Farming Certs - Tips?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FleshIcon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. FleshIcon

Over the last 10 hours I have tried to earn as many certs as possible "my way" by just killing a lot of enemy's. Some bases where captured during this time but wasn't the goal (as capturing bases is dead boring). I had tons of kill streaks too with my Magrider.

In those 10 hours I started with about 20 certs. By the end of it I have 195. If I didn't fly so much I would have earned more.

Over xmas I had a 50% Boost and that still felt slow. I understand Sony need to make money off the game but it seems like a huge grind and I'm getting burned out.

If you're a quick farmer, how do you do it? o_O
  2. Soylent

Play a medic, get your healing/rez tool upgraded to lv5 to not piss people off, and watch the certs stack up.
    • Up x 3
  3. SixReasons

The best thing for me was buying a membership. +35% certs here. Is this an option for you?
  4. SeraphC

If you're going to play a game with this kind of business model (and not put in money) the first thing you have to do is get over your "I want it now" attitude. That's what the cash shop is for.

As for the farming: get a friend, get a liberator, find the enemy zerg and start bombing.
    • Up x 2
  5. stopdroplol

How much time do you think a casual gamer will spend on ps2 in a day? Lets say 2 hours. At the op rate of 20 credits an hour it will take that player 12.5 days just to get a new 500 cred weapon. Then another 10 hours or so for the upgrades. so that's 22 and a half days just for 1 weapon, for 1 class.

You know what these gamers will say when they come to this realization? "Not worth it."
  6. FleshIcon

Its not a "I want it now". Its more "I spent 10 hours playing and got little reward".

There was the +50% boost over xmas that I bought (lasts a week) which was better but as stopdroplol said, it doesnt feel "worth it".

I have spent $65 on the game. The certs are for upgrades but it feels like WoW grinding.
  7. C4Chaos42

Get a ESF, rocket pods, camp spawns and destroy helpless tanks.

Proceed to laugh manically.

8. Talizzar

How many kills did you get? How many big base caps were you part of?
  9. Le_Fou

1- Go NC
    2- Take a MAX double hacksaw
    3- Camp a bio lab
    4- ????
    5- Profit!
    • Up x 2
  10. FleshIcon

With some luck, I will get lots and lots of kill streaks. Lots of dead soldiers and tanks. As for bases, not many. I find the xp is too low so I move on to combat area's. Usually around The Crown.

I do play some Skyth which I am horrible with and that will lower my certs per hour. :)

@Le_Fou
    I thought about doing the MAX but Im not very good at Infantry. Certs are slow so I specialize in one thing at a time. Right now its the Magrider with the Engie repair tool upgraded. Also, it seems the Medic with full upgraded heal gun helps a ton as well. Again, something I don't have the time to upgrade and Im not very good at Air combat.
  11. SeraphC

The thing is: you don't need all those new weapons and stuff. The default weapons are pretty balanced with their counterparts that need unlocking. This is not one of those games where you actually need the top weapon to compete you could even argue that in many cases there is no such thing as a top weapon.

Of course things like rocket pods are not available by default. I suggest that if you want those you save up for them instead of spending your certs all over where you might not use them as much. Prioritize.

I also think you underestimate the time the average player plays. That and I assume there will be more double exp events.

Again: this is a shooter, not a fantasy MMO with weapons and armor that you actually need to compete. Treat it as such and adjust your expectations. There is no grind. Just game play and an extra feature to unlock after you have played for a while.
  12. stopdroplol

This is completely untrue.

For infantry. Stock weapons may be more or less balanced but the upgrades improve those weapon a great length. Improvements which you wont be able to equip on the default unlocked weapons. There's also the explosive stuff like c4 and mines which cost quite a bit and aren't open by default.

For vehicles. It's an entirely unfair comparison. 1) Stock vehicles are just trash compared to upgraded versions. 2) Vehicles specialize into many different roles which free2play players will never get to enjoy or experience.

Rocket Pods cost 1000 certs. I'm curious, have you ever had 1,000 certs at one time?

