Oakwynd Feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Stagentti Augur

That is a comment from her which would support saying expac launch is about the same as TLP launch.

Nothing to support they make more off TLPs.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Crabman Augur

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/704467915?collection=PPnhu9f-Fhab2A

Here is a link to the video, twitch just says 3 years ago, I dont know how to see the exact date of the video.
    Time: 1:16:30
    Alovingrobot: what is more popular currently everquest live or eq tlp and which one generates more revenue?
    Jchan: well Holly let the cat out of the bag there.
    Alovingrobot: what was it again?
    Jchan: what she said was that tlps generate about half the revenue. but it also depends on fudging numbers like well, who actually bought this item? was it a tlp player? a live player? are they a blend? and thats where the numbers get real fuzzy.

Through posting this I also learned I would be a terrible court stenographer and you should probably go watch this yourself.

She also talks about the idea for eq 3 is never closed, changes to classic are on the table, and that shes always in kelethin rerolling alts on tlps. Lots of interesting albeit a little dated stuff now.
  3. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Thanks for the link Crab! Yeah that's what I recalled. I was extrapolating that if TLP is half the revenue, and (we assume) way less than half the budget, as they don't have to actually make anything new. It's all, or near all profit, so it is, by my estimation, more profitable than live.
  4. Captain Video Augur

Why are you assuming it's less than half the budget? Mischief has taken significant development time. Vaniki has taken significant development time, regardless of whether or not it was your thing. You can be sure that whatever is coming next has taken some significant development time. Every AoC in the game took development time charged to the TLP budget. All of the pickzone logic, which has been retuned multiple times, is development work charged to the TLP budget. And let's not forget the myriad of tweaks here and there to address epic bottlenecks, flagging issues, and etc etc. Those aren't quick one-line code changes, there is development cost. The servers themselves cost money which is part of the TLP budget. Live hasn't had a new server in over 10 years.

It's convenient for TLP grognards to think they're carrying the company, but there is no empirical evidence to back up that claim.
    Appren, code-zero and Yinla like this.
  5. Triconx Augur

TIL that server infrastructure is free of charge. As is the maintenance of them.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Stagentti Augur

Only part of your comment that matters.
  7. Zansobar Augur

Actually that revenue would exist because all they have to do is offer bags for the expansion price and they would still get the sale. I buy the new expansion solely for the bags for use on TLP. I will never set foot in Live again. DPG is just really bad at business as they invest 90% of their resources on work that generates them probably less than 50% of their revenues.
  8. Zansobar Augur

It does if by "make" you mean profit since they spend almost no money on the TLPs each year instead spending most of the year working on the new expansion for Live.
  9. Zansobar Augur

You're joking right? You think tweaking loot tables takes as much money as what they spend on each yearly expansion?
  10. Stagentti Augur

People in this thread really love making stuff up.
  11. Stagentti Augur

They spend almost no money on TLPs? Lol.
  12. Tyranthraxus Grognard

To give Triconix a point, they do spend just as much keeping the server lights on per TLP server as they do Live. It's development time they don't have to split nearly as evenly. Maybe they chose to spend a bit more in the last couple TLP experiments.

What I'm nervous about is the next "experiment" given the changes they already made in EQ2. A rehaul of loot to include more pay to win gambling aspects would have a massive negative effect on both TLP and Live.
    Barton likes this.
  13. Vindar Augur

Well in the minds of a recycler, a TLP is basically classic to PoP, and maybe even classic to Velious for some. But every single TLP right now besides Yelinak is beyond that point, and they all have active players. So despite them not being officially live, they are well into the modern era of EQ.

Let's face it, beyond the nostalgia, classic gameplay is garbage. Terrible class balance, terrible itemization, boring raids.
    Appren and code-zero like this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

This is what I'm fearful about as well...that they're gonna introduce some sort of personal loot system that will evolve into a full blown PTW system. What they just did with EQ2 is disgusting.

And I don't for one moment think they're gonna just "try it out" on a TLP server and listen to feedback before deciding to put it on Live. I think whatever they're planning, they've already made up their minds to put it on Live servers as well, whether players hate it or not. The fact that they're teasing it tells me it's already set in stone.
    Barton likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am sure that is factored into those statements but it isn't true that almost no work goes into the servers as can be seen by some of the more recent ones. Not to mention as I said in another post you also have to factor in the part of the population that plays on both types of servers.
  16. Aiona Augur

All spells and abilities will be automatically learned for all classes as they level up.
    Magneress likes this.
  17. Barton The Mischievous

I don't think it is set in stone, but I do think what we are going to get is some "test" of a new monetization system. I am not sure if they can pull off personal loot in eq like they did in eq2, but something that makes them more money off TLP and maybe later Live.
    I hope it is not true.
  18. Gemstoner Elder

Yeah its something along the EQ2 changes lines:

• personal loot with associated refresh unlocks sold in the store
    • lockout unlocks for raids sold in the store
    • maybe a "heroic" AOC for dungeons that doesn't spawn a raid target or have respawns but has a high chance to spawn rare named, it has lockouts but you can buy an unlock in the store
    I'm not even really against any of those things.
  19. IlllIllIllIlll Journeyman

I don't know if this rises to the level of being a "ruleset", but I've always wanted them to change ZEMs to be dynamic. The more mobs that are killed in a zone relative to others in the same level range, the lower the ZEM goes.

This would have the added bonus of ruining the day for paid boosters who just setup camp in one spot all expansion long.
  20. Aiona Augur

My family (my husband and cat) talked about this and we're not against these things, either.

However, something like this would seem very out of place on a TLP. It doesn't feel at all "EverQuest-y." It would feel like the Neverwinter team took over and added gatcha boxes.

I do understand that this TLP may be intended as an "experimental server" or TLP with experimental features; and if that is how it is announced, as an experimental experience, than I am fine with that too. I still feel it will be out of place on an early TLP. I am not against it though.