[Video] Vizier's Modular Pulling Technique

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Vizier, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axxius Augur

We are talking about a group that has enchanter AND bard, i.e. the cc heaven. And Qest is saying that ENC should still pull, which I find hard to justify. BRD can pull a lot faster and do the initial AE mez, and then ENC locks it down for good.
    silku likes this.
  2. silku Augur

I will say from personal experience, I did not make much use of wave until I began to do pick up raids with a guild on my server. Now I still use stare in group content, in many situations.. but on raids that need CC I keep both up. Wave is very useful in raiding situations.
  3. silku Augur

Which one will boost the ADPs of the group more by being present though? If the enchanter can keep all the stuff in camp, locked down, and pull waves of mobs on top of you.. and the bard boost the group more than the chanter would if he were present.... Usually when I pull in zones with decent charm pets, I have a charm pet going too while I'm out pulling.

I dunno though to be honest, I never group with bards.I do know this from exp, it's very hard for anyone but a bard to pull in a group with mercs because of bard songs. They hit the person pulling on incoming and the merc goes nuts running out to swamp the incoming tide of pulls.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Imagine the group is heavy on melees. The group is constantly fighting. Someone has to leave to fetch more, and considering the group would only lose (most of) the enchanter's meager damage output, it's better the enchanter go and let the bard DPS/ADPS the group. If the mobs are normal, the group just needs some fool to go aggro a bunch for the enchanter to mez.
  5. Axxius Augur

If a group has ENC and BRD then the most efficient way of pulling would be to let BRD pull a bunch and ENC cc it. The only time lost is that 1 big pull, after that there are no delays between mobs. When there is only 1 mob left, BRD can run and fetch the next bunch while the songs are still on for 2-3 ticks. At Selo speed and with the huge range of Bellow the time to pull the next bunch is minimal and almost no dps lost (which is compensated by ENC dps too). Mind you, there cannot be more than 2 melee dps in that group because such a group requires a non-pet tank.
  6. silku Augur

Another note: In such a group the chanter would have access to a 4 minute selos buff, and has a nice range on his insta cast Ethereal buff. So the chanter pulling would be just as fast as the bard pulling.
  7. Axxius Augur

Oops, I missed this reply. What's a merc cleric doing in that group beside buffing? You have a druid for heals. Why not use a dps merc?

However, you are right about the puller - in that particular group ENC is indeed the best option to pull. But then why 'modular' pulling? Why not bring the group of mobs straight to the group, beam it there and proceed with normal mezzes and slows while the mage and 2 wizzies (counting wiz merc instead cleric one) have your TC aura? +11% crit rate on 3 casters is too nice to waste for the sake of 'modularity'.
  8. Axxius Augur

True, but then you cannot control the size of the pull without losing substantial amounts of time. You want 5-8 mobs. BRD can easily get rid of any unwanted extras while running back to the group. ENC can't mez on the run or drop/regain aggro instantly. Named can also pop. This whole ENC pulling method goes out of the window if a named spawns with friends in close proximity.
  9. silku Augur

Name spawns, click beguilers, walk to group with named.
  10. Axxius Augur

Which beguilers? The cone AE one is hopelessly bugged and will likely cause a huge train. It's not safe to use in most places where you'd want to group.
  11. Gladare Augur

This is backwards. To test it, grab a ranger with the SoE aa and a druid with the FoE spell and FoE aa. The ranger SoE aa overwrites the FoE spell, and the druid FoE aa can overwrite and be overwritten by the SoE aa because they are the same speed. I'm fairly certain of this. I would think at worst, the FoE aa would be the same speed as the spell.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't have posted this until I tested it myself. I just seem to recall this happening.
  12. Vizier Augur

The reason for cleric merc is because my wifey is not always comfortable being the only healer. This is not to say that druids cannot be the only healer in group, they certainly can, it's just what my wifey prefers. She likes a comfortable atmosphere when we group, as do many people I meet and group with. This brings up an important issue that I have not seen discussed.

As an enchanter part of your unspoken job is to create the appropriate atmosphere for the group. You have to consider the folks in your group, and keep an appropriate pace. We can pull as fast as the situation demands, but there isn't always a need for that intensity. IMO it is not correct or polite to force a blazing fast pace on your group if they are not interested in, or capable of it. Each group is different, being a good team leader means knowing what your team wants and delivering that.

