Champion's Oath/Reavers Bargin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ozon, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's designed that way to mirror the Reaver's Bargain design. Whether or not that is good design is a different question. Being a "Bargain" and an "Oath", that design makes sense in lore. From a gameplay perspective, I'd say it's not a very engaging or fun design. The abilities already end early, in various ways, so adding yet another way for them to be canceled (and an additional punishment on top of that) seems overkill.
  2. Krazzi Elder

Reaver's Bargain used to say, you had to have over 20% to click it, and if your end or mana got below 10% it would cut off. Now, they changed that wording and it says it cuts off if you get below 20%. I see for Champion's Oath it says "cast oathbreaker's penance when mana or end is below 20%" in one spot, but the in game description says 10%. Copy and paste fail??

Can only be activated if you are above 20% mana and endurance, and cannot be ended early, but will trigger *#5%N should your mana or endurance drop below 10%, which ends the oath and drains your remaining mana and endurance.
  3. Szilent Augur

it has a pretty high cost, but it is manifestly not designed to completely empty mana & endurance.

the cost for a full run is 755/sec * 210s = 158,550 endurance and

27180/proc * 11 procs = 298,980 mana

High cost, yes. But you only get the additional -100k/-100k if one of those resources gets to 10% while it's still on. So not something to use right after a res? If anyone was thinking that? I don't think anyone was thinking that.
  4. Darkhain Elder

A 100k absorb + 66k each 18s is not gonna save you anytime in raid. Now you count in the cost of it, not worth using ever.
  5. fransisco Augur

You are assuming it is only used by someone who happens to be full mana and full endurance.
  6. Szilent Augur

I am assuming that someone using the ability has the resources to use that ability, yes.
  7. fransisco Augur

Which is incredibly punishing - to use this underpowered tanking ability, you must be full mana/endurance.
  8. Szilent Augur

How much mana/endurance do you have, francisco?
  9. fransisco Augur

Not in raid gear, I'm thinking of this from a group tank's perspective where you are rarely sitting around at fm/fe
  10. NatazzEvoli Elder

We'll see how it is in live. Worst case scenario is that it's bad, and we ask for a rework to something that was developed/"tuned" as an afterthought.
  11. Krazzi Elder

At least for Champion's Oath it doesnt get worse as you level it up. After the change to Reaver's Bargain, rank IV it says "protects against 75% of incoming melee damage that exceeds 28,000 damage" and rank V says "protects against 75% of incoming melee damage that exceeds 30,000 damage", so it gets worse as you level it??? wth
  12. Szilent Augur

no a higher threshold is a good buff, and it would be a better buff to have it way higher than even that
  13. Krazzi Elder

why would you want to take more damage per hit? It's damage over 28000, 75% of that is absorbed, so 100k hit would turn into 44,750 (that's with the 5k that mana absorbs first), and a threshold of 32000 (at rank VI) a 100k hit would be 47750. So by having rank VI instead of rank IV you take 3000 more damage. It's like a progressive nerf, more ranks, more nerf.
  14. Took2summmit Elder

you're thinking about it the wrong way. you dont want to waste it on a 28k-32k hit. you want to make sure it's available when that 100k hit comes in. the reason increasing the threshold is better is to ensure you protect against the big 1 shot dmg and not waste it on much smaller hits thst you don't need the protection for anyway.
  15. Cadira Augur

Spa 451 is used to narrow the received damage potential to a much more comfortable level.

If tuned right, it can mitigate high and average hits to safe levels that adequate healing will be able to keep the tank alive from, where as without it (or other mitigation) your survival becomes much more questionable.

If the threshold is too low (like it currently is for sks on raids) it mitigates way more damage than necessary, and eats up the small damage cap (as most 451 abilities have) way way quicker. Higher damage thresholds means you take more damage, but you're still in a comfortable range for healing received vs damage received ratio. It exponentially increases the duration via eating your damage cap slower with a higher threshold.

Right now, reavers is tuned (maybe fairly well?) for group content, but it's og intent was pretty much exclusively for raids in era. It's a weird turn of events imo.
    alanus likes this.
  16. Zeelot Elder

So I tried the new Reaver's Bargain fighting a few blue con group mobs in Timorous Falls. It lasted less than a minute. There's no way this thing is going to last any amount of time on raids. Using it feels even worse than expected.

[Fri Apr 19 11:12:44 2024] You make a dark bargain.
    [Fri Apr 19 11:13:42 2024] Your bargain ends.
    alanus and Cadira like this.
  17. alanus Augur

I went back and tested Champion's Oath on a puma in pallomen again, this time with my regular setup.

It took 42% of my endurance and 76% of my mana. I also used Fervent Penitence and Mantle discs. I also was spamming gird and making sure petition + protective acceptance were up. Obviously the discs ate up some of my endurance, too. This time the proc stayed up for most of the fight and I noticed a pretty big help with mitigation. So I take back some of what I previous said about it because it did help in this fight. I also had 2her up because otherwise the fight would've lasted an hour

A puma in 242s, 4.27M Tanked @17.64K, 1. Alanus = 4.27M
    Average hit was 20,723

However, I will need to test it on raids next week to really test it.
    Szilent likes this.
  18. fransisco Augur

The fact that it took almost half your endurance and 3/4 of your mana to fight a normal mob means its totally worthless in the group game
    Allayna and Velisaris_MS like this.
  19. Szilent Augur

It takes half her endurance and 3/4 of her mana *no matter what*. That's just the plain cost. That she happened to push the button in combat with a single blue con mob doesn't change anything about the ability. If you click Dragon Glyph while you're fighting a Crushbone Orc, Dragon Glyph still costs 45 AA. Pushing the Champion's Oath button costs 160k end & 300k mana. It didn't take that much "to fight a normal mob" - unless she was unable to fight that LS basepop mob without hitting Oath. I think she could have. She thinks she could have, it just would have taken either some more time or some more other healing. It's not hard to envision situations, though, where those other efforts with spells & discs would have been close to maxing out. They're the ones with risk of character death. Those are the situations where a new tanking ability that stacks with the old tanking abilities (potentially) shines.
    alanus likes this.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Testing it against a single mob doesn't really prove anything. Did you try it with 3+ mobs on you?