[Suggestion] Liberators bombing at extreme angles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InfernoKoV, Jan 8, 2013.

1. InfernoKoV

If memory serves me right, Liberators in PS1 weren't able to bomb when the vehicle was beyond certain angles (Nose too high, Nose too low, and turning too sharp) I propose that this also becomes the case in PS2. I've seen first hand, many many times, liberators who are being run down by other aircraft will aim down or turn on their side so that their bomber can one shot them... This would fix this.

There were other limiting factors of course like not being able to have such a huge aiming area like we do now, but let's take this one step at a time.
  2. Hydragarium

This begs the question - Why? why would the gun suddenly stop working because you are at a specific angle?
  3. InfernoKoV

You really questioning realism in a SCi-Fi futuristic GAME? They obviously had it that way in the original for specific reasons. And I'm sure those reasons were legitimate. You could ask the question for everything in the game. With all this technology why don't we just nuke bases and destroy everything? Why can't some weapons aim as high as others can ON THE SAME VEHICLE. Why can't AV phalanxes aim as high at AA phalanxes and AA ones aim as low as AV ones? Seriously... If something is hurting the game and it gets fixed IT DOES NOT need a real life justifiable reason for doing so.

See it as a safeguard... if the plane is not balanced properly and shots are fired it becomes dangerous to the chassis of the vehicles due to an already great force being put on it by moving around so much.
  4. Corezer

well technically speaking it wouldnt, but in some cases it wouldnt be smart/safe so it isnt done

think a JDAM, no one drops those upside down.

suddenly pulling up/down and sending high powered explosives streaking through the skies praying it doesnt get intercepted by friendly air is just something you wouldnt see in any kind of legit military, existing or fictional.

not to say i give two spoons about the idea, just explaining.
  5. ANGER MANAGMENT BEAR

In PS1, liberators could only bomb if the plane was flying relatively straight. Also the bombs could pretty much only be dropped directly below the plane. You had to fly pretty precisely to get a good bombing run, rather than being able to turn around like a Gigantic Fortress of Extreme Death +6.
  6. InfernoKoV

Exactly... it took skill and coordination. They definitely weren't able to freely roam the skies above the base and hit anywhere they please like they do now. Libs were feared by everyone and they should be... but the way they are now allows way too much freedom for how powerful it is. There's really no point to have a tail gunner right now.
  7. Hydragarium

I am - and god forbid the reasons were for reasons not related to gameplay balance. A completely moot argument considering how fundamentally different the geometry of the two are)
  8. InfernoKoV

Like I and Corezer stated, it makes more logical sense that it's not able to than it does to be able to. If you have no legitimate argument over why the change shouldn't be or should be allowed in the GAME then you're doing nothing for this thread except helping to keep it alive.
  9. Kommissar Klose

Because the PS1 Liberator dropped bombs, while the PS2 Liberator has some variant of a cannon. Bombs have particular requirements, while the cannon does not.

The change appears to be intentional (e.g. the ability for a Liberator to strike at a wider range of targets with regards to the movement of the vehicle). Therefore, trying to make a link to PS1 as an argument for why it should change seems silly.
  10. Hydragarium

I still haven't seen a single legitimate argument yet. But by all means keep making flawed arguments.
  11. TheEvilBlight

Are you suggesting you want to go back to the bomber versus having a gunship?
  12. SolLeks

I never worried about libs in PS1. there bombs even showed on the mini map and since they could only bomb in lines, you knew where they where gonna drop em.

I like the new ones better to be honest.
  13. Flarestar

I don't think it should go back to being a bomber.... PS1 Libs were honestly pretty meh.

However, I do think the shells should have some kind of meaningful arc in relation to firing angle. Right now they fire like a mortar but travel in what is, as far as I can tell, a laser-straight line.
  14. InfernoKoV

They're literally a flying tank, but a tank that has yet to be seen on the ground. Fastest killer in the game and all it takes is 2 people (or 1 if you're skilled enough... Yes, all you need is one person seat swapping)

IMO if you guys insist on it being a gunship then give it more guns and decrease the damage appropriately because right now it really only has 1 gun... Not very gunship-like. I would much rather it require at least 3 people gunning and have it maintain it's power (when all gunners hit the same thing) than give all that power to one person. Until then it is still an old fashioned liberator to me. The Galaxy Gunship in PS1 WAS a gunship IMO and it's size and lack of mobility contrasted it's power... And it took 4 people.