Friendly fire, purposly killing a friendly sunderer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Odessa, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bill Hicks

F2P + Gen Y
  2. Vendettta

yeah i've been seeing this all the time lately........ i'd say make sundies immune to friendly fire
  3. Shurikane

Better yet: TURN FRIENDLY FIRE OFF COMPLETELY.

F2P game + FPS + FF = The ability to pretty much grief your own team all day long in total impunity. This never has been and never will be a good idea in any FPS game whatsoever.
  4. Arcanum

Wrong. In most situations sunderers are not guarded and don't have any good defense upgrades. So they can be destroyed solo very easily, it's why people nowadays like to bring multiple backup sunderers instead of tanks. If your squadmates are collaborative you can take them down even more easily. It's just that zerglings don't like to attack them or don't have the means to destroy them and are generally afraid of making any sacrifices, despite the fact getting rid of enemy mobile spawns is a pretty damn critical objective.

Also, believe it or not the Galaxy and the Liberator both have more armour than a sunderer, I think the galaxy beats it even with maxed out blockade armor. I think it's even more ridiculous that a gunship has more armor than a truck that has more or the same armor as the MBTs.

The galaxy I understand because it's a transport ship and unfortunately no one uses it to kill things. It's still instagibbed by drop pods despite being the most armored thing in the game for some reason...

It's the damn grind. The total XP for the generators is not worth two kills IIRC. But anti-social people still do it because if they don't they aren't making as many certs as they can and if they don't make that many certs they are becoming weaker. To them more certs(in other words leveling their character) is the entire point of the game. Certs, better equipment comes before everything in the game for them. It's what you get when you allow the grinding to become so big, when you make imbalance so important to the game.
  5. Jestunhi

No.

All this will lead to is masses of explosive AoE spam.

Tanks spamming AoE shells into buildings where combat is. Liberators bombing the **** out of any and all battles without having to worry about injuring allies, etc, etc.
    • Up x 1
  6. Lucidius134

I meant ground vehicle, my bad. MBT's have more armor but Sunderer's have more flat out HP.

They can only be destroyed solo easily if you abuse broken *** AT mines. If you go HA, chances are you'll catch one to the head quicker then you can shoot reload shoot reload shoot reload shoot reload. If it's at a distance they can out repair you.

Also keep in mind, why spawn an ATV when you can spawn a mobile spawn point in case you die that has more hP? Back in Beta you could only spawn ATV's at those terminals, now you can spawn Sunderer's there and it leads to people pulling entire zergs out of their ***. It's awful. It was NEVER this bad pre-beta because you had to decide "Am I spawning a tank or am I spawning a Sunderer and trading offensive for support skills." Most people took the tank.
  7. Arcanum

Why do you assume AT mines are broken? They are most likely made to work that way, fully intended. Since the game doesn't want any minefields high damage mines that you can use aggressively are the only way mineguard can truly be useful, in its(somehow) most passive use. You use it to not get instakilled by random mines someone just planted behind you or on your parked vehicle rather than because you expect a minefield whererever you're headed to drain your health, assisting defenders. It's a way of making things look like they're all very personalized and unique and stuff, you have to pick what you hate the most or what you lack counters against the most.

All it takes are 3 C4 explosives to kill a sunderer without extra armor. C4 is obviously harder to use than mines since they don't explode automatically and take longer to plant and detonate as well as being less predictable, sometimes they won't drop or stick as you expect them. But, once they are planted the only ways to get rid of them is either triggering the explosion or having the guy who planted them plant another one. So all you need to do is plant 3 C4s close to each other and find a way to detonate them.

Credit for C4 kills is kinda broken IMO, it goes to whoever detonates them. I thought one of the big things about C4 was that you can only detonate them with a detonator... I guess they just had to call the explosive perk a name the audience is familiar with. I don't like how C4 works overall, but it's not for me to decide how things work.
  8. Shurikane

Funnily enough, I would prefer this to my own team being more lethal against me than the enemy is right now.

I draw my experience mainly from BF2142:
    • We'd assault a reactor core and the spec-ops would lay their explosives on the core to blow it up - which is fair and good and proper spec-ops stuff to do. The problem was that everyone hugged the core like a teddy bear, making it impossible for the spec-ops to do his job without TKing his entire team in the process - which sometimes happened anyway out of frustration and hence got the poor spec-ops automatically booted from the server. This problem pretty much robbed teams of a victory more often than I can remember.
    • Commanders would call in an orbital strike and people would run straight into it. Friendly people. Teammates. Don't ask me what was going through their heads when they did that.
    • On a less common basis, it was used to force TKs, by placing oneself in the path of an oncoming vehicle and hopefully get the driver auto-booted from the server.
    If FF was off, the one problem it generated was explosives-hopping, which was a frustrating thing to watch but ultimately so situational that there was little point in doing it except in extremely-close-quarters combat.