Now about group pulling + mezzing vs single pulling. Both techniques are perfectly valid. I prefer the controlled repeatable method I showed in my video for MOST situations. Not every pull is a cluster of 4-5 mobs. In fact those pulls are much more rare because sony designs the content to be friendly to groups without a dedicated CC toon. Do I group pull? Sure, if the situation calls for it. Even when I group pull, 9 times out of 10 I will use Beam of slumber then single target mezzes. This may be just personal preference but I like the control this technique offers me.

The purpose of the video however is to show a very practical way to pull that anyone without experience pulling can learn quickly. Also I think if I had shown group pulling as my primary technique, I would have just as many people telling me to use the aggro range style to get singles out of groups of linked mobs. Not everyone knows about how mob assist aggro works so I wanted to make sure I demonstrated that part in my video.

tl;dr: If you are already a great puller then the video isn't really intended for you. This (like my reverse charm video) is aimed at folks who are trying to pick up a new skill, either because they are new to the class or for whatever reasons havent practiced it yet. To this end, both videos have already been quite successful. Ive had a lot of in game thank yous from random people who enjoyed them and found them helpful. The Enchanters who actually post here on the forum are probably not representative of your average joe enchanters who just read posts here and play in a comfortable, casual way but are interested in learning something new about the class.
    Axxius, silku and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  13. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Personally, I prefer to tag with Wave or Stare AE mezzes, then deal with whatever resists, if anything. That said, I use all the methods discussed so far.

My wife is an old skool Monk who gives me amazing tips on the intricate details of pulling. It's like having a dev telling me his secrets! It's the only exploit I happily exploit.
    silku likes this.
  14. Canik Augur

I love every one of these threads. I'm a noob enchanter (Currently lvl 66 with nearly 300 AA) and each video and the ensuing discussions have been so enlightening and constructive, I really wanted to drop in and say thanks. You guys rock! Keep it up!
    Vizier, silku and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  15. Vizier Augur

To avoid getting irritated I didnt read your post initially, but I just now skimmed over it and saw this. I wasnt using scint beam, I was using Beam of Slumber. Beam of slumber levels up to match your highest mez level (currently 103).

Scint beam is cool and useful too but I just wanted to clear that up.

How is my mez breaking trick that I've been doing since the TBS expansion in any way connected to you? Did you invent blurring a mob with an item that has a memory blur clicky on it? Before I had the belt I used a different blur...

You did't invent the belt Dandin. You linked me an item from an expansion I never played. There is a pretty big difference there.
  16. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

He swears he didn't invent logging in and logging out too, but we all know the truth.
    Potawatomi likes this.
  17. Dandin Augur

Sigh. I didn't invent anything. I simply made it public knowledge
  18. Vizier Augur

Can you please not post on my threads? I know there is no way to force you away. I am just asking you in a respectful way to keep whatever comments you have to yourself.
  19. Reht The Dude abides...

Doubt that will happen....
    Potawatomi likes this.
  20. Dandin Augur

I kinda giggle that now your asking me to a respectful of you.

You were the one who created a level one ROG on my server, consistently and relentlessly sent me tells, threatened blackmail on my guild forums. And followed me around in zones. Attempting to get me to participate in a video YOU suggested, due to the fact that YOU felt threatened by me. And once the potential reproach of your actions reached you, you then come here, and ask me not to post on your threads, given that the information provided is inaccurate, to say it nicely.

You where brash, threatening and all around cross when I provided alternate methods to doing what you had suggested, and got irritated that I pointed out a single flaw in the tactic.

You followed me to my server, harassed me, my family and my guild.

Feel free to ask Horselord, Or anyone who was in general chat on Bristlebane about Debunker. The level one ROG. Or you can ask Siouxe about viziers thread. I'm sure she would dig it out for you..

Then after all that, You.. Ask me.. To not post on your threads, which are basic tactics that aren't being flushed out or explained

I find that funny vizier ..

Tell you what. You apologize for your conduct towards me, my family, and my guild. I won't correct your posts anymore
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.