IDK, to me the new XP system feels like a nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fastdak255, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Eyeklops

This is a great idea. Then the engineer that follows the Max around will be worth some exp too.
  2. UrMom306

I see what they're doing with the whole dynamic xp thing to try to prevent infantry farming, but to me it seems a little unfair that I get less xp for something the other player failed at. Why should i not get the full 100 for the kill. It was the other players fault that he got killed. I feel like make it so as the player keeps getting killed the xp you get for killing him goes down. But if said player gets a kill it starts over the xp countdown. So for example, your attacking a small outpost, 5 to 6 friendlies and 5 to 6 enemies (a small squad vs small squad)

• You kill said player, and get 100xp.
    • He re-spawns and you meet again and kill him again, you get 90xp (just throwing out a random number).
    • He re-spawns, same thing happens, you kill him again, you get 80xp.
    • He re-spawns, but shoots one of your teammates in the back, then you kill him, you get 100xp.
    (to add to this example, whoever kills you after you killed said player 4 times, would get more than 100xp, cause you got more kills going in one life)

When he killed your teammate, it reset his lowered xp back to normal. Having it that way it prevents from "farming" of said player. The way this game is sometimes in larger battles, you get a couple kills then die, repeat. The kill would reset the xp and would be fair for everyone. Lowering the xp for fresh players out the gate is just lowering the xp for kills, which will make gaining certs slower.

Another point, having xp gain on kills being lower is going to amplify the need to capture bases (cause you get a lot of xp for doing that right?) and what thrives on capturing bases?.....anyone?.......the zerg.
    • Up x 1
  3. Eyeklops

If what you say would be true, then AP tanks will probably replace HE tanks as the staple of the armor column. Infantry everywhere will rejoice over that, trust me.
  4. {joer

I'm pretty sure thats mathematically impossible.
  5. MrQuiet

I shake my, I can't believe how much you people worry about how much expierence you earn. It must be stressful to be so worried about how many points you receive.

In my day the only exp u got from playing a fps was what u literary learned.

Just play the game, the exp piles up naturally.
    • Up x 1
  6. Eric Smith

Perhaps you missed the part about getting XP for doing damage to enemy vehicles?
  7. Zorlox

in a game where you have to farm countless hours to get items you'll never discourage farming. If you don't want farming remove the need to farm, there's no other way and obviously this game wouldn't survive without the need to farm so that's not an option. The only thing that can be done is shift farming to something else, and if kills are no longer the best source of farming you'll see a lot less action which would be horrible for this game. Though I don't mind the shift towards vehicles, they're a lot slower to kill so the rate of certs is going to drop. It's a great way to give people what they want while nerfing cert gain. We'll know when we see it in action but it's definitely a good way to motivate AA at least.
  8. fastdak255

I wouldn't worry so much about how much XP I am in gaining if it didn't directly translate into how many certs I get, which in turn directly translates into the advancement of my character. oh and "in yoru day?" What was "your day?" Back in MY DAY we didn't even have XP in shooters. That nonsense started with CoD/BF. I miss the days of DOOM/Quake/UT when we didn't have to worry about any of the nonsense in today's shooters, it was just all around mindless fun. This is how today's generation are slowly destroying FPSes.

9. Sarrz

um... I'm pretty sure he was eluding to the fact that in "his day" there was no xp in shooters as well.

This line is what leads me to believe that... even though he misspelled literally. You can still make out his point.

Those days CAN still exist. You are the one who chooses what to worry about. If you want things to be like they were in the old days... keep playing that way. Despite the turn games(or is it gamers?) have taken, the choice to play games purely for the sake of enjoyment, is still there. If you are choosing to worry more about advancement and certs over just shooting the crap out of everyone regardless of gain, then you're making your choice.
  10. Xind

When you put it like this it sounds fantastic. I just hope that once a player has had a chance to spawn and returns to combat at full hp/armed, that he won't be worth vastly less than he is now.
  11. fastdak255

Well maybe I misunderstood him. If that's the case I apologize. Still there are too many people my post can be said about.
  12. Mightyhalo

The only people who would consider this change a nerf are those that go out of their way to spawn camp.
    • Up x 1
  13. fastdak255

yup! cause killing all those infantry hoarding into a base that just spawned at one of the many sunderers deployed around the walls is spawn camping (just one example for your attempt at trolling)
  14. nubery

-UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison”
    These two changes contradict each other. It's like saying only players on killstreaks are useful to their team. I am all for this new system, very happy to see it being implemented. It will create huge incentive to shoot down Libs and hunt snipers. I can't stress enough how happy I am to see this type of system. Why should that incentive, that hunt for the huge payoff, die out by being limited to just shutting down people on large kill streaks?

It's plain as day you, the devs, do not view K/D ratio as the only way to make yourself a useful teammate or achieving player. Medics, engineers, the support hulks of the game are the guys keeping those kill streakers alive. Lib pilots make sure those gunners get huge 100-0 kill streaks. just makes sense to me that the vehicle has the most score per minute potential, in the game, also gives the most reward for shooting down if they're succeeding at the role. Medics and engineers are equally important targets as they're the fuel of the assault.

It's plain as day you, the devs, do not view K/D ratio as the only way to make yourself a useful teammate or achieving player. Medics, engineers, the support hulks of the game are the guys keeping those kill streakers alive. Lib pilots make sure those gunners get huge 100-0 kill streaks. just makes sense to me that the vehicle has the most score per minute potential, in the game, also gives the most reward for shooting down if they're succeeding at the role. Medics and engineers are equally important targets as they're the fuel of the assault.

Make the dynamic bonus of XP scale from score per life, instead of kills.

I'm worried about that ratio myself. Anything less than 50, hell 75%, of a standard kill is just too little. Im confident it won't be ridiculous. On top of that the spawn invulnerability is going to be annoying and pointless. Sunderers spawns shouldn't have protection and base spawning is already protected.
  15. Sarrz

I'm not sure I agree with the entirety of his post, but I do think he is right about this.
  16. Morpholine

On the one hand, lowered xp for the freshly spawned is a nerf of spawn camping rewards (that will have little effect on the practice, if at all).

On the other hand, lowered xp for the freshly spawned actively encourages players to lemming out of a spawn, tossing grenades willy-nilly, something that occurs too much already.
  17. Wily

While it may make spawn camping less profitable, I doubt it will have much of an impact because hunting down a few players that have long kill streaks is going to be a lot more time consuming and difficult than mowing down a bunch of new spawns with a vehicle.

Looking at how many kills I get on an average life, I can't really see most people building up many kills per life. I am by no measure a good player, but the fact that I get kills means there are plenty of people that are at my level or worse.

I think that's going to mean on average less xp per kill, with the occasional nice surprise when you get the guy who's been killing a bunch of people or doing a bunch around the base.
  18. Suien Reizo

Kinda seems like the damage is already done. Not sure what the point of the changes are now.
  19. Morpholine

Since there are very few means of eliminating spawns, spawn camping will continue unabated.

We're not going to let them rush out and stop our capture, after all.
  20. Goden

Isn't part of the whole base-takeover mechanic spawncamping?