Don't expect server merges soon.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bluEyedillusions, Jan 10, 2013.

1. bluEyedillusions

I'm not sure the average player realizes how bad of publicity server merges are.

As soon as SOE merges servers, PC Gamer, IGN, Kotaku, and all the other major gaming sites will have the headline "Planetside 2 merging servers".

Do you know what that does to people's opinion of a game? Especially one that's only been out a month? Planetside would quickly become a joke in the eyes of people who browse those kinds of sites, but have not played the game yet. "Oh... wow... I was going to check it out, but apparently they had to merge servers already. Must be failing."

Sony will do everything in their power to boost numbers or allow players to migrate from server to server, before they actually buckle and merge servers.

Right now, I would venture a guess and say that they're definitely waiting to see how many new players join up due to the publicity of the Jan 24th Ultimate Showdown event and the January 30th "Jesus Patch".

I don't work for them; I'm speaking only out of common sense.
  2. SenorBeef

Well, they can either merge the servers and maybe have the *appearance* of failure, or they can keep going the current course and have actual failure.

What they should just do is say that our server code has improved with this new patch and now we can handle more simultaneous players more efficiently blah blah so we're putting more people on the same game world. Turn it into a win.
    • Up x 1
  3. bluEyedillusions

We don't know that... don't be a sensationalist. Ya sound worse than Fox news.

We, like SOE, have to see how much population numbers rise due to the event and the patch.
  4. PharmD

I'm playing on Mattherson right now and it's on LOW along with every other server. This is getting to be ridiculous. So you essentially cannot play the game unless it's during prime time hours.
  5. Koruption

This is cute. Little kids pretending to know whats going on....

This isnt about appearances, its about server farm contracts. Do you people have any idea how the real world works?
  6. PharmD

No, please enlighten us.
    • Up x 1
  7. Koruption

When an MMO is being built, they have lease a TON of hardware. In order to get a break on prices, the publisher will sign a short to mid term contract ensuring that they will leas X amount of servers for X amount of Months. It makes no sense for Sony to have already commited to these servers, pay for them, and not have them available for play. Server mergers will not happen until their contract run out at the earliest.
  8. quicKsanD

If they don't merge the servers all US West players transfer to Connery!
  9. Koruption

I play NC on helios and were always around 34%-37% of the pop. NC should go xfer there if they want to fight on even ground with the VS
  10. Koruption

lol so many people who obviously never worked in or around the industry but try to come off as if they do.
  11. illgot

it gets real boring only finding half decent fights for about an hour during prime time.

The rest is just running around base trading.
  12. IceJudge

So much smug in this thread D:

But yeah I'd rather SoE just own up and merge the servers. No need to bullpoop the public. It has been pretty painful to play lately with the dwindling numbers, excessively grindy progression system, and excessive vehicles. Still hoping PS2 can be saved before it becomes a ghost town. In it's current state I've gone from playing 4-5 hours a day to only logging in to collect the 17 free certs. :\ Maybe playing 40 minutes or so.
  13. PharmD

I honestly doubt what you are saying is true. Just because Sony leases say, 30 servers doesn't mean they have to use every single one. And how do you know they don't use in-house hardware? And you're also saying that they aren't capable of merging servers because they are on a so-called lease which requires them to keep every single server they have up and running for the public. Again, this make no sense.
    • Up x 1
  14. illgot

Every game since World of Warcraft has had to merge servers soon after release. Merging servers should no longer be a stigma that a game is failing.
  15. Bill Hicks

i wouldnt worry about the type of person who reads Kotaku. If they read kotaku then they are probably not the type to care if there are server mergers. They know that it means the developer has the balls to fix a problem
  16. MiZrY

You are correct Sir. Just because they have a lease on servers does not mean they need to use them all. In fact, regardless of if they are leasing them or not, there are servers not being used for various reasons such as backups ect.

Insulting people, and acting like you know what you are talking about..... there's only one kid in this thread.