Very low fps, advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MartialDoctor, Dec 18, 2012.

1. supahitecjetfyta

check the power options in control panel, set it to performance if it isnt already, change it a few times if it is.
    on mine it wasnt reaching the full CPU speed whilst playing and it was causing a lot of slow down.
    once i fixed that its been running great to the point i dont even look at the FPS counter anymore.
    medium shadows rest on high, 1920x1080, no changes to useroptions.ini.
  2. MartialDoctor

Just to update... I did do an OC to 3.7 GHz (from the stock 3.4 GHz). I may try to tweak it later after I do a reinstall of Windows 7 and feel like putting in the time to OC it more sufficiently. I checked with Pure 95 to make sure it's running safely.

It's running more smoothly and it seems to be less choppy than before.

I'll also try putting it in High Performance under the power options. See how that affects things.

Now, I'm just waiting for the January patch! :)
  3. SolLeks

Hopefuly the january client will fix the FPS issue.

I have a i52500k @ 4.8 Ghz, a 680GTX and 570GTX (dedicated Physx card), 8 gigs of ram and some other useless stats I don't feel like thinking about and I only get 30-40 FPS in large fights, 120+ in an empty warpgate running a mixed ultra settings (ironically ultra does not tax my PC more than low... so why not)

compare this to BF3 on low settings - 200FPS solid. (woo 120hz screen)

now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect 200 FPS on ultra, or on most settings in a large fight. I do expect the FPS to be a bit more steady however and not jumping 60 frames depending on where I am. (30 frames from a small fight to a large one, ok, but 60 / 70, A bit to much imo. unless I am just crazy).

IMO you should always game on High Performance (assuming this is the power settings, no?) wile gaming.
    The OS reinstall + tweeking will prob give you around 5/10 fps assuming your current OS install is not jacked up.

I just got a SSD for my laptop, tonight I will put planetside on it (not my main gaming thing, just my portagamingthing) and I am intrested to see what FPS it pulls ( i5 @ somthing like 2.3ghz + 560m GTX and 6 gig ram)

I do hope its playable on that laptop since it represents what most peoples gaming rigs are (that don't want to spend more money than they probably should........ but 3D is so cool.... lol)
  4. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

... additionally, the liquid cooling systems (and heat-pipes as well) are good because they more efficiently move the heat out of the central part of the case. You can get pretty good results with some air-cooling that vents directly from the CPU to the outside as well if you ensure there is some kind of controlled airflow inside.

This keeps the heat out of the internals and lets the rest of the fans cool the motherboard and GPU(s). My own desktop at home only gets warm because I haven't vented the GPU's directly to the outside yet (I'm considering a liquid cooling solution for the GPU as well) and it's in a vertical orientation.
    • Up x 1
  5. JustSe7en

Nice to see the dev's actually back on the forums again....
  6. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

I do have to apologize since I took some vacation around the holidays and was also ill for a bit. I tend not to post when I'm ill, I've found it's really not a good idea ... ;)
    • Up x 1
  7. HellYeaah

Is there any possibility to get banned if changing UserOptions.ini CyclesMcHurtz?
  8. Altijdwat

and thats exactly why i use antec case

[IMG]
  9. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

The UserOptions.ini file was accidentally mentioned during beta in a post also talking about other game files that should not be modified. This one file is modifiable and is changed by the game depending upon what selections you make in the Options menu, but extreme care should be taken when changing values because some of these values are not intuitive and can also cause low-performance and/or crashing if you use the "wrong" values.

At the start of Beta we asked players to refrain from making changes to UserOptions.ini because it skewed the crash and performance numbers initially. Instead, we asked them to make changes through the in-game UI only. That is still the best way to make the initial changes until you get to more detailed tweaks, and those additional changes should be done after doing some reading to make sure you know the correct (and valid) range of values for what you are trying to accomplish.
    • Up x 4
  10. SomeRandomNewbie

It might be an idea to post an official guide for the values at some point; there's a lot of contradictory information floating around in the forums at this time. I can understand that the tech team might not want to 'support' manual setting changes, but a big red disclaimer at the front of the post normally solves that problem.
    • Up x 1
  11. Nikushimi

Upgrade your CPU,memory and stop buying AMD.

The main bottleneck is the processors lane controller.
    Its also limited by its command set (Becuse AMD's development tools are garbage)
  12. HellYeaah

Well most of the ppl already know that Intel is batter than AMD. 8 core AMD is basicly the sam as 4 core i5, but if you look at the prices that's the same also.
  13. Naceo

Not really, those 8 cores is about 4 more cores than anyone in the world knows how to code for. It may look good on benchmarks but games cannot take advantage of it.
  14. HellYeaah

Yes and becouse they can't take advantage of it, they are performing the same as i5
  15. Nikushimi

No the core aspect has no bearing. A process has to be written in order to utilize the cores (forking). If the process is written to utilize four then it will only use four.
  16. ScrapyardBob

Even a simple list, posted to the top 3 PS2 wiki sites, of each in-game option and whether it more likely impacts CPU or GPU would be useful.
  17. TeknoBug

I'm not a believer in needing 6-8 fans like many of the gamers do, as long as you have a vacuum effect (1-2 front and 1-2 rear) that's all you need. Wire clutter and hard drive location has an effect as well. No need to put 2-3 fans on the top and side which reduces the vacuum airflow.

I myself use Antec 300 and 1000 cases, I covered the top fan holes and put a filter on the side one to keep cat hair from going in.
  18. TheBoss@BossRigs

19. Nikushimi

The only fans i need are my radiator fans.
  20. Sar Yehudah

It's useless until SOE allows us to turn their horse**** internal AA off. That is the very worst culprit for low fps right now. I am very angry that SOE continues to refuse to give us this option. It's very easy to do since it was possible to disable it in beta