Cert points, oh god why.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DrageonPL, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Dulu

I've spent maybe $80 on station cash.

I never once felt like I had to. I do it because I want cosmetics like camoflauge, and I'm impatient.

My standard issue LA80 and Bolt Driver both did a fine job of plunking noggin's - but I wanted to try the Longshot for 700 SC. Same for the Mag-Shot, it's a fine pistol, but I wanted to try the Desert Eagle.

The only place I feel like you may be right, is in the air. Having A2A missles or breaker rockets make a huge difference for aircraft. With that said, I'd drastically reduce the cert cost, maybe make both of them 100 certs.

For infantry though, you're way off. Standard issue weapons and the cheap upgrades like sights and recoil reduction are very strong.
  2. DrageonPL

I agree, or as I said before, have those high end specific weapons and then those mid all around but weaker ones. This would allow for specialization which would make you good against tanks for example but not so much against the planes. This would make the teamplay grow as well because you cannot be a stone killer.
  3. Steppa

Tomcats?
  4. DrageonPL

well tomcats are the Air to Air that shoots me down the most which I think is the NC variant, but any of those Air to Air missiles can be either bad or deadly when you got 10 lock ons on yourself.
  5. NostalgiaForInfinity

I suck at this game but even I have made more certs than you. That's the problem when you play zerg - you have to pick your battles to get certs. No other way. Don't expect to drop in an enemy base (or fly over it for that matter) and to immediately start pwning *** and gaining certs. No - you get dead in 20 seconds if not less. If certs is what concerns you, find what's happening where. You faction is defending/attacking the Crown - what a wonderful opportunity to be a med/eng. Find a battle on the field that feels balanced and can go either way - join in, you'll probably live a bit longer.

The best cert farm (without going the "*****" way of lib camping, that's just wrong) is to defend a biolab. Spawn medic, go down to tank spawn, shoot idiots passing by, revive friendlies. Same goes for the crown. There are ways to get certs, but you should have just asked, not whined about it.

On a final note - I do agree with you that gun info is pathetic. Try-outs are also ******* useless. What if I am considering between buying one of two guns that I don't have? Try one, then try the other 8 HOURS later? That's just stupid. How hard is it to design a virtual sim room where you can just shoot ****?

Anyways.
  6. DrageonPL

Thanks for the advice.
  7. Palor

You would maybe have a legitimate complaint if you had to pay $50 or $60 for the game. For SoE to keep this game going they need to make a profit to make a profit they need to sell items that people want to buy, cosmetic items will only go so far. If the better weapons only cost 200cp how long do you think this game would last? $7 or 1000cp is a bit much for a single weapon but they cant make things too cheap or PS2 will be dead in a month.

Lets see from there SOE admits they need a better tutorial and they are working on it. Again this would be a problem if the game was $50 or $60 but it is hard to complain when the game was free. There are also some basic tutorial videos on the launcher before you go into the game. Not to mention dozens if not hundreds of user made videos on youtube. Yes it is inconvenient to need to look outside the game for these videos but not the end of the world.

Then there are ways to compare the weapons in the store. There is a check box down by the purchase button that says compare. When you turn that on it compares which ever weapon you have selected to whichever the mouse is hovering over. You could also read the description and compare the stats of each weapon if. If 1 weapon has 4 checks under damage and the other 6...well you get the idea. They also do have the weapon trials which is again clearly shown when you go to purchase the weapon is says TRY NOW, you just need to read what is on the screen.

Lastly it sounds like maybe PS2 is not the game for you. If after 82 hours you are only making 10cp an hour idk, maybe the scale is too great for you. If you are flying in an ESF with 5 enemy aircraft around and AA on the ground how long do you think you will survive? If you are driving along in a tank with no air cover and there are enemy Liberators orbiting how long do you think you will survive? If you go running across an open field towards an enemy you are going to get blown away. One man armies do not work in PS2. Even if you have the absolute best gear in the game better players are probably going to beat you in one on one, especially better players with similar gear.
  8. control-z

I think the only weapon you really need above the standard is an anti-air launcher or AA ability for Max. I am having plenty of fun occasionally upgrading my weapons with a sight, grip, or larger magazine.
  9. Bejita231

I do like how majority of players will not call this P2W, but they all have spent $300+ on HE shells and Liberators lol!
  10. DukeFlash

Well, I can tell you that there are some very useful vehicle weapons that you could afford with your 843 certs.

Bulldog is 250 certs, Night vision optic is 50 certs. That right there's a mean weapon for 300 certs, maybe try it on your Sunderer.

Zepher is 750 certs, for the Liberator gunship, and that is a beast for farming infantry kills (though I would hate you for it). 50 more certs for night vision (800 total).

If you want to gun with your own vehicle, instead of drive/pilot: join a squad, set the vehicle rights to Squad/Platoon only (open this menu with Page Down on your keyboard) and have a squadmate drive while you gun.

OR you could spend the certs on the under-appreciated Flash (atv). Get some radar on it (350 certs for 75m radar) and get the cheapest weapon: 100 cert M12 Kobalt machine gun, won't hurt anything but atv's, ESF and infantry but combined with the radar you can pick off lone infantry trying to sneak around). This radar works even if you're not in the Flash and all your allies can see the enemy radar blips, not just you.