Lets do the math though. Playing 3 hours mon-fri and 4 hours on weekend at a rate of 25 certs and hour it will take 2 weeks to get rocket pods and 150 cred to upgrade the aircraft. That's 2 weeks (or 46 hours) for just one role, for 1 vehicle, for 1 character. Note: For 46 hours the player can buy no other upgrades. Note2: The aircraft still isn't optimized for that 1 role and more upgrades and more time will be needed. Note3: A beginner or average player wont be able to maintain 25 certs per hour (OP was only getting 17.5 and he was credit farming as best he could).

I seriously doubt the majority of players play more than 14 hours a week.

It is a shooter. It is an RPG. It is set in a Fantasy world. There are Weapons and Armor that will give you an advantage over your enemies. There is a grind and it's especially hard on those who don't spend money. If a player does not grind or spend money there are many features of this game he or she will never get to experience.
  13. MarcusD

Literally no fun allowed I see.
  14. MisterBond

Take Engineer

Take Level 3 Tech tool, Level 3 ammo pack. Repair everything and anything, drop ammo for team mates all the time.

Only downside is ammo packs have a XP Cap on them for time, its something like 2000ish xp per 2-3 minutes, the majority of your xp gain is through the repair tool. Find a max, stick to him like glue, MAX units give the biggest xp bonus per repairs in the game which is double everything else, even better, join a MAXer squad, as MAX's who are in your squad/platoon give you double XP. Same goes for tanks etc in your squad.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Less certs, but -MORE- certs if you got nothing to repair is take medic, spec into at least level 4 medic gun, run around the battlefield healing everyone. Yes you do get more certs for a revive, however, revives take 4-5x as long as a healing does, which is why the XP is more. If there's tons of bodies around, revive, but don't -LET- your team mates die just so you can revive them, you'll most likely end up dead because your enemies will kill all your team mates vs you keeping all of them alive healing them while they are alive.
  15. Rago

Interesting How many people here have different Options to farm certs, i would like to say 40 Certs a Hour is never a Problem.

I suggest you a Squad or Outfit to work with, Try to find Lost-Biolabs, who are isolated by a Faction and simply Hold them with the rest of People that are there if you are Lucky, there will be on or 2 Hours of Infantry Fights Going on.

Get a Shotgun as Engineer (cant talk for Medic) drop Ammo-packs Repair Maxes, lay down Mines(Wich will cost you resources) but they fill up the next Continent or day ;) And Kill many many People dont Hide because you can Die Jump in and kill 2-5 Guys before you Die.

Liberator is Effective if you find a "lucky" Spot.

There is more Stuff but it is Situational im sure you find it up yourself with the Time.
  16. DuggeDank

Have you tried enjoying playing the game instead of just playing for the sole reason to get more certs? ;)
    If you think capturing bases is boring, you get burned out for farming certs, you don't want to put additional money into the game and you think you'll end up saying "this ain't worth it - I'm not going to play"... Then maybe you shouldn't play?

It sounds like you are playing a game you don't want to play, since you apparently don't see any point in working with your team/squad/outfit to capture and defend bases? I understand and agree that certs are fun, and some are pretty important (mostly for vehicles like have been pointed out) but if you're going to pour hours upon hours into a game you got to have a few more reasons to play than farming certs, don't you?

This sounded a bit harsh but I don't mean it like that, it's just that I actually like the capturing, defending and teamworking and the certs are just there to spice up that game. I could probably play even without certs, but maybe I'm wierd :p

I guess that's why I also don't really know a good way to farm certs, I don't even know what type of experience give more certs than others. Sounds like the medic is the best cert farmer to me?
    A medic who places an AMS sunderer maybe? You get some XP for each spawn on your sunderer, so that racks up pretty quick if you manage to get one in a really popular position. No idea if that's "low cert XP" though.
  17. McFatal

Yeah I'm sorry but that's just not an acceptable point of view for this game. The casuals and those who spend no money are content for those who pay. Every player is game content, the less there is the less content this game offers. Casuals are a majority, and someone who doesn't play has a massive grind in this game and they're going to leave. Smedly once posted on twitter about how there were some people who were getting 100,000 score per hour, or 400 certs per hour without boosts. I play with one of these guys and they make loads but they also play all the time and they are hardcore gamers. I'm sure they have based their cert prices on the gains of higher level gamers, because casuals get the ugly end of the stick in this game.

