Point blank rocketing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cloudayo, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Cloudayo

The number of times I've been killed in a max due to a HA running in my face and instant killing me with a rocket is insane, this really needs to be addressed. Some sort of self damage blast radius needs to be implemented, similar to grenades/mines/c4/etc. If they died or took lots of damage in return I wouldn't be as upset as I am.
  2. Salryc

HA take damage when too close. Not sure what your definition of "lots" is, but I've had "eek" moments with my RL out, turned to see a Max, and killed both of us from the splash damage. Definitely not my finest moments. Granted, taking the direct hit+splash damage is much worse than just the splash damage done to the HA shooter.
    • Up x 4
  3. Cloudayo

The splash damage associated with rockets is laughable, I've personally killed maxes like this quite a few times.
    I think the splash should be similar to that of a grenade for yourself.
  4. Salryc

So obviously the damage dealt by splash does not meet your criteria of "lots".
  5. 13lackCats

How could point-blanking a max be anything but a move of desperation?

Shouldn't there be moments of desperation in the game?
  6. Cloudayo

I'm all for moves of desperation, but there is little to no consequence for doing which defeats the whole purpose of moments of desperation.
  7. Abyll

Since I mainly roll heavy, I do this way more often than I want, but mostly because the poor shmuck caught me unawares when I was focusing on a tank. I almost always die right afterwards, to either the tank or the shmuck's friends, while trying to reload the launcher or switch to my lmg. It's not like it's that big of a difference, 0.05s TTK compared to 0.5s from everyone's ridiculous guns.
  8. 13lackCats

I dunno. Point blank splash damage from my own rockets hurts real bad.
  9. bPostal

Personally, if I'm staring at a MAX as a Heavy then yes, I'm going to shoot a rocket at him. The same way I've done it for years. The real shame is that we can't carry dual decis anymore.
    • Up x 5
  10. Jac70

I agree, it's annoying. You will turn a corner and the try-hard HA is carrying a noobtube 'cos he doesn't even know you are there but as a reflex they press their LMB and it's instant OHK. There should be some mechanism whereby they don't detonate within a range of 10m - a safety feature to prevent users from blowing themselves up.

This is how they are handled in Crysis 2 and they cannot be used as noobtubes in that game.

I would even go so far as to say that getting hit by the projectile would do huge damage but not enough to OHK.
  11. Cloudayo

I should also note my MAX has maxed out flak, I'm still instant killed by rockets point blank with the HA walking away with 100% HP
  12. Xind

One missile typically doesn't destroy a max and does anywhere from 30-50% blow back in my experience. If we're talking point blank. Heavies can mitigate this with there shield to some extent. I'd say there is a definite consequence and since you're not going to die to one missile why are you complaining about a free kill that just did have his own health?
  13. Imnuktam

Agreed, splash should be closer to a grenade since what they are using is the basic equivalent of a rocket propelled grenade, RPG.

I seriously doubt all these soldiers are running around and jump firing javelin type av missle systems.

both have a pretty serious blowback, you dont want to be using them to shoot at something 5 feet away that is for sure.
  14. PieBringer

I've only really gotten point blank splash with the S1. And by that I mean I intentionally crouched down up against a wall in an unpopulated area, and shot the wall next to my face. It just barely took out my shield, and took about one bar from my health. That's about a maximum of 500 splash damage, while a direct hit will outright kill you without flak armor. I have also directly hit enemy MAX units with the S1, and it has never done more than half of their health. However, I have no idea if they were using MAX Flak armor or not.

Although, this was last month, so I don't know if they have buffed RL damage to MAX units. (or if the S1 has always done less than the other two Dumbfire.) If it's stayed the same, however, and damage between the three default dumbfires is equal, then I doubt someone is oneshotting a MAX at point blank. Unless ofcourse by point blank you mean directly touching you... If the difference in damage is that drastic between about six feet and two inches, then... What?

Edit; On a side note... Anyone found any videos of attempted rocket-jumping in PS2?