The Geezers

Discussion in 'Waterson (US East)' started by Stunod, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Stunod

[IMG]

The Geezers [GZR]

EMPIRE
    Vanu Sovereignty

SERVER
    Waterson

PLAY STYLE
    Our primary focus is supporting the VS as engineers, with an emphasis on tactics and combat using magriders and lightnings. Secondarily, we operate as a mobile AA team using MAXs with dual bursters.

OVERVIEW
    The Geezers [GZR] can best be described as an informal and small group of older gamers who strive for success in their game play, but prefer a good laugh in the process. Our origins trace back to Bad Company 2 as part of the Over Forty Clan (OFC), and most recently in Battlefield 3 and DayZ.

We consider ourselves formidable tankers at our core. However, in a moment's notice, we can re-deploy into a mobile AA team to combat those birds of prey that wreak havoc. You can also find us in the skies in our fully outfitted Liberator and floating around bases primarily as light assaults when infantry is required. If I had to break down our gameplay, I would estimate we are in vehicles 50% of the time, with 50% as MAXs or other infantry roles on the ground as the need arises.

As a small outfit, our primary goal is to support larger VS efforts. As such, we are seeking outfit(s) that recognize the need to coordinate all aspects of the game, including infantry, tanks, and air, and outfit(s) that are interested in the services we have to offer. In the meantime however, we typically run our own squad and set our own objectives, which sometimes includes following the zerk. On occasion, and when the server has a low VS pop, we will join a public platoon.

RECRUITMENT
    Our doors are open for individual players seeking an outfit. We have no age or skill requirement, no minimum play time requirement, and no application process. Our expectations are that you have a similar play style, join us on Teamspeak, have a mic, and can get along with our small group of older gamers who like to succeed and laugh at the same time. If interested, just message me here or in game.
  2. Stunod

OUTFIT UPDATES

January 07, 2013
    While tanking and mobile AA continues to be our core playstyle, we have recently begun to expand our skill set by adding a fully certified Liberator to our services. We devote time to practice flying and gunning, and also started to focus on our infantry game play, with an emphasis on LA, shotguns, and ATVs for transport.
  3. KiddParK

If you tank... and are old... well, not THAT old i suppose, but old enough to know how to play proper, then these are your guys!
  4. Stunod

All of us at the Geezers wish everyone (even those TR and NC) a very merry xmas, happy holidays and a happy new year!
  5. Stunod

In an effort to provide some insight into the Geezers and how we support the VS, I will periodically post a favorite operation or game play we experienced. This content will be referred as "Fiddlesticks", with this segment entitled "Hold the Line". In future segments I hope to provide some video.

FIDDLESTICKS: HOLD THE LINE
    Over the past two weeks, the Geezers have almost exclusively played on Indar and often found ourselves in a defensive mode in an attempt to hold off the TR as they tried to warpgate the VS and take away our continent benefit. As the TR will bring loads of air to battle, we found ourselves putting the tanks aside in favor of anti air measures. There were numerous occassions where we helped to defend a base, but the one that really stuck out was a recent defense of the Crown that occurred this past weekend as the TR marched to our warpgate.

As the TR moved quickly south towards the VS warpgate, and west after conquering most of the NC territories, the Geezers decided to make a stand at the Crown as the surrounding VS territories were flipping for the TR. Another VS force was defending the Rasnu Bio Lab in the east, while most of the VS were focused on the territories near our warpgate as the TR now had control of the map.

We started our defence by deploying a sundy in the ground level of the Crown. Several burster Max's took position on the air docks, while one of us played an engie for repair and ammo support, and another played light assault and position himself on the top of the Crown and guarded against drop pods. Within minutes other VS joined the fray and there was at least a dozen AA Max's on the docks, plenty of engies for support, and a nice force of infantry keeping the enemy ground armor at bay and the bases cleared.

What ensued afterwards was one of those great PS2 moments as the TR came in waves. First was an armor and infantry wave, but then and most impactful to the Geezers on the docks was a wave of drop pods, followed by a wave of birds as the sky filled with enemy galaxies, libs and mosquitos. Was quite a hectic scene to see a bunch of AA Max's running around trying to take out the drop pods that landed on the air docks, but that smash/melee skill is nice in close quarters. There was also verbal coordination with our LA to alert him of enemies on the top of the Crown. Thankfully, we survived to experience the wave of air that occurred minutes later. The call was "there is a few galaxies coming from the north... no wait, about a dozen, no wait... oh my god!" as the enemy air force rendered in the distance. So many explosions while dodging the galaxies crashing to the Crown, and the Lib fire, and shooting down the mosquitos in between.

