Beta Anyone?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Kiara, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-jolissa3 Guest

Extaris@Kithicor wrote:
    Enrolled, yes. Selected, no.
  2. ARCHIVED-Saintedone Guest

Im DLin my beta invite now. I have been in several SOE Beta's including the OG for EQ2 and I have found that patience is a vertue for real. Dont flame them if you dont get in because thats not the way Beta's work. They send out invites for a number of reasons they need to test before the game goes live, Load Test ect. Beta is not another game its more content added to this game. This is not a right as a player its an invite for specific needs for the development of the new content period. SO NO MORE FLAMING because you didnt get your inite yet, it may come it may not and beta testers who take it seriously help the game more than you know, this is why they open Beta's in the first place.
    Anyway I saw a couple I didnt get my invite yet post and dont want ppl thinking you guys (SOE) are doing anything to push anyone off.
    Be well, I hope to see you soon.
    Saintz
  3. ARCHIVED-Galithdor Guest

Saintedone wrote:
    Well congrats? though i swore you got a beta title for getting in...
  4. ARCHIVED-MrWolfie Guest

I'm not interested in playing Beta.
    I really don't want a "head start" nor do I want to see any content from the next expansion until it is released, and maybe even then it will be months before I really explore the place. This is because I am a CASUAL player. Heck, I still haven't done Maidens or Veksar or Vaults or Chelsith yet - I'm just not OBSESSED with doing the latest thing immediately.

However, I am interested in fundamental changes to the gameplay and mechanics.

I do want to have my say about these types of things.

When will that happen - after the fact, when all's too late?
    Because if there's no going back, it kind of only leaves me (and players like me) with but a few options:

1. Leave.
    2. Be angry and bitter. Rant and rave until SOE give in (see beating a dead horse threads in which I and my sig at the time demanded over and over that mounts go backwards just as fast as forwards). I mean why do players have to suffer while developers are so slow to turn back the damage they do? (see my current sig)
    3. Wait until something new comes along and jump ship.

Come on, SOE. Let's open the forums to discuss these things - although, groundswell opinion can always be ignored, can't it? (see my current sig again). Although, that change did lose you players - and some that I know personally still haven't come back.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kaarim Guest

MrWolfie wrote:
    I'm sure there are casual players in beta, and I am sure there are players with your play style and general ideas are helping supporting feedback. As saints mention just have some patience, the invite will come. Also if you are having issues with mechanics as of now and have any suggestions you can type /feedback and input your ideas there and that will help too, just as if you were in beta.
  6. ARCHIVED-WildBeastimal Guest

I'm having difficulty waiting patiently. Hehehe.
    It's been 10 days now.
  7. ARCHIVED-Calibratrix Guest

Seablade@Kithicor wrote:
    Only 10 days?

/flee
  8. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Calibratrix wrote:
    Heh, I was thinking the same thing

/leans on her walker...

back in MY day.... *snicker*
  9. ARCHIVED-Detor Guest

Seablade@Kithicor wrote:
    I know what you mean, I signed up about within an hour of when she posted it and I'm still watching my email for it. I did get into the Little Big Planet beta though today. No NDA there, so I can talk about it all I want. It's amazing what they've done with it - even the credits at the start were entertaining. Not really a beta though - it's pretty much finished it feels like, and I can't even find a place to report bugs (not that I've seen any). Since a huge part of it is user created levels though it was brilliant of them to release thousands of beta keys to the fansites and TV shows (who in turn hype the key giveaways in big contests and such) - this way people will be creating levels for it for a month before it even comes out in stores and with the freedom they give you in level creation (even importing your own graphics) it should be very interesting to see what people come up with. The design of it though just makes you start smiling the moment it starts up, something about the graphic design of it, you just can't help yourself.
  10. ARCHIVED-Asfera Guest

There is something wrong with Beta in this game, SOE Please re-look How you handle BETA.
    I signed up for ever beta since KOS and have never been picked, The sad thing is that with one of them SOE was giving FREE beta invites to anyone that ordered their Magazine, I ordered the magazine, Payed for it ($20) for one copy, Never got an email for the beta and my magazine arrived 4 weeks AFTER the release of the game, BTW the magazine was a PREVIEW of the Expansion. Nothing like a Preview 4 WEEKS AFTER RELEASE.

Please reevaluate how you Handle Beta invites.
  11. ARCHIVED-StealthM0de Guest

As a beta tester for other companies products (ddo:stormreach, eve-online, battlezone2:forgotten enemies, etc.) I can say this. SOE seems a little weird when it comes to beta selection. For example, all of the above mentioned titles were tested giving experienced testers first stab, then the general community for load testing at a later date (usually within 30 days of launch it became open beta). I believe SOE is at the closed beta stage. Hopefully, whoever is doing product testing (beta testing, not alpha) is submitting information that will help make the game more enjoyable for all of us.

I know personally this is the first beta sign up I've seen. I was around for dof, and only select guilds/persons who run characters on test, and are seen by the devs on test were invited to those betas. The raiding guilds were selected to thoroughly test raid content, even one very interesting match between lady vox, and her former husband nagafen. I watched a clip of that test, best npc fight I've ever seen. (youtube is a nice place to find beta clips btw)

For those who have not been selected as of yet, relax. If SOE needs your assistance they will contact you. In the meantime jump on the test server and get noticed!

