to create special technical iso-file (image file) using acronis https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2019/index.html#32449.html This is completely legal action if you use this program. It seems that this is without-alternative option for windows users to migrate them operating system. I have such an iso file and I can try to download it for you (and other), though this way of distributing program let's say it is not welcomed by copyright holder (and then I will need to consider option of transfer via p2p network).. And into my plans it was not included. Although no problem - It’s best not to violate your country's ambiguous laws in your country. But it’s still better to install acronis on your own, and during period of acquaintance with this program (it’s not free for continuous use), create such an image file yourself (main thing is to remember to set/ note that you need to create an image with “universal restore” option). Iso-image is then written to dvd disc or special program - to flash drive, etc.
  15. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Yup I understand wanting the laptop, just saying you could put an external SSD on it for more drive space. Your laptop should have plenty of USB ports for it. The external SSDs are tiny and use power from the laptop. Something like https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-T5...=1589305895&sprefix=samsung t5,aps,213&sr=8-3
  16. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

Have you fallen from moon? On amazon, price is three to four times more than the real price of this thing! Same new can be viewed on ebay or aliexpress and much cheaper. And you are well aware that unfortunately connecting via usb does not realize speed potential of ssd/hard disk. For usb 2 and even for usb 3, speed of disk is very reduced in comparison with connection interfaces inside laptops. This can be significant if you use swap file and there is not enough ram (less then 7-8) in your laptop and you also didn't assign all running programs to work exclusively in ram. Speed of writing to disk is important when you play, and not only in this case. Although of course if you use exclusively client versions of a game then it's tolerable. Besides, any additional peripheral devices for laptop is certain inconvenience in terms of comfortable use
    but sorry, yes, an external hard/ssd drive will solve problem of running out of space. just how to make it not interfere
  17. Balcerak Well-Known Member

No I have not fallen from any moon. I simply linked an example from an easy to search site. I also pointed out that I would not store games etc that require fast loading of data during play in my previous post.
  18. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

I calmed down, thanks. Excuse me.. And there is no point in acquiring an ssd as an external drive. no gain. neither in durability nor in speed, when compared with hdd
  19. Leloes Well-Known Member

I'm still looking at laptops so it really depends on how long it takes me to save the money. I usually get something about every five years. I'm about two years early but if I can find what I'm looking I'm going to get it.
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. Balcerak Well-Known Member

The searching part is the most fun. Computers used to change very quickly with CPU speeds, graphics etc. It is going a lot slower at the moment, so you have time to browse and compare.