Right now on PS2 the situation is nearly out of control. I have teammates turning right around and shooting me in the face out of the blue for God knows what reason. And meanwhile in some other thread or even this one, I can't recall, there are people telling about how they TK people who don't play in a way they like. What the hell, people. If my team tells me I screwed up by outright killing me without a spoken word, then we might as well put this game on XBox Live and let the 12 year olds invade already since it's obviously not getting any better from there.

I don't believe turning FF off would cause a whole lot of shooty-spam, chiefly because we're all using guns, so we're likely to be all a fair distance away from one another. In base assaults, CQC happens within buildings that tanks can't shoot into. The chances of a situation where a high explosive leaves a teammate alive when FF-on should have killed him, I believe, are slim. I would not be saying that if melee was a large part of the gameplay.
  9. RD1349

Guys it's a game just dont spoil it for others let them learn how to play without having C4 stuffed down their necks
  10. wwwyzzerrdd

interesting that there used to not be a sunderer 'aoe', now that everyone knows the best spots would it change much if they just took that away again? you park your sundy in a bad spot you get no spawns.

maybe just drastically change the aoe
  11. Jestunhi

Right now only tech plants and bio labs avoid the tank / air aoe spam, all the other bases are either open or full of windows and doors to spam aoe through.

I highly doubt it will change because SOE have shown on numerous occasions that they understand the god-awful consiquences of disabling it.
  12. Kracken

It's not necessary, unless you're a lib gunner.
  13. Sucellus

This is getting out of hand. They should either remove the XP for Sunderer spawns or punish destroying friendly sunderers. I wouldn't care if they remove the XP honestly. 5 XP per spawn (even at a big fight) is far less than I could have gotten by just killing enemies.
  14. serenekaos

If they punish to severely, how will we get rid of bad sunderers?
  15. Jestunhi

"if TKing is punished harshly how will we TK"?

OK, sunderers tend to be empty so it's not quite a TK, but I still found your post amusing. :)
  16. Glowcat

The only sunderer I destroyed was completely by accident. I was in such a AMS killing frenzy because Vanu kept popping them out that I didn't notice in the dark that we had snuck one into the Tech Plant. Needless to say the owner wasn't too pleased. :oops:

Though there certainly are way too many bad sunderers placed around biolabs. It's particularly confusing to noobs who might not realize where the heck they're supposed to go or to be careful selecting spawn points there instead of picking the nearest.
  17. Ronaldspiers

Sunderers seem to be big teamkiller magnets.

I spawned on a sunderer yesterday and witnessed a teammate just wasting everyone that was spawning there. So I killed him and everyone in the area /reported.

I know having teamkilling on means you need to be more careful with your shooting but honestly sometimes I think the game would be more fun with it off because of all the idiots.
  18. serenekaos

The main problem as I see it is the game will auto-select the nearest spawn point to your death. At Bio-labs this means the idiot that parked one underneath, sometimes inside the damn shield that traps everyone once the gen comes back up. So, if you don't notice that the sunderer that is auto-selected is going to force you to run AWAY from the Bio-Lab to the nearest elevator/tele. Eating up valuable time and stalling the assault. When the lemmings who aren't paying attention start to spawn there......it gets worse.

I feel it is my responsibility to my teammates to remove that spawn point to eliminate confusion and keep our people getting to the fight faster. If they penalize too harshly for destroying friendly sunderers.......we won't be able to prevent brain dead sundy spawns from ruining Bio-Lab assaults.
  19. Jestunhi

It would be soooooo much worse with it off.
    Tanks, libs, roflpods, and all other explosives being spammed into every fight because there's no fear of injuring / killing allies? Can you imagine how bad it would get?
  20. Assist

Indeed. I get a lot of angry tells for destroying ally sunderers. If they'd place them in better places, then I wouldn't have to destroy them. I always explain better spots to place them as well.

If he destroyed yours to place next to you, then destroy his. That person obviously thinks the exp he gets from spawning is important, so go ahead and ruin his day by ending that exp.