why does EQ still need to be a anti-solo game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Leex Pewpewer

Still better then back in the day when you'd be at 2% HP and the mob would still have 30%+ and that was a greenie.

And if you aren't using a merc on a Warrior to try to kill things then Idk what to tell ya..Sounds like you aren't utilizing everything you've got at your disposal.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Duhbeast Augur

we did PoHate last night with an open raid with 40ish folks in the raid. It made me realize how easy those fights are if you know the fights. Draco/Cazic might be more on the tier 1 level, but maestro/Inno almost seem 1/2 tier and a very easy way for folks to get TBM raid gear stepping stone.
  3. Triconix Augur

I suppose it's better, yes. But so is murdering 1 person compared to 100 people :)

The OP was discussing true soloing so I tried to keep mercs out. Obviously in real time situations a warrior will be moloing unless they like waiting 25 minutes between each kill.
  4. Leex Pewpewer

I just don't see the issue when you are alone in using a merc.

If you were able to go solo the content there would be NO reason to group, period. So it's pretty apparent to most that the reason they don't allow it is to keep the group game, but they added mercs as a solution for when groups aren't available, so that they can keep content semi challenging to some.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Not that I'd want to, but you could always kite it... theoretically.
    Tarvas likes this.
  6. Triconix Augur

You're preaching to the choir man. I'm not the one advocating all classes should be able to solo. I'm perfectly content needing support and it was very fun going out with groups do to the challenger stuff for the aug.
  7. Tyraxor Augur

I'm sure it has been said before lol, but...
    who makes a tank toon and then wants to solo with it?
    I thought it was common knowledge across all games that you make DPS toons (or mind control) for that.
  8. Laronk Augur

If he wants to keep mercs out he's being unreasonable. At that rate he may as well say "I want to solo to 105 with 0 aa but the game isn't being friendly"
  9. Laronk Augur

So you only think it should be a little slower than a "good" group. What is a good group to you? There's people that play who think 10aa a hour is a good exp rate (it's not) then there's other people who can get 100aa a hour in a group, so should soloing be a little slower than the 10aa an hour? (any class with a merc can already achieve or should it be a little slow than 100aa an hour?

Really I could do any character to 105 with just a merc no boxing the real issue is its very very hard to acquire gear without at least 1 box.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Plenty of games support soloing for tank classes. The strategies are just more tailored to their strengths, e.g. low downtime and survivability against harder/multiple enemies.

That's exactly the problem. Soloability isn't broken in EQ, it's just broken for a couple of specific classes. Really the root cause is HP recovery and defensive damage are waaaaaay behind where they should be for a couple of classes. Fix that, tweak a few already-in-place "solo mechanics" and we'd be in a much better place.
  11. Tyraxor Augur

Yea but this isn't one of the random asian games, they support a lot of things there that Eq players hope they will never see. A tank isn't exactly just that in many of those games either, the trend goes towards everyone can do everything if forced to. And healing comes via consumables...shiver.

I see where you are coming from, but i don't fully understand why it starts bugging you now.
    From day 1, it has always been like that in Eq...some classes are terrible solo.
    In the end it still all worked fine because those classes were needed for other things, a warrior for example can be in the spotlight on Raids while a dps toon is just one of many.
    Playing social is the key here, if i'm sucky solo i focus on making friends to hang around with.
    If that isn't possible, there are far worse problems with...well everything, considering it's mmorpg.
  12. Dre. Altoholic

I don't expect you to know my post history, but let's just say it's not the first time I've mentioned it.
    It would be a nice improvement if healing potions stacked to 100, had a reasonable recast and didn't lock each other out.
    Nniki likes this.
  13. Triconix Augur

Why am I being argued against? All I did was follow the rules of the OP. By his standards, it's true that warriors cannot solo.

Do I agree with his stance? No. So why am I the one being targeted as if I agree with his position that people should solo without the usage of mercs? I thought I made it pretty clear that any class can solo with mercs, but the efficiency ratio doesn't change. It still is slow for a warrior compared to pet classes.

Do I care that warriors aren't efficient? No. I'd prefer to group and I don't mind taking out a box.
  14. Tyraxor Augur

Fine with me, but what i mean is that in many new games there are no healer classes.
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

New war/rog/zerk inventory pran ^ . ^

[IMG]
    Silv, sifonin, Nniki and 1 other person like this.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Hehe, but seriously I think that some of what Dre. said isn't unreasonable. I don't see a problem with Potions stacking to 100, the heal over time and direct heal potions not sharing a timer, or the reuse timers being a bit more reasonable (as you get to higher level versions of them). I will admit though that it has been a long time since I even considered looking up what modern healing potions do.
  17. runecrow Elder

I play a 77 wizard, and I've soloed her from 0 and I'm sure I can solo her to the end game. The only thing that is a factor is time. If you can't solo whatever level mobs you're trying, then drop down to a lower level zone and do those until you can do what you're not able to do now. It's like when I see people complain things like "mercs make the game too easy" then take yourself up a zone level. Go up to a zone where things aren't easy. The game can accomodate skill or lack thereof simply by finding the right zone to compliment your character's strengths and weaknesses, and by facing things relative to your level. If you can't solo light blues or greens then yeah something is wrong but not with the game.

Naturally you're not getting as much xp for the mobs which are relative lower level but a group is just going to syphon your xp anyway, plus get their cut of the loot; whereas you're getting all the loot by soloing, plus probably the same amount of xp anyway. This is why I never joined a group, it seems to me to slow me down and cut into my profit.

BUT what I would like is to get rid of "you need a group to do this quest" (unless you actually do need a group of people to handle different objects at the same time or something).
  18. sifonin Augur

Bruh. Were you not 70s months ago when posting about wizards being the total haxorz solo class versus necro??
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Some of us don't play that much, or take time to do tradeskills, etc. "Months" doesn't mean the same thing for everyone, or even time /played, if you're spending a lot of time on non-XP type activities (the greatest of these is alts, of course :) )

My main is now level 100 (just dinged the other day), and I have over 200 days /played, over 15.5 years!

The last 10 levels were done in less than 10 days /played (but still a couple of years!)

Tat

PS - oh yeah, "Bruh". LOL
  20. sifonin Augur

Gratz on 100!
    Crystilla likes this.
  21. Roganthus New Member

lol me and my brother use to just box 3 characters each cant wait to find out if all my accounts are still around =oP got the warrior bard monk cleric shaman rogue ftw