Mental One Shots

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by PortgasD, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MentosTroll Loyal Player

So you're saying we can only activate once we get a READ on our opponent? You mean, we can't just pop resonance without any thought behind it?
  2. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

You can hit Resonance whenever your heart desires, you just risk being interrupted if it's not during counter immunity.
  3. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Not really. You can use it long before a battle. It lasts for a surprising amount of time.
  4. Mighty Committed Player

Counter immunity is where you block a lunge or a melee combo finisher from either a player or a humanoid NPC, or block break one of those characters, or interrupt their block breaks or channeled attacks with a lunge or a melee combo finisher. When done successfully the countered character will be "hard stunned" and fall down and slowly get up regardless of if they hit breakout or not (unless they have a breakout trinket or usable while controlled standup). The player doing the counter gets blue flashing counter immunity in which they are immune to control effects, damage (up to a portion of their health), and cannot be countered themselves or give counter immunity away for a portion of (Enq knows it off hand, I think it's like 2 or 2.5 seconds).

So the way to cover your resonance is to engage your opponent, farm a counter by baiting a mistake, then pop resonance and jump into the AM. The mental player off the counter will get a couple thousand damage apiece off their three resonance amplifiers, and then either one-shot or nearly one-shot the countered player for the rest of their health with a mass terror - even if the mental player gets lunged and countered himself during mass terror.

Full disclosure, I love mental. I always have. It was my first power. I played it for two years. I first started PvP as mental and actually didn't feel comfortable pvping with anything but mental for a long time. I recently switched back to mental the other day as we're trying for some of the difficult feats in Elite HH and we need good burn. While I'm not crazy about 1-2-3-kaboom DPS, that's the paradigm we have. And if it had to be a power, I'm glad it's mental. I'm having fun with it, and I'll probably stay mental until they give HL a bit better boost in PVE (not much, just more mid- and melee-range AOE).

That said, as a devout mental lover, for whatever that's worth, I think this (and many other AM's) are just stupid broken and are ruining arenas and tarnishing what was a promising season of PvP and overshadowing the phenomenal job Dev Dirt has and is doing with combat responsiveness. Some folks will disagree with me, but I think of all the awful stupidness of AMs in arenas, this one is the worst. You can basically one-shot two people at once off a counter. I was doing it last night. Besides a match where I was lagging out and standing still for a solid minute, I won every fight and they were never close. And that's with precision-modded PvP gear. It's basically Shazam's SC for arenas - but instead of being a super, you can use it every four seconds.
    • Like x 4
  5. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

Has it been toned down yet?

Mass Terror and Mass Lev were hitting twice giving inflated dps.
  6. Mighty Committed Player

It's like six seconds. Batcaves run to your barrel, pop res, grab and throw barrel at opponent, start resonance amplification while jumping in. If you play it right there's really just one vulnerability the opponent really ever sees.
  7. Sabigya Steadfast Player

and that one vulnerability window he sees will be after he gets one shotted :p
    • Like x 3
  8. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

Yeah, I know. I didn't feel like going into detail about all the options. I used to do the same when I was Gadgets. I'd pop Battle Display before I got to my opponent so he couldn't interrupt me.
  9. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Which is why I disagree with people saying that we can JUST start the AM, whenever. We can't. Like I've said before, when I don't kill a Rage/HL/Ice player with 1 AM cycle, I'm dead by the time I stand up, so I really don't see why mental as being seen as the top power in PvP right now, when a lot of powers can kill their opponents just as fast or faster.
    • Like x 1
  10. Sabigya Steadfast Player

The problem is not with Mental's being able to kill fast. Its the ability to one shot.
    There is literally no other PvP power that can one shot an enemy.
    • Like x 2
  11. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Don't think of it as a 1 shot. Think of it as a "4 second shot" because that's how long it takes to charge up for that.
  12. Sabigya Steadfast Player

If something deals 26k damage to something with 23k its a one shot. No matter how you spin it.

Someone should rename a sucker punch to "3 second punch" because of how long it takes up to charge it.
  13. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Also can we stop implying that Mass Terror hits for 26k, 100% of the time? It hits usually around 12-18k.
    Again, if I don't kill them with 1 AM rotation, I'm dead before I stand up.
  14. Sabigya Steadfast Player

At what point did I imply that Mass Terror hits for 26k 100% of the time?
    12k is what you hit for at level 17. It hits around 16-20k on average.
  15. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

This blatant nerf thread is still going on? Let's throw the rest in the mix while we're at it. Nature is ridiculous in both roles, rage, hl, celestial, and ice can drop people as fast as mental.

It's probably best to see what season 4 has in store, we're closer to a new season than we are to having powers adjusted again for this season.
    • Like x 1
  16. Sabigya Steadfast Player

If you got anything to defend Mental other then your own blatant personal bias that would be great too.
    • Like x 1
  17. MentosTroll Loyal Player

18. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Using Red Herring is not a proper justification for any argument.
    This thread was created to address Mental's abiltity to one shot, tossing in scapegoats does not automatically make Mental balanced.
    • Like x 2
  19. Trinidad James Loyal Player

As a Qanutum player I want to one shot too, Mental is a free to play power while mine is a pay one. How come I my power set AM sucks in PvP? Totally not fair.
  20. MentosTroll Loyal Player

This thread is a blatant nerf thread...has there been one legit suggestion to fix this "problem" so far?
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.