Lastly, do not be too disappointed if they do not select you. Some companies have policies of not inviting customers to beta if their account has been "flagged" in any negative way. EG: if a GM has visited you for any infraction, or if your account was ever suspended. I know I fall into this category with SOE. Fortunately, I got friends in the beta and I have confidence they will provide the necessary input to bring to light any bugs/issues they may encounter.

I just wish Aerillik would reroll as a ranger sometime. Thats really the only thing that bugs me atm. But anyway that is OT, sorry.

If you find yourself in the beta please remember there are others out here that your input to SOE will help our overall gaming experience when this expansion goes live. Please just don't play it, and take notes to pass along to your guild. Please submit bugs immediately, and not hide them to be exploited later (you know who you are). Our hope rest with you who were chosen, may Marr guide your journeys through this new land as you put it through its paces.

Fair thee well friends....
  12. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Stealthmode@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    As I recall, there have been applications for Beta for every expansion. EOF was the first I got into, though.
  13. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

While neither my wife nor I have gotten an invite yet, I am wondering If the only invite I get is for the final load testing would be worth doing.
    By that I mean, the only thing that the load testing part of beta does is generaly just that, just testing the software with lots of people to check for various possible conflicts. Any overall class and 99 percent of the quests will be finalized. The people who get in at this point will be getting a free look at the content in excange for being there but that is not why I like to do beta testing for EQ2.
    For example, I was in the closed beta for a while for RoK and worked with the JW dev to get a priest items stats that is a quest reward adjusted to work for both melee and nuking priest. By the time the load testing/open beta began pretty much all of that was completed and no more major changes were made and only a very minor adjustments/adds were done for quests.
    I got in the EoF beta at load testing stage (a week or so before it came out) and it was pretty much set in stone with wardens cure aa nerf not even taking place till EoF actually went live.
    I can see a bunch of nuking "i am not a druid so i shouldnt be a dps hybrid" wardens now giving all their inputs in and by the time I get there wardens are more like shamen or clerics then druids once the aa's are done and there is no way to change it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Detor Guest

Oakum wrote:
    I know what you mean, the best part of beta is the early part where you're being personally called on to come help test a new area still being made. In EQ1 I remember one time I found a way to solo a raid mob, and I got to have a long conversation with the dev working on populating the zone while I was trying to show him how it was done. (it was convoluted and everything had to go just right to work) You don't really feel like you got to help out as much when it's down to the "Let's just see if the server will crash" phase.
  15. ARCHIVED-swedago Guest

Personally.. I have been in all the Beta tests before (DoF,KoS, KoS-PvP,EoF & RoK). If you are not chosen now.. More than likely you will be selected towards the end of it at least. The expansion is next month either way.
    /waves at Fluffy
  16. ARCHIVED-Allyra Guest

Not to be ornery, but I was in the DoF Beta, and I've never played on Test.

It seems that they want a specific kind of set of beta-testers, and if your character doesn't fit in (or they already have enough of your type of character), you probably won't get in. I know it's disappointing, but it's also sort of irritating to BE in beta! (Of course, I still signed up, hehe.) You have to experience all the irksome bugs so they can be reported and fixed. It is exciting to get to see the new content before the majority of the playerbase, but you have to work for your fun!
  17. ARCHIVED-Calibratrix Guest

It can feel like playing the lottery when you sign up for a beta program. You can go for several cycles without ever receiving a notice to get into testing. I've definitely been there and done that with the games I've played. A part of me thinks, "wow, I'd be a great tester, why wasn't I picked?" while the other part of me thinks, "Dangit, no beta invite...guess I'll redecorate the hovel!"

Several of us, myself and Kirstie included, monitor the state of the beta program on an almost hourly basis. As new zones or systems or fixes come online we're checking a lot of things before we round up another batch of vict...er...testers. So yes, patience is key! As is showing up at my hovel and washing all the windows.

/hum
  18. ARCHIVED-JenarieII Guest

I did a lot of EQ1 betas... some of the devs there (well, if they are still around) would remember me and could probably give me a reference. ;)
    I don't mind waiting but it is frustrating to be told it goes in order but see people who signed up after me are in. I'm not upset at anyone, SoE included, but it does make me wonder if something went wrong with my app and I need to reapply or if everything is going the way it is supposed to and I just need to be patient. :)
  19. ARCHIVED-Crashagain Guest

Got my beta invite tonight. Downloaded into a copied directory, as instructed, and tried to log in. I'm told I have no subscription!
    /boggle
    I went through all of my account info, just to be sure, and I really do have a current and paid subscription.
    When I tried to follow the link to the beta forum to see if there was info there, I was delivered to the normal EQ2 forums.
    I've been teased.
    /cry
    Can anyone help here, please? I never had this problem with the betas before. Did I miss something important?
  20. ARCHIVED-Legol1508 Guest

So wollte mich auch mal für die Beta melden und hoffe das ich noch berücksichtig werde ^^