Air is not OP, the REAL reason people want to nerf air...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nikolai_Grosnii, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nikolai_Grosnii

...is because the majority of the players want a massive GROUND war. Air is great, yeah - it's fun, it provides a lot of tactical strategies to utilize and all the other fantastic whatnots; but, and this is a big but - playing on the ground against a hundred other players without random, unexpected and totally out of nowhere rocket pods is so much more catering to the current demographic community of Planetside 2.

The use of air actually requires some sort of communication and strategy between a faction's forces in order to break a zerg. Now, zerg vs. zerg can break a zerg ONLY if they're both not really using air. In fact, a lot of times what happens is that a zerg gets stuck fighting another zerg for hours if one side does not 'liberate' the other. And THAT, folks, is where most of what the majority of players are looking for is. Particularly this caters to lone-wolfs and whatnot outfits.

All in all, what I'm saying is that air is probably the most key tipping factor in any skirmish on Planetside (II); that said, the combined use of ground and air tactics requires some sort of a strategy and coordination for a successful counterattack (e.g.. a large OUTFIT). THAT said, a lot of people ('a lot of people' is another word for 'lone-wolfs') just want a good zerg fight. Now while it IS possible to see a good zerg battle WITH air, a lot of time that air ruins it - in a logical, stupid kind of way. (Because fighting on the ground is a lot more fun than running a flight simulator where you're very likely to be outnumbered and out-gunned - given the FPS appealment of the genre/game.)

SOOOoooo..... we need a continent focusing on infantry (+ vehicle?) combat.

TL;DR - Air is awesome, but infantry combat appeals to the larger demographic of Planetside 2.

Just my thoughts. Takes?
    • Up x 1
  2. Rendezvous

No, you're wrong. Air is OP because I run with no squad or platoon and I expect myself to get from base to base without support.
    Also, when I do run with a platoon, the majority of us refuse to pull 4-5 Burster MAXes or get good ESF pilots to capture air superiority.

It's pretty obvious that ground AA should be God-like.
    • Up x 1
  3. JohnnyMaverik

Blah blah blah I like to pod. LOOK AT THE FACTS: AIR > GROUND & INFANTRY ALL DAY. If you could cap from the skies you'd never ***** come down and we wouldn't be able to get you all down, in the end everybody would end up in the air, Planetsky 2 FTW.
    • Up x 5
  4. Gungan

The problem is that all air can strongly and lethally counter ground, but ground cannot do the same to air without a huge group effort. Quite frankly rocket pods need to go away somehow. Only liberators should have ground targetting.
    • Up x 3
  5. Mojo_man

I actually love both Air and Infantry combat. But even I think that the rocket-pods on fighters is a bit much in their current state. The Liberator is the main Air to Ground unit but giving every ESF the firepower to instantly annihilate any particular ground unit is a bit excessive. If I had my way about it, A2A Missiles would not lock on to other ESFs, and A2G rocket-pods would have their magazine size cut by 50% as well as their total ammo reserves cut by 50%.
  6. Rendezvous

Says the BR 22: http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=JohnnyMaverik
  7. Rockit

Nah what people want is a game where vehicles fight vehicles and infantry fight infantry. Fix the bases to facilitate this and we are on our way to much better times.
  8. Cute-CandyPants

no the reason you dont want people to think air is OP is so you can run around in a lib with the bomb attachment to get easy certs or a mosquito with rocket pods lol.

air is clearly a problem and one of the reasons air is a problem is because the continents are poorly designed and their is hardly any cover from vehicles.that and the liberator is just overpowerd as hell.
  9. Cute-CandyPants

well you are almost there,but liberators are freaking overpowerd as hell.

