missing DX11.1

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Trakum, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Trakum Active Member

As Angeliana linked to here for any bugs on the test port to DX11

Getting missing DX11.1 on my windows 7 SP1

Got this from the MS support
    "There is no stand-alone update package for DirectX 11.1. You can only install this DirectX version through Windows Update in Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Server 2012."

I tried this
    "Troubleshooting
    If your system meets the minimum specifications, you may need to install updates. If you're running Windows 7 (without any service packs) or SP1 without the Platform Update, you will need to upgrade to SP1 AND Platform Update for Windows 7:

Launch Windows Update and install Windows 7 SP1 (recommended update).
    Download and install Platform Update for Windows 7 (requires Windows 7 SP1).
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805"

Selected this file to download from the link above "Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu"

And it said
    "Update for windows (KB2670838) is already installed on this computer"

I tried updating to a 2022 driver (still got the missing DX11.1 pop up)

I'm not concerned for myself - i have a new rig incoming but its more for other Win7 users getting DX 11.1 missing error pop ups

Also should we really be saying its okay on Win7 as a minimum system requirement - all my senses/and research are saying this is not right.

Best of luck folks

according to : https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs. as suggested in the main thread

Graphics Features

DirectX
    12 (12_1)
    OpenGL
    OpenCL
    Vulkan
    CUDA
    Shader Model
    6.7 (6.4)

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 2/21/2024, 19:56:55
    Machine name: XXXXXXXXXX
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.190612-0600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z97-HD3
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/11/14 19:41:45 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8054MB RAM
    Page File: 6388MB used, 9716MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode
  2. Trakum Active Member

I went as far as uninstalling KB2670838 as even windows says 11.1 is provided in that update
    I re installed the update and still getting this EverQuest II requires DirectX 11.1.

• DirectX 11.0 is included in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. There is no stand-alone update package for this version. You can update DirectX by installing the service pack and update listed below.
    • DirectX 11.1 is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 RS SP1, with Platform Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (KB2670838).
  3. Arandar Well-Known Member

The DirectX 11.1 update for Windows 7 supports some of the optional features in that version, but the operating system doesn't have the driver model support required for all of the 11.1 features. In short, if they're checking the feature level for compatibility, Windows 7 will not work.

How they have it coded right now, the actual minimum supported operating system is Windows 8.1, Windows 7 is not currently supported with the test version. We'll have to wait and see how they handle this, either relaxing the minimum feature level requirement for DirectX or shifting to requiring Windows 8.1 as the minimum platform verison.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

This could very well be the case. We talked about it a bit over here, and after posting that I started digging into it a bit more only to find that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the game and its DX11 requirements when running on Win7 SP1. I found posts where the update KB2670838 worked, like the one I mentioned on Steam, but then there are others where it won't work under Win7 even after nuking everything and installing it in order after a fresh install. Makes me wonder how things will be decided for us around here seeing how Win7 is going to continue to be increasingly difficult to support five to ten years from now. Anyway, ppl are reporting the same issue even on Windows 10/11, here on EQ1/2 forums and on Steam for other games, but in most cases the ppl on Win10/11 are able to resolve the issue one way or the other. I haven't seen the same success rate for Win7, but maybe it just looks like that because it's not as widespread as 10 and 11. I was also on DX11 TEST for EQ1, and over there we had the very same discussion that we're having here right now. See here for example: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/video-card-check-for-dx-11-fatal-error.295551/

The interesting part here:

EQ1 Dev answered the call and gave his feedback. This should answer the "how" they check for compat @Arandar:

Then we have a certified Microsoft trainer post his feedback on the entire matter:

To which some ppl claim it didn't work even though they did just that. But then we have some folks who say it did in fact work that exact same way, such as:

Leaving this feedback here just in case someone wants to give it a go. In other words, completely uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics card drivers, directX and after applying ALL available system upgrades = some success in some cases where the hardware is not the limiting factor (= if it actually supports the required feature set). In the last case quoted above (Foridan), he actually just used the Windows device manager to automatically update his driver, because even though DXDiag said it was all correct and working, there seems to have been a driver glitch that was causing all the ruckus in the first place.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Lying schmucks. I, too, have the infamous KB2670838 on my Win7, and it's still ignoring my earnest pleas. >:-/

Uwk
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Minimum for us and this game, or minimum for running 11.1? :-/

Either way... X-P

But this still doesn't really address the underlying situation: If 11.1 is being so problematic, why the hell aren't the devs "going back" to 11.0 or insisting on 12.0???

Uwk
    Trakum likes this.
  7. Arandar Well-Known Member

The bit about DirectX 11.1 being available for Windows 7 is a bit confusing. Microsoft back-ported some parts of 11.1 to Windows 7, but it doesn't support the complete 11.1 feature level. It's too old to support all of the driver requirements to fully support it.

