Can anyone explain server latency?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Warperman, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Warperman

I understand the process of network ping but, for server latency it's completely confusing for me.
    In my simple mind, my thinking process would be that if the server latency is high, then it's the server's fault. But it seems most of the time, I'm the only one with a bad server latency while everyone else is fine, by I mean bad is 10k plus ms.

I'm from SEA and plays in EU server, and I play with a stable average of 170 ms and it's pretty good so far. But lately there seems to be so much server latency spike that it's also affecting the network ping.
    I just wanna enjoy some good battles here and there, but with these condition, I might as well go and play PUBG and stop PS2 for good, anyone can give me more understanding to server latency?
  2. Cymric

I play from SEA too and have a NC on the EU server. From 2015-2016 I had no problem with server latency, but when I came back to the game in May 2017, I had been having latency spikes up to 10k+ when dropping into big battles of 96+ vs 96+. This lead me to believe that the server latency is affected by the amount of data the server is sending to you. If the server need to send a huge amount of data, for example when loading into a big battle and some node from the server to you can't handle the amount, you will get huge server latency.

Since that you are from SEA, you might want to try the Briggs server and see if it works better for you. Your ping should be better and since that there are less ppl on Briggs, you shouldn't get those big battles that overwhelm your connection. The downside is that Briggs has low pop outside its prime time.

Edit: I had been using a ping reducer call Pingzapper and using it to connect to the south asia node before playing on Miller. It greatly reduce the occurrence of server latency for me. Might want to try it out and see if it solves your problem.
  3. Eternaloptimist

AFAIK latency is the time taken for a server to receive and respond to a message from another server.......a transmission delay. If I have remembered that correctly it is likely to be caused in large part by quality of, or interruptions/interference in, connections.
    • Up x 1
  4. Movoza

This will help a lot I think.
  5. adamts01

Server latency has to do with your connection keeping up with all the data. I've got two computers running Planetside sometimes and I've had to limit network speeds on them to keep one or the other from hogging data. Try using "network limiter". It's free and it lets you block certain apps from using up all your bandwidth. I'm running Windows 10 and sometimes my connection goes to hell and it's because some crap I can't disable is running in the back. Your router might be able to limit speeds on other devices as well. I'll limit my girl's phone to 1/2 Mbps while I'm gaming so she doesn't wreck everything from watching music videos on high definition. Anyway, I've found that you need at least .7 Mbps down and .2 Mbps up to keep from having any issues in big fights. Good luck.
  6. Warperman

Thank you everyone for a solution, I'll see what I can do. Yesterday oddly enough I didn't get high server latency from +96 battles, either it's just my lucky day or the problem solved itself.

I'm definitely not coming to Briggs server, because my highest char is in there and for somewhat reason EU has 180ms and AU has 250+ms lol
    I'll check out Pingzapper as well, who knows it might make me even fiercer