Champion's Oath/Reavers Bargin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ozon, Apr 10, 2024.

1. alanus Augur

It'll probably be very little difference with 3+ mobs since the rune won't last long.

I just parsed raid trash:
    Champion's Oath not on (spamming gird + Mantle + Penitence up):
    A bumbling bixie in 194s, 5.59M Tanked @28.80K, 1. Alanus = 5.59M
    Avg hit: 32864
    Max hit: 61635

Champion's Oath on (spamming gird + Mantle + Penitence up except for the end)
    A bumbling bixie in 216s, 6.36M Tanked @29.45K, 1. Alanus = 6.36M
    Avg hit: 30730
    Max hit: 65487

No idea why the max hit is so different

I let CO run until it faded, so there was no mitigation disc up for the last 25 seconds or so (except gird). Seems like an okay ability to pair with a mitigation disc, but again I will need to test on actual raid event stuff
  2. Allayna Augur

No one gonna talk about the 20 min reuse? For groups that's terrible, for raids that's every other event.

IF it were worth using for the SPA 451 benefits it would be on too long of a cool down imo.

A reactive type rune/heal once every 18s is a ghetto promised.
  3. Darkhain Elder

Not sure what you're even trying to talk about, but once again an ability that ONLY trigger each 18s for only 100k absorb for a huge amount of mana, can only be trash in raid.
    And group content wise, you don't need anything, as it's a walking in the park.
  4. alanus Augur

I don't think it's the greatest thing ever and would certainly use revered guardian over it, but so far it doesn't seem that bad. I almost never run below 95% mana during an event and can't recall my endurance ever being low, either (except after deaths of course).

That being said, I will need to try it out on an actual raid where I am tanking to really see how good it is. From my preliminary testing, I would absolutely pair it up with one of our mitigation discs and make sure our mitigation spells (petition + protective) are on so the mitigation proc lasts longer. I mean, you should be doing that anyway but especially with CO up
  5. Darkhain Elder

If you're constantly over 95% of mana, you're doing something wrong. Aka spam rotation, use splash when needed.
    fransisco likes this.
  6. alanus Augur

I do. I am always casting aggro stuff when tanking and always heals, especially splashes (with twincast). Paladin spells really don't take much mana

Our spells are <4.5k mana each, which is 1% of my mana (450kish mana). I regen mana as fast as I use it and don't see how a paladin can run OOM without dying or there being a mana drain AE. I just went into the guild hall and spammed crushes + bursts + splash/twin cast + valiant and other spells and I never dropped below 96%. That was literally doing nothing but casting between melee swings, either. Maybe if I had kept it up for an hour I'd have run below 90%, but no events last an hour
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you're under 95% mana on a raid without 1) dying, or 2) mana drain effects, you are doing something wrong as a paladin.

It is basically impossible to burn mana fast enough to outspend raid mana regen. I mean, on a "long" event with constant healing (doing an achievement usually) I don't recall dropping below like 80% unless something drains mana.

Group content is a different thing.
    Maedhros and alanus like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

Mana can be burned chaining Chastise+Upbraid+spell , adds like 8k-10k mana spent to each rotation over Crush+Valiant+Honor. Having spell bar room or even the inclination to cast those isn't universal, but that's how you'd spend mana.

If there were a Cascading and Soul Flay sort of group heal and group +mana procs attached to paladin dmg+healing chainable spell like there is attached to the shadowknight ones, then they'd probably feature more highly!
  9. alanus Augur

Even then I am not so sure with the cooldowns. Upbraid is only 3400 mana and Chastise is only 4500 mana. I rarely use either on raids, too, due to spell slots being full (like you said)
  10. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Spells that literally zero paladins ever should be using.
  11. Maedhros High King

I think whats most concerning to me is that when I saw the original post Ganzito made in 2022 I thought he was talking about a tuning up pass on RB and then aligning the CO in a similar power tier.
    So if what Ganzito meant was that several years ago RB was deemed to be too powerful, is he talking about 2016 or something? RB was stagnated for years and now this nerf makes it pathetic.

I think both knight classes like the idea of using our mana to provide some kind of passive mitigation since neither class burns mana at any significant rate at all. We had a fairly big discussion about the tuning of the numbers in the CRC and I hope that each ability arrives at a point that they could at least last the intended duration of the ability while providing some tangible reason to even use them.
    They shouldnt be stupid overpowered or anything like Glyph of Dragonscales, but they should be at the very least slightly impactful.
  12. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I also thought Ganzito was implying good changes, instead of nerfs. Apparently the dev team forgot that we're not in TBM anymore.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  13. Szilent Augur

lol, y'all are weird. "this AA was flagged for a balance pass… it ha(s) perhaps too much reward and not enough risk" implies pretty clear intentions. This is right in line with "but you were destined to bring balance to the Force!" levels of misunderstanding.
  14. Cadira Augur

True, but rb went from a zero risk near zero reward to a zero risk zero reward ability.

Lower lvl ranks might be appropriate for their era but the current max lvl rank is hilarious. 22k hit threshold to 32k in 20 lvls worth of damage increases? Did ganzito even compare how hard mobs hit in tbm vs ls?
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Personally, I assumed the "too much reward and not enough risk" was from closer to when it was introduced, as opposed to being viewed from a current content lens.

Obviously, in hindsight, an incorrect assumption on my part.
    Maedhros likes this.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

This. Pretty darn clear what they meant. They thought it was too good, hence didn't upgrade it or give us a version. So they eventually nerfed it and that's when we received a version.

This is why I said they pretty clearly stated it was going to be nerfed, no other way to read that unless you are deluding yourself.
    Szilent likes this.
  17. Galvanize Lorekeeper

The implication was to give the AA line identity as a situational powerful cooldown that could have a steep downside or cost a lot of resources, or at least have a niche use-case. Instead it's spend 90 aas to have 1/3rd the mitigation with no other changes.

Ironically paladins still got the worse AA line and are less vocal about it
  18. Warpeace Augur

How vocal can you get when they don't listen? Might have been a decent AA if Dragon Glyph didn't exist.
  19. Zeelot Elder

For those interested, Reaver's Bargain lasted me about 9 seconds for raid content.
    [Mon Apr 22 09:55:23 2024] You make a dark bargain.
    [Mon Apr 22 09:55:32 2024] Your bargain ends.
  20. Galvanize Lorekeeper

Out of curiosity my guesstimate was around 20s or so. Did you have it running with Mantle/Kang/Guardian? I'm betting that's the play to artificially extend its duration another 10s or so (Not that it's good...just...less bad)
    alanus likes this.