ill just fly so dam high so nothing on he ground can hit me,then bombs away 20k exp just got to reload my ammo silly me,another 20k exp anyone ? :/

im sorry ESF you trying to shoot me down ? front gun of the lib destroys esf's and you can just ram ESF's out the sky with the lib and it hardly dents the liberator lol

i usualy ram ESF's out the sky while my gunner nukes everything

they are pretty silly
    • Up x 1
  10. Nikolai_Grosnii

troll?
  11. Cute-CandyPants

if you knew what a troll was you would know you are one specialy in thinking air is no overpower or a problem lol

people like you make me laugh lol
  12. JohnnyMaverik

13. Dasmasterneko

The reason why people think air is OP is because if they do not want to die they wont. Its sooo easy to just make a run then go repair. Not to mention the loliborators hovering outside gun range with mini nukes.
  14. Nikolai_Grosnii

Guys you're missing the point...
  15. Strilac

20-30 of the resident forum whiners are not representative of a player base, nor are you.
    They are usually vocal minority, and most of them, the way they write they seem like spoiled brats who get killed, and then come to forums to whine.
    Usually so called nerfs they propose, in about 99% of cases would make catastrophic domino effect on the game, and it is way more frustrating to know they are not even aware of it.

Their whining is also bit contagious.

If you have a comment about gameplay, speak it in your name.
  16. Rockit

Click on my icon to the left and look at my join date and post count. I have said more than I care to even remember.
  17. Xizwhoa

I'll speak for the community. Infantry doesn't want to be farmed by air, air wants to farm infantry. Infantry are tired of being easy targets and pilots and gunners call them whiners.

Air doesn't do **** but ruin good infantry fights because good infantry fights are all outside.
  18. Fox234

Actually the problem isn't with air itself. I am actually sure for the most part air is balanced stats wise except maybe against ground vehicles and the Skyguard being rubbish. The problem is base design is atrocious. Spawn rooms with only 2 easily farmed doors by air, with open bases with little to no cover, windows large enough to allow Liberators to fire into, bases and towers missing entire walls for the sole purpose to allow air and vehicle spam. Every base, outpost and tower in PS2 excluding Biolabs need a complete and utter redesign asap. Right now the focus of the PS2 dev team seems to be to ensure vehicles are never a bad idea or useless. In PS1, air and vehicles were used to get into a facility where infantry could take over for the actual capture. Drivers and pilots would dismount or deconstruct their vehicles and join in the base fight. Now the devs have removed all traces of indoor combat and what little there is they made sure vehicles have easy access to all sections of the interior. The answer to every problem to PS2 have only 1 answer, MORE VEHICLES!

We need the return of PS1 style bases. Large, winding, multi-level installations that actually LOOK and ACT like military bases and not a bunch of hobo shacks. The bases in PS1 could get so large I would sometimes get lost inside the winding tunnels and basements, now I can fire my gun in any direction and shoot through an entrance. Not too hard since so many bases are 1 or 2 room hobo shacks.

I may post some screenshots of what I mean and how I think things can be changed.
  19. Strilac

no you dont, see the difference between you and me is, I also play as infantry, and when i am killed by air i know its my fault, you on the other hand canot make your self better, more aware, and enjoy the game that it is, a whats it about, instead you call for nerfs to diminish your personal failings.

See game is about virtual war, not virtual paintball mach
  20. robo

Do what we do.

10 Burster MAXes on a hillside, force the ground war.

We just had an epic fight with some NC outfits on Mattherson fighting between their warpgate on Indar and Spec Ops Training Camp. One of the best fights I've had in a while. We've got our Burster nest instagibbing any air that gets in range, then it's a real slugfest on the ground, tree to tree, rock to rock.

We had an insane fight between Hvar and Allatum earlier today, again a massive slugfest on the ground, didn't get hit by a Lib once because of our airspace denial.

Find a few guys with upgraded Bursters that know what they're doing, air becomes a non-issue.

Spawn camping IS an issue, a big one, because spawn rooms are tiny sheds that open onto open ground.

Put spawns inside the interior of the building where the capture point is, or just one of the big fortress buildings in a territory instead of in a Port-a-John. That will solve a lot of the problem.