For a casual, the rate at which you get content in this game is utterly unattractive, plain and simple. There is no attitude that justifies it, like "oh he's a free player" or "He's bad" or anything like that, without the free players and the bad players, all that will be left is a small minority. Only about 10% of the players playing PS2 have subscribed for membership, that's an immensely small population compared to the potentially free 90%.
  18. Nehemia

I want to ask, whats the rush? The game will suddenly switch from "I'm having fun" to "Must maximize character efficiency." Where its no longer fun. How about, just have fun, enjoy the game and don't give a damn about marginal certification things like being capable of taking 1 more bullet or stuff. Just hone your personal skills, have fun and you'll notice an natural curve in increase of your certification gains. That at least has worked for me. Being inside larger fights provides a ton of certs if you maintain a decent score / hour.
    • Up x 1
  19. ArcKnight

if you want to farm, Medic & engineers are basically farm machines as far as i can tell ( sometimes I wonder if SOE intended them to be for farming purposes ) i only farm to improves each classes effectiveness so i can be more helpful to my faction

Medic
    1) upgrade the medical applicator ( upgrading increases the speed of healing/reviving, so you get XP at a faster rate )
    2) join a squad ( you get some bonus XP for healing/reviving guys in your squad/platoon )
    3) always stay behind cover and support you allies ( you'll live longer than someone running from cover )
    4) don't run ahead of you allies you might get friendly fired or get killed first which equals NO XP ( this applies to engineers as well )
    5) use the AOE heal ability near the wounded otherwise you'll just be healing yourself and get no XP for it
    6) Cert a Triage you'll get a little XP from it
    7) don't stay still when healing/reviving otherwise you a much easier target
    8) help other medics, you'll get less XXP because of it but at least there's someone to revive you when get taken out ,we'll almost all of them will revive you anyway ( some guys are very protective of their XP )

Engineer a.k.a the guy with explosives in his pockets
    1) upgrade the Repair tool ( increases repair speed )
    2) follow a MAX like his shadow & keep him alive him ( repairing him non stop ) cause he's the only thing standing between you and a bloody death
    3) lay down some AI and AT mines ( XP for blowing up the unsuspecting ), AI mines should be places at doors, generator ( after they exploded, before someone overloads them if not the mines will be wasted when the generator blows )
    4) place ammo-packs where your allies going to be at in an inevitable fight to the death
    5) place MANA turrets near teleport room to camp them ( the turret should not be facing the shielded doors as the enemy inside can shoot through the shield and you can't ) so place turrets to the side and kill them when they get out, a turret on the side of a high traffic route for infantry can get you a lot of kills before they even know what happened ( make sure you have good cover so they don't suspect a thing until it's too late )
    6 ) place C4 inside the teleport rooms OR anywhere people will crowd over will do nicely, when there a large enemy group is inside, hit the trigger, you get a tone of kill, but the amount of XP/Certs depends on how many were in there ( but make sure the C4 you placed is somewhere not easily noticeable ) actually this is for all classes
    7) repair everything
    8) don't stand right behind vehicles when repairing them cause if they hit revers your road kill

Sunderer Spawn ( it's perfect if your desperate OR obsessed about getting stuff unlocked quickly if your a lone wolf )
    place an AMS sunderer at/ around The Crown attacking and defending ( but try to keep it alive and get into it every now n then before it deconstructs that's your top priority so have good lvl repair tool ) also equip a Proximity Repair OR Ammo Dispensers along with it ( upgrade it's rage while your at it )

the alternative is Liberator Bombing OR getting rocket pods for your Reaver/Scythe/Mosquito ( i don't encourage it because it's ruining the infantry battles )

i get more than a 100 Certs a day, but frankly don't care as there is too much to certify and unlock
    ( i only use a liberator or Reaver for transport )
    • Up x 1
  20. drhead

Go to the Crown. Best cert farm out there.
    • Up x 1