Shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RD1349, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RD1349

Personally I think that the shotguns for the NC MAXs are fine but the infantry shotguns I've sampled them all and I can not get a single kill with them. Please give me some tips or ask SOE about it (if anyone says you need to be in close quarters lets say a Bio Lab like I've been trying all this time, then thats just unproductive.
  2. Benton!

Shotguns have a max range of about 15-20m without slugs...
  3. hostilechild

I use them on all my classes now. Personally thing the infantry shotgun is a little OP with the light assault, flying around 2shotting everyone. Use it all the time on towers and other places suited for good up/down hiding and weaving yet still close quarters.
    I do find it can be buggy and you will shoot max COF even at CQC, rarely thank god and if get too close shoot through them.
    2-15m love the piston/sweeper (at 20m it takes a full mag to kill and they don't always die).
  4. Dubious

Wait for SMG, cause I bet they will be OP and therefor better than shotguns
    • Up x 1
  5. Krugus

I use the Nighthawk (TR auto shot gun) but I only use it when I'm playing Light Assault. Light Assault is great for getting in close and cap'n someone in the back of the head with the auto shotty :) The key is not to get too excited and run the mag dry, which is easy to do with a shot gun that only has 6 rounds (well mine has 10 since I upgraded the mag on it).
  6. Vortok

Shotguns are about moving around the map in a way that mitigates the number of long range engagements and ensure as many enemy engagements as possible are within your effective range.
  7. RD1349

K thanks guys I'll take the tips but still they are a little underpowered for anyclass besides light assault by what I'm seeing.
  8. Benton!

Nah, they are just very situational.
  9. The Shermanator

Shotguns are hit and miss. Sometimes they treat you real well, sometimes you'll put all eight of your rounds in someone and they'll just gun you down. The spread on them is just cartoony. There's a myth that the laser rail attachment will tighten the spread. It does not.
  10. klor

Light assault can obviously use shotguns to their highest potential but they are good for every class. I leveled the ammo belt to max on my medic for the sole purpose of using a shotgun. They are very situational, here's a few suggestions...

Unlock the extended clip
    Never aim down sights
    Dont stop moving in a fight, you can also get away with jumping
    Get as close as you can before firing
    Corners make for good engagement spots
    Wait for recoil to settle between shots or compensate for it

11. Karragos

Have the discipline to hold your fire until you get close enough. If you are right beside them, two hits usually does the trick.
  12. Hodo

Please, I use the shotty on my HA, Engineer, and my LA.

It is my most used weapon right behind my Trac-5AMC.
  13. AngryPlayer

If you're strafing to the right, your pellets will spred to the lower left of your aiming recticle and vice versa the other way
  14. Phaze

Jackhammer is the worst shotgun... kind of sucks.
  15. Saool

Not a lot too add that other have not said. I use the Thanatos Shotgun on all classes (bar Infiltrator of course). I switched to it as I don't have great eye hand co-ordination and that kind of sucks in an FPS. Up close the shotgun is bloody lethal you can just mow people down. However the flip side is outside of spitting distance you are dead just about every time.

I tend to play a lot of heavy Assault these days and I have to say I'm considering going back to the LMG as my aim has improved a great deal just through practice. That or try slugs. Still, it's a solid buy as long as you accept that it is massively range dependent.
  16. Lovecraft

I use the NC Sweeper for all my chars... Engi, Hvy, & LA ... although sometimes with the LA I'll switch out to the ACsomething11 if I wanna actually do some Aiming :)

Typically I find my engagement sweetspot around 20' ... calm, consistent fire between 1-2 rnds/second... Extended Magazine is a must... Reload after every engagement.
  17. Cirevam

Really? I'll need to remember this. And yes, shotguns are very situational but they can be versatile. Buckshot for short range (biolabs), slugs for medium range. Slugs have too much bullet drop to be used past 50m effectively. I've made a few lucky shots and have the 2x reflex on my Sweeper but it's not a sniper rifle.

What I find hilarious is that the slugs can be wildly inaccurate when firing from the hip, but when aiming down the sights they're perfectly accurate. Sometimes I use slugs indoors and try to quickly aim-and-shoot but I tend to get shot up with automatics when I try that.
  18. MilitiaMan

JH is the worst gun period. It is just gawd awful.
  19. footjam

I use the pandora ( auto-shotgun) with IR scope, forward grip and a slugs and I absolutely crush people. It is accurate enough to snipe at decent range and absolutely beast <20m. It is my favorite gun and I roll 15+ kill streaks with it constantly. Ammo is the crutch so I only use it on an engy where I can throw down an ammo pack while running around a base clearing it of the TRash.

also <3 the lack of bullet drop on the VS Slugs ;)
  20. Wily

With pellets, it's all about closing range. Slugs are positively horrible at close range, but they're a 3 hit kill at long range. If you can find the right fight, both work well in their role. The problem is, they are both absolutely crap outside of their role, where another weapon is still at least somewhat useful most of the time.