In the end, all waves were defeated and the Crown was held, as was the Rasnu Bio Lab, and the TR was eventually pushed back to their own warpgate. Way too much fun!
    • Up x 1
  6. Stunod

Just a friendly bump for the old guys, and also a note that the Geezers have begun exploring other aspects of the game. We have a fully outfitted Liberator, and found favor with the LA class and shotguns while riding around on ATV's, LOL. So, don't be surpirsed if you see us outside tanks, in the skies or literally floating around bases as LA. We continue to improve our skill set and expertise so we can supplement other VS forces in whatever role is needed.
  7. Stunod

In our continued effort to provide insight into the Geezers and how we support the VS, we offer the next installment in a series we call Fiddlesticks. This installment is entitled Special Delivery and really highlights what a small force can do to effect the outcome of a battle.

FIDDLESTICKS: SPECIAL DELIVERY
    It is late afternoon as the sun sets over Indar. The VS control the Crown and Ceres Hydroponics, but the TR are pushing south to Hydroponics from the their J908 and Galaxy Solar control points. As the light gives way to the darkness, the TR air force of a dozen mosquitos are engaged above Hydroponics by an equal number of scythes and AA fire from the Crown. Below and on the ground a small number of magriders and prowlers jockey for position as shells are exchanged between the VS armor on the east side of Hydroponics, and the TR who are bringing armor uphill from Galaxy Solar. However, the focus of the battle is really between infantry as about thirty VS fire on several TR sunderers and a greater number of infantry who have taken shelter behind several boulders located north of Hydroponics and half way before the terrain drops off into J908. The battle should favor the VS because of the AA advantage from the Crown, plus the drop-off between the VS and TR tanks makes the push uphill difficult for the TR. But, the battle remains stale-mated because of the TR sunderers and infantry that are providing AA and AT fire of their own, and using cover to keep the VS infantry at bay and their sunderers safe and repaired.

After fifteen minutes of defending Hydroponics, it becomes apparent that the key to victory is to eliminate the TR sunderers and the source of their infantry spawn and AA and AT fire. The plan is then hatched. While the focus of the battle wages on the east side of the base, the Geezers who had earlier dropped down as light assaults from the Crown to help take Hydroponics, now change class and mount ATVs as engineers with a tank mine loud-out. Under the cover of the night sky, the Geezers take a wide path from the west to approach the TR sunderers and infantry from their flank. A separate ATV is sent for each sunderer, and the numerous explosions from the tank, AA and AT fire muffle the sound of the approaching Geezers and their ATVs. The goal is simple… in succession and a few seconds apart, each ATV will target a separate sunderer, drive right up to one side running over any TR infantry in their path, exit the ATV and drop two tank mines on the sunderer and run to avoid damage from the explosion. Once each sunderer has exploded, the Geezer then fires on the TR infantry still standing with the understanding that this special delivery is a suicide mission.

The TR are caught off guard and the Geezer ATVs are met with minimal fire. Each ATV finds it intended target and within a blink of an eye all TR sunderers and the bulk of their infantry force are eliminated. The VS push north, cleaning up the remaining TR infantry and turn their attention to the TR tanks and mosquitos. Hydroponics is held and the VS mount an offensive to retake Galaxy Solar and J908.
    • Up x 1
  8. Argg

The Geezers are a fun bunch and I enjoy squadding with them on occasion.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stunod

gee·zer

Noun. Slang
    An old person, especially an eccentric old man.

Maybe you’re old like us according to today’s gaming standards (upper 40’s to 60 years), or maybe you’re younger and clearly not a whippersnapper. Maybe your behavior is unconventional at times, like flying your magrider off a high cliff to a safe landing below in order to save travel time and to scare the bejesus out of your pub gunner. And maybe you’re a nice bloke who enjoys a good laugh. If this sounds like you, then surely the Geezers are for you. Don’t delay… join us today!
    • Up x 1
  10. darkcyd

I'll add you guys and hit me up if you see me in game.
  11. sordess

New old friend coming your way. I'll be re-downloading this game over the weekend and will send my request then. Looking forward to be playing back with you guys!

Cheers,
  12. HamOnRye

After a few trial runs I joined the Geezers. I genuinely appreciated the mature group of folks that I have met, who despite their limited numbers are effective at what they do.
  13. SickPuppy

This sounds pretty good... I tried some other outfits and they didn't seem comfortable with an older person (like their parents age). I was thinking about starting my own for older peeps but it looks like you beat me to it.
  14. KiddParK

As a gray hair myself, have to bump the Geezers as they're good friends of ours and get the job done.

and they're even older than me, which is a good thing to have around i have to be honest.

I tend to stay off their lawn!

kp
  15. Jaeger41

The mental image of old guys in tight purple spandex.... :eek:

Seriously, as a , ahem, "mature" player myself, this is almost enough to make me get a VS alt and role with you guys. As is, I'll be looking for you on the battlefield.