What is the purpose of a Truebox server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Time Burn, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machentoo Augur

Completely agree with this. About the only time I ever actually six box is the first week on a new server, because it is fun to annoy the anti-boxers. Most of the time it is way too much work.
  2. Silinius Augur

Oh no, a community manager misspoke when posting something on the forums... it's the end of the world of Norrath as we know it! We all know that's never happened before /sarcasm off.

What needs to happen is a solid definition of terms. Somehow I doubt that the people caller her out for this are "new" to the game and don't know that on Coirnav, Agnarr and Phinny, you can not play multiple characters on the same PC. That is not allowed and we all know that. If you want to play multiple characters on the same PC, go to Lockjaw or Ragefire. Period... end of story... no additional discussion needed. They are trolling because she used the term "boxing" which CAN mean either playing multiple toons from the same computer... or playing multiple toons, each one having their own computer.

I have a term for you... It's "Waste of Time" which is exactly what this thread is.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and Green_Mage like this.
  3. UnjustBannedAtabishi Journeyman

No one jumped on her for using the wrong terminology once. No one jumped on her for using the wrong terminology twice. Actually even the third time she did it people were still being nice. She has misused the term boxing, over a handful of times now over the past 2 weeks on multiple threads, despite being corrected EVERY time she does it. That's why I asked for clarification because I can't imagine that over the course of 2 weeks she wouldn't have learned yet.
  4. CragN8R New Member

How exactly did she misuse that term? Boxing refers to a single playing controlling multiple characters. It's generally understood that they usually do this through programs that map a single key press to multiple versions of a game running on one or more machines at the same time, which is against the terms previously posted. Hence, boxing is a ban-able offense.

Now, it's possible to use multiple keyboard and multiple computers to play multiple characters in a way that doesn't violate those rules and would thus not be a ban-able offense. Honestly, there needs to be a different name for this to avoid the previous confusion. Something like...multi-play, for example.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

/sigh

1. Boxing is playing multiple characters at one time.
    2. Botting is using 3rd party macro programs to automate play.
    3. Helper programs like IS Boxer allow you to send keystrokes to multiple instances of EQ on the same machine.
    4. Boxing technically can be accomplished using one PC and multiple instances of EQ.

Using 2, 3, and 4 are not allowed on True Box servers and can get you banned. Boxing on separate computers is not a bannable offense on any server.

Got it?
  6. CragN8R New Member

Yeah, but boxing on one computer is, so saying that boxing is something that can get you banned is still accurate.
  7. Numiko Augur

Technically you cannot "Multi Box" on one computer because the "Box" in question is your computer case.

You can have Multiple clients running on one computer, but you are just using one box.

This is Multi Boxing :

[IMG]

This is playing Multiple clients on one PC

[IMG]
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

It might be true but is it accurate? The whole thing stemmed from inaccuracy. If the DBG rep would have said, "Boxing multiple characters from one PC on a True Box server is a bannable offense" then there would have been no uproar.
  9. CragN8R New Member

Honestly, that's a pedantic distinction. Whatever your set up might be, what's shown in game is one person controlling multiple characters. Multiboxing is the general term for one person controlling multiple characters. Just like alt-tabbing out to check Facebook is still considered going AFK, even if I don't actually leave my keyboard. It's accurate enough as a general term.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

This was already explained to you. It's not pedantic at all. Do you even know what that word means? Daybreak has made it clear that what they want with the truebox server is one PC per character. They also don't want any software to be used that automates or duplicates any inputs to secondary PC's to be used.

The first picture refers to a person that has multiple PC's, with each of them running a character. The second picture shows someone using one PC to run multiple instances of EQ (or perhaps even multiple instances of windows that each have their own EQ client installed)

The community at large has made it clear that the term "boxing" simply refers to a secondary character that you have. What they are talking about is the community rep has used the term boxing to imply that people playing multiple characters even from multiple PC's is not allowed, which is incorrect.

She was confused or mistaken, which is ok. You were confused or mistaken, which is also ok. What is not ok is that multiple people have explained this to you and you still don't get it. They even gave you pictures. Just recognize that you painted yourself in a corner when you said "Yeah, but boxing on one computer is, so saying that boxing is something that can get you banned is still accurate."

Here's another photo for you, maybe he can help you understand.