You could even spring for the 250 cert M20 Basilisk if you want to pluck away at vehicles but if you get the Basilisk you might not need the radar, as you can probably spot vehicles just fine, so:

You could forget the radar and get the turbo-boost for only 150 certs (can't be used with radar, only one or the other) and have fun with that. See Light Assault ideas below to combine with:

---------------------------
    For infantry:
    Suppressor (silencer) is 100 certs and Light Assault & Engineer share a lot of weapons (aka the default carbine).

You could spend 700 of it on C4 for Light Assault (so you can carry two. It's 200 for rank 1... 500 for rank 2).
    Fly above a tank, drop both C4, detonate = dead tank. Won't work on Sunderers unless it's almost dead, though.
    For 850 (total) certs, you take the C4 (700), go in as light assault on a flash using turbo boost (150)... jump off at the peak of the flash jump... float down, C4... PROFIT!

That's a hell of a weapon for 850 certs.... not easy to use but you'll feel like a badass.

It does cost 100 infantry resources per C4 brick but as long as you save them up (they can be stockpiled) you will soon have plenty at your disposal.

-----------------------------

YES, most of the weapon unlocks take 1000 certs and YES it's frustrating.... but you do have very real options, if you are willing to think of the other choices at your disposal. I've only shown you the tip of the iceberg.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gungan

I have spent about $75 on Alpha Squad and triple SC... and quite frankly I felt that I had to do so in order to play on a balanced field.

Alpha Squad SC went straight to ESF weapons. These are must have if you ever want to get off the ground.

Triple SC went to buy better infantry and vehicle weapons. NC Carbine upgrades are pretty spectacular, and you really need an NS-11A as a medic because NC AR's suck.

Then I got all the tank guns and upgraded sunderer guns, not because they're must haves, but because spending certs on guns would have put me months behind members and other people who pay. Certs must be spent into class/vehicle traits in order to compete on a level playing field, which means the universally superior option is to buy all the guns (unless it's the 100 cert bone they throw you).
  12. Clutchstep

It sounds like you play HA for TR and want to stick with that. If that's the case, you don't need to buy anything, the CARV is an awesome all-around gun. The other LMGs are basically tailored for specific strengths so you only need to get them if you want to focus on specific situations (i.e., close quarters, specific ranges) while sacrificing strength in other areas. Battle rifles suck, the alternate rocket launchers suck, and you get an awesome default pistol. So you don't need to buy anything. If you feel a strong need to buy something, keep in mind that for most weapons there is a cheap alternative that costs 250 cert points or less.

Now you may want to modify your gun, but IMO the only one that makes a big difference is the scope, which is a measly 30 certs. The compensators, grips, etc. are not that noticeable. The other thing is that a lot of upgrades like Nanoweave and flak armor only make a significant difference with the first level, which is 1 cert point. You don't need pay the 1000 certs or whatever it is to upgrade them to max level. So you really need less than 100 points to get basic skills on the character, and can spend the rest on weapons.

The other thing to consider is to do some research and pay some money. If you're stingy wait for a double or triple SC day and only buy sale items. I did this and it basically means I'm paying $0.50-$1.50 per weapon for most of my arsenal.
  13. uhlan

I honestly dont know what people are on about with easy cert gain.

I've brought a character to lvl 23 1771 certs and lvl 22 1489 certs. Barely enough to get one of the top weapons and outfit it... let alone equip with armor and utilities. If I were to pay for things, like weapons, the certs could be put to better use I guess.
  14. Morpholine

Generally speaking, the first level of any certification tree has 90% of the benefit associated with it. Grab the low-hanging fruit; it's worth it.
    • Up x 1
  15. Negator

You noobs complaining about cert gain need to

A. do your homework: the "top weapons" do not require 1k cents.
    B. SPEND MONEY (fyi you haven't paid anything so far)
    C. realize you don't need everything available
    D. join an outfit
    E. watch YouTube and L2P
  16. fish998

Heavy should be the best infantry XP farming in the game (aside from MAXs) since you have the shield. In a straight up 1on1 you should beat all the other classes. Use aim down sights, crouch, pop your shield (optional since it makes you an easy target, especially at night), and aim for the head. Don't run and gun or hip fire unless the situation calls for it.
  17. Zakuak

Switch it up a bit, know when or what class to jump into. LA has its moments along with HA and Medi...after all that jump into Engi and go repair all the turrets around the place.

Hell you can probably do 50 certs in an hour just doing repairs on damaged base gens and turrets but you gotta be adventurous, go back to previously capped bases and drive around them doing reps and clearing out the occasional sneaky little infiltrator who's lurking about.

I played HA/LA up to lvl 25 or so exclusively then I got into flying and needed to be an engineer for obvious reasons and my cert gains doubled maybe even tripled over night just doing reps on my gear then I realized I could really go cert crazy repairing base defenses.
  18. NostalgiaForInfinity

This kinda showcases some problems the game has.
    A. This is SOE's job. This **** should be inside the game. You should not be required to do any homework. Fail on SOE's part. Seriously, what dafuk does a "tick" on the damage stat even mean? You don't even know how much health you have! This s.h.i.t. infuriates me! How goddamn hard is it to stick some goddamn numbers in there? If you don't know your total health a tick in the dmg stat means jack s.h.i.t.
    B. No. This is F2P and not P2W. If this is a requirement we forfeit the entire premise of the game.
    C. This is the player's job. I agree.
    D. Same.
    E. Again failure on SOE's part to introduce people to the game. Seriously - it's a s.h.i.t. game for beginners. And I mean total vomit. This is one area SOE should really feel ashamed.
  19. maxkeiser

The game was free?
  20. NOX2097

[IMG]

[IMG]