Bottom line, if they're going to stick with 11.1, then the minimum operating system version is Windows 8.1 and people still using Windows 7 (which they really shouldn't be) are out of luck.
    KauaiJim and SolarFaire like this.
  8. Trakum Active Member

I think whats driving the frustration is this

(avoiding naming names)
    The community "leader" posted a fix that , is not a fix at all or is incomplete
    The minimum system requirements are incorrect
    and the kick in the jewels is a dev that interacted maybe 2-3 times and is fixing the letterbox (that anyone could have done in the config file) and the cursor

Basically bypassing (essentially saying we here at darkpaw do not care about) all the folks having DX11.1 troubles

Full stop - the silence is deafening
    Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Trakum Active Member

As i also stated , i am getting a new PC (should be here tomorrow)
    But i am frustrated at the lack of communication
    And should my new PC NOT handle DX11.1 i am shelving EQ2 and although Everquest works on this PC on the new DX11 port , i might shelve that one too just out of spite
    They've had 2 weeks to come up with some sort of communication and have squandered it leaving everyone in a lurch
    Raeven, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  10. Arandar Well-Known Member

What GPU is coming with the new system?
  11. Trakum Active Member

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti

I was told the Ti could make the difference but im not banking on it

(Copied from one of my other posts)

RIP :oops: (purchased in 2015)
    OS Win7
    CPU intel i5-4690K
    GPU Strixx 4gig
    RAM 8 gig

Hello :rolleyes: (NZXT)
    OS Win11 home
    CPU intel core i7 13700KF
    GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti
    RAM 32 gig
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Arandar Well-Known Member

The bit about the "Ti" was in reference to a (very) old card where one supported the 11_1 feature set and the other didn't. I would think the 4060 driver would support everything from 12_2 downward.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Trakum like this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My Win10 laptop does, at least according to its DxDiag file, and it still isn't helping much. X-P

Uwk
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen. This is EXACTLY what they did with the ProSieben deal way back when. X-P

I'd posted elsewhere about that, where I did feel a bit for SOE back then, being at the mercy (heh!) of SONY, no doubt, and not being able to say anything about it. :-/

They don't have that excuse now; I doubt highly that our Swedish overlords would care. >:-/

Uwk
    who figures: okay, if it really is ONLY 11.1 that will work, o Powers, for whatever peculiar reason, just TELL US, officially, and we'll deal with it as best we can :-|
    Raeven likes this.
  15. Trakum Active Member

Confirmed the new rig can log in on test and play with no issues - copied my directory over - all my settings and profit ui work on test
  16. Arandar Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I imagine most of the folks who had some problems with current graphics cards either hadn't had Windows updated or didn't have the latest drivers.

For anyone at Darkpaw reading this, I think it would be a worthwhile investment of your time to create a FAQ that outlines some of the information that we've been sharing and discussing here. I think that having something for players to refer to would both reduce frustration on their part and make life easier for your customer service team.
  17. KauaiJim Active Member

Yeah as Arandar already mentioned the 'Ti' issue was with the GTX 780 (only dx11.0) vs GTX 780 Ti (includes dx 11.1). With each subsequent series (800, 900, 1000) dx11.1 support worked its way further down the line into each card in the series. I'm fairly sure the latest few entire series were all dx11.1 so your RTX 4060 Ti will be fine.

For what it's worth, the 'Ti' cards are usually significantly better than the equivalent non 'Ti' cards so you got yourself a pretty nice card there! Also a nice CPU and a good amount of RAM! :)
  18. VeloEQ2 Member

If the upgrade to DX11 is "forcing" you out, then reconsider that it is you yourself forcing yourself out. DX11 hardware has been out for ages and their is absolutely no reason why anyone who is currently gaming would be doing so on any computer/laptop that doesn't have the capability.. and in the event you are.. it's such a simple upgrade that it makes no sense to not do it. It's a giant upgrade to the game and has WAY more potential in the future then the loss of a few customers that refuse to spend a little money to upgrade their gaming setup. If your setup is more than a decade old, it's safe to say that it is time to upgrade.I can't even imagine why someone would put themselves in the position of playing the game on equipment like that because how could it ever be enjoyable? Playing the game at 10 FPS??
    SolarFaire likes this.
  19. Trakum Active Member

Thanks ! :D

Running the game at Very High Quality and I am getting anywhere from 125 to 250 FPS depending on where i am in game. Also, thanks to 7 properly placed fans, the CPU and GPU temp rarely make it over 45 (same with other more intense titles peaking at 65)

** haven't tried a raid yet

No liquid cooling yet and those fans are RGB in an NZXT H5 Elite case. I think i cried a little playing the game when i first ran it with the new system :rolleyes:
  20. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

That sounds really good tbh! Temps are looking nice too! So it's safe to assume you're seeing a nice bump in framerates all while having better visuals too. How is it seeing the game at that level of quality and speed now? Head over to greater faydark and tell us how beautiful the forest now looks and feels:

I like trees.