[IMG]
  11. Hels New Member

In regards to Coirnav, even when unattended gameplayers are reported, nothing is done. Who's supposedly enforcing this? I've seen people swimming in circles for hours on end (not swimming against a wall with autorun on), feign death and swimming training for hours, mage armies casting Cinder Bolt all at the exact same time, I've seen nothing come of any sort of reporting. The same cookie-cutter GM response of "we'll look into it", when instead of sending that message all the GM would have to do is go to the zone and watch the reported player.
  12. Nessirfiti Augur

Same thing, Hold down W and A and then hit enter and you'll keep going in circles
  13. Machentoo Augur

Or maybe, I dunno, true BOX.
  14. CragN8R New Member

No such thing was implied. The original comment responding to the CM in question was speculating on a response by certain people who might infer something completely different from what she meant.

The main issue here is not that the statement in inaccurate. It's not, it's entirely accurate. The problem is that some people believe it wasn't specific enough. Which is why I called it pedantic, since it's demanding a clarification that I feel isn't needed. The second I read the Corinav rules, I understood that the type of boxing used in that first picture would likely be allowed (we'll assume it follows all other rules for the sake of this argument, since it was used as an example) but that the second wouldn't.

Look, from what I've seen here on the forums, multi-boxing has a pretty... negative opinion to put it mildly. An opinion that results largely from stories about people doing the kind of boxing that is banned on Corinav. I know the multibox community at large doesn't want to "ruin" a game for everyone else, as some claim they are doing. They just want to play in a way they find fun and interesting, without being accused of being cheaters or being told they will be banned.

This whole argument, I feel, started off on the wrong foot. As you said, that's okay. These things happen. Bottom line is, people following the rules know they won't be banned. Daybreak knows the difference between people following the rules and people that aren't. The kind of people that would use this post to say that any and all boxing should be completely banned are the kind of people I doubt were arguing in good faith to begin with.

(To be truthful, before I read this thread I didn't think there would be people that would want to multibox with the second and third restriction in place. Even controlling two separate characters on two separate computers with two separate keyboards seems a bit daunting, I can't imagine the contortions needed to manage 3 to 6 characters. Anyone doing that must have a lot of desk space is all I'm saying)
  15. Kahna Augur

No, just a lot of well set up hot keys and a few wireless number pads.
  16. Risiko Augur

You know the sad thing is that NONE of this would be necessary *****IF***** everybody was just nice and considerate of everybody else playing the game around them.

Its the fact that there are so many morally corrupt people playing Everquest that causes any of these rules to be in place, and that's just plain sad.

This whole thing is an indicator of how morally bankrupt humanity has become.

TL;DR ... stop being jerks to each other!
  17. Numiko Augur

how to control 6 pc's with a very small footprint on your desk and no keyboard/mouse click broadcasting, you cant really use the stick trick well because of the True Box code, it will often auto kick you if it detects multiple inputs from the same ISP at the same time.

[IMG]
  18. UnjustBannedAtabishi Journeyman

It was just confirmed to me by Daybreak that boxing or "multi-boxing" is indeed not permitted on True-Box servers now and every character must have it's own individual person controlling it. Not sure at what point they switched to this, but apparently it's the rule they are currently going by. Do what you will with that information.
  19. Girth-Matters Lorekeeper

Just stop talking. She has posted this like 3x in this thread alone:

Doing any of the following on Coirnav may result in action being taken against your Daybreak Account:
    • Playing multiple characters at the same time from a single computer.
  20. UnjustBannedAtabishi Journeyman

Lol I'm a boxer, not an anti-boxer. Don't get things confused.

Submit a ticket yourself asking, you will likely get the same response I did.

They defy the spirit of the server; which, as you know, does not permit boxes. Each character is supposed to have it's own person controlling it.

Don't forget the line that's above what you posted.

A True Box Progression Server is a place where players are only allowed to play one EverQuest account at a time on their computer.

And this is what she said:

"True box servers are meant to encourage players to group up with friends (and/or make new friends!) instead of just plowing through the game with a group of alts upon alts. Boxing (while making sure to follow the ToS) is generally fine on servers that do not have the "true box" ruleset, but it is a bannable offense on true box servers such as Coirnav and Phinigel."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.