[Suggestion] Nights

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by schrodingers_cat, Jan 9, 2013.

1. schrodingers_cat

Nights need to be black, not like wearing sunglasses on a rainy day. At night I shouldn't be able to see anything if there is no light source about. Sure at bases have large floodlights etc to light up the surrounding area but there should be dark areas and in between bases i shouldnt be able to see the edge of the cliff im about to run over.
    On a related note, spotting should be disabled at night. As a sniper, I know where to aim in relation to the dorito to score a headshot which I shouldn't be able to do in the dark.
    Any comments, arguments or counter-arguments are more than welcome.
  2. The King

Turn your brightness and gamma down very low so you are not able to see them.
    Also, ignore the moon.
  3. amega

Glowing yellow NC SNIPERS :p Glowing yellow NC SNIPERS :p
  4. SGTalon

Obviously a sniper.

Bad idea on about 100 levels. Lets make it so people really don't want to play PS2.
  5. jelf

I think at one point during beta the nights were actually nights and dark. The flashlight actually had some use at that time.

But some people say you could just set the brightness all the way up in your monitor or windows(if it's locked in game) and negate the whole darkness thing and gain an advantage over those players who didn't want to turn the brightness up(like in DayZ).

So in the end they just make the nights bright and removed the whole tactical layer of it to make sure everyone is on the same level.

I personally love dark nights though and have turn the brightness in game to almost the lowest. It might make me slightly disadvantaged at nights but it's a lot more immersive and enjoyable.
  6. schrodingers_cat

i was in beta and the nights were as dark as im describing
    and if i do turn down the brightness but then the days look weird
  7. KraggTheGrim

Maybe they should have a Monthly moon cycle, as well as weather patterns which could block out the moon light at random.
    • Up x 3
  8. schrodingers_cat

how is it bad? give me a good objective argument on how its a bad idea
  9. schrodingers_cat

"Maybe they should have a Monthly moon cycle, as well as weather patterns which could block out the moon light at random"
    see this a good way to do things to appeal to different people while introducing a more pronounced day night cycle
  10. SturmovikDrakon

Nights are so dark that I can't see anything two meters in front of me when I'm at small outposts, yet people I don't see always spot me

... I think I should tweak my monitor, that's probably what's wrong with me

But in all honesty, that's how I would like nights to look for everyone else. I'll post a screenshot when I'm back from work, it literally becomes pitch black for me in the canyon regions of Indar and flashlights wouldn't be out of place and imo it's actually incredibly fun
  11. Highduke

Thats what happened sadly... BUUUUUUT if SOE were to... Maybe.... ASK for the Metro 2033 lighting engine that could be negated.... If you dont know Metro 2033 had an infamously good lighting engine that was impossible to cheat.
    • Up x 1
  12. Trinith

This idea makes a lot of sense to me... nights right now aren't really dark at all, which makes them kind of pointless. Dark nights would change the way a lot of base fights play out... well ok, not really, since NV is crazy strong at the moment and has pretty long range.

Still though, using night for cover would be really cool. Plus it would give vehicle lights a point. Haha also, imagine equiping a lib with a giant spot light to uncover enemy troops in the open for shelling :D
  13. UberBonisseur

The single fact that we have flashlight, and that they are better used turned off says something about the state of night gameplay.

Night gameplay could be interesting if they fundamentally the way some functions worked at night, especially spotting.
    In beta, nights were darker, but everyone ended up mashing the spot button and shoot at triangles
  14. Dubious

They are adding tunnels, lets hope for you, that they are dark, so you can sit in them whole day

Night is dark enough
    Have you ever been out in the dark?
    Humans have good night vision
    Not to mention that its "always" full moon during night time
  15. TheEvilBlight

For night, just pull in the render distance so you can't "see" as far.
  16. ScrapyardBob

This would be my preferred solution.

Give the moons proper cycles where they impact how much light gets cast. Let clouds sometimes obscure the light levels from the sun/moon. And whenever the two combine, it might go pitch black for a little while, but not more then a few minutes. Which would make for some nice dynamics once they introduce weather.

But it needs to be done in a way that you can't just turn up the gamma to defeat it. Which may require changes to the ForgeLight engine.

(At the moment, I'd settle for slightly longer day/night cycles to make it worth trudging to a terminal and swapping out scopes. Plus I think dawn/dusk battles are the best and it's a shame that it only lasts a minute or two.)
    • Up x 1
  17. SGTalon

The problem with night that is too dark is people would just avoid it. If you can't see your target you can't shoot it.

The reason you think it is great is because you are a sniper. You sit in a nice safe spot and look through your scope all day. You can't run around looking through an IR scope. You can't fight spot a sniper 20 feet from you if it is dark, you will definitely never see them if you are 300 yards away. So the mechanic would only benefit the snipers.

This just means that people you avoid continents that have night or just do something else until it is day again. It doesn't promote gameplay, it promotes camping snipers.

The night they have right now is enough that you can overlook things. It effectively limits visibility but not so much that you can't play.

I am sure the Snipers would LOVE to have everyone running around with flashlights too!! Then they have a really great "Kill This" sign that they don't even have to work to spot.

IF you think a feature would be a great idea you need to turn it around and think of it from the other side.

This is the problem i have with 90% of the complaints that people bring in this game. Almost every one of them is someone thinking about how a game mechanic hurts their type of gameplay. They never truly consider the other side of it. This is why it takes a while for balance to happen. You can't just think about what it is, you have to think about the other side too.
  18. FateJH

I'd like a darker night. It would add an interesting dimension to combat and increase the importance of the cheap weapon sights. What's the point of day-twilight-day cycle anyway?
  19. schrodingers_cat

so your saying you wouldn't put a proper day-night cycle in just because it would benefit snipers?
    and i honestly hadnt even considered that about the flashlights i was thinking purely from a "this would be awesome and it was in beta and worked pretty well" point of view
    also bear in mind if i snipe at night every single shot is a tracer round it wouldn't take a genius to see where the shot came from and hit me with something unpleasant
  20. Isila

Absolutely nobody uses the Flashlight attachment on infantry weapons, and everyone that knows you can turn off vehicle headlights does so immediately upon spawning. HR/NV optics for infantry and vehicles are used because they are effectively brightskins hacks, not because they help people see at night. As it stands right now, the day and night cycle has no meaning in the game except for the fact that 50% of the time I turn the brightness up to 100 instead of 50.

There should be more done to make the darkness... dark, and bring lighting into the field of tactical consideration.