VA39 Spectre vs Phantom

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by lonegunman, Dec 23, 2012.

1. lonegunman

Is there any difference between the default Vanu sniper (the VA39 Spectre) and the Phantom? I looked at that google spreadsheet and they seem to have the same stats in every field except reload time, where the VA39 is actually one second faster.
  2. Wobberjockey

supposedly the phantom has less recoil? not sure though i don't own it and hardly ever use the phantom
  3. Lavalampe

Trialed the Phantom today cause it is in sale atm and i really like it!

There are a few differences with the Phantom:
    - The biggest is the fact, that the phantom is an full auto sniper when you ads (The Google doc is wrong at this!)
    - You can use just Scopes 1x, 2x, 3,4x & 4x Magnification
    - The recoil feels a bit lower cause of the lower magnifications

Infiltrated a small base today with the phantom (with Ironsights only) and lonewolf'd 3-4 enemy
    until they finally managed to bring me down.
    That was fun ^^
  4. Fishie

It's very similar to the Nyx semi auto scout rifle. I'm actually not certain which I prefer. Sort of leaning towards the Phantom, actually. The scope sway is rarely much of a concern at the relatively short range engagements I tend to find myself in, and a higher damage output is always a welcome thing.
  5. LachDiggityDog

I have both and they are both great guns! I cannot decide which to use but the Nyxs 6x scope and laser sight is very attractive to me but the damage of the Phantom is also very appealing. Hmmm... decisions, decisions. ill do more testing and get back to you guys :D
  6. Lavalampe

The Nyx is really cool cause of no swaying but the biggest tradeoff with the nyx is the dmg. You need always one more bullet compared to the phantom when you land bodyshots and the enemy has level 1 nanoweave (which is very common)! So you have to land 4 shots instead of 3 which can be critical.
  7. Lucidius134

Phantom loses more accuracy per shot when done in rapid succession and has next to no hip fire ability.

Nyx is way weaker then the phantom but has way more adaptability.
  8. Adamar09

Just grabbed the Phantom since it's the daily. Suppressor, 2x reflex and forward grip. Seems like a really cool weapon. Slightly different beast to the Nyx, more noise (the nyx with a suppressor is ******edly quiet) and less hipfire. Full auto seems potentially handy.
  9. Lucidius134

I really didn't even know it was full auto. I use it semi-auto like the default sniper. Also, VS really get a one up with these weapon systems. The suppressor doesn't give us heap loads of bullet drop (read: none) so we can still use it at distance to a degree.
  10. pnkdth

Nyx > Phantom. The Phantom is just a VA39 with different scopes. The full auto feature is just as useful as firing wildly with the Spectre, ie, not very. Meanwhile Nyx has better attachments, wider selection of scopes, NO sway, very small recoil, and it makes less noise. You need more shots to kill, sure, but you will have a much greater controll(which is something I demand in a close range "scout" rifle). The Phantom can be so frustrating to hit with you'll starting wondering if you have severe latency issues, but more than likely it is the downright strange recoil. Grip is a *must* and will make it less frustrating but even then I am just wondering why I am not using the Spectre instead.

I now own all rifles but the Parallax(I know, I spoil my infiltrator) and I see no reason for the Phantom to even exist. Might grow on me, I dunno, and most of my issues are the horrible 2x reflex sight VS has, and idiotic design of the 3-4x scopes. My guess the dude who designed it haven't fired a gun in his or her life.
  11. Lavalampe

Hm, I think this is just imagination.
    The Nyx has a higher recoil (1.5) compared with the phantom (1.3) and you need 1 more bullet when the enemy has nanoweave 1-5 and you hit the body. I use the Phantom with an 1x scope and with this there is almost no swaying. Since I aim down sight in 95% of all engagements the Phantom would be my choice cause of the greater dmg. And thats also the reason it exists.
  12. pnkdth

Could be, and maybe I've just gotten so used to the Nyx the Phantom just feels off.
  13. Lavalampe

I will also buy the Nyx when the gun is for sale. So i can compare them better. I think the Nyx is a great overall weapon which might be fun with a laser and the 6x scope. ;)
  14. pnkdth

It is. Since it is steady as a rock you can pull some crazy stuff. In many ways I like it more than the VA39. I am not some CQC beast but I know I can actually hurt people if I don't spazz out. You can also fit a compensator, which I completely forgot I had there. This might actually be why I get the feeling it has less recoil. xD
  15. Lavalampe

Just uploaded a little gameplay vid today.
    Unfortunately i started the recording to late so the first 5 kills with the phantom aren't on video :-(
    However, it was still fun-infiltrating at tawrich tech plant

16. RBN

Can you upgrade to extended mag or extra ammo?

With full auto you are running out of ammo very quickly.
    And since your behind enemy lines no engi will be available.
  17. Lavalampe

no you cannot.
    The only thing that you can do is to wear the ammunition belt. This gives you 1 more magazin each level for your main weapon and your pistol. The downside is that it is expensive (150 certs for the 1st level up to 4 levels) and you cannot wear nanoweave which is always a good idea cause infiltrators have 1/5 less shields than other classes (400 instead of 500 shield).
  18. Fishie

Well, it's "full auto" in the sense that you can hold down your mouse button. It doesn't affect the rate of fire at all. You get the exact same result by just clicking rapidly. Just saying, so people don't expect some kind of machine gun or something. It's not "full auto" like the Artemis, or a carbine, or something. Personally, I think it's a bug.
  19. VoidC

Hacking infantry resupply console may help.
  20. Lavalampe

Just when you can click 3,85 times per second. I find the full-auto mode much more comfortable. ;)

It is a normal Full-Auto mode with 231 rpm. The Spectre is Semi-Auto. You are right about the low firerate compared to the artemis, but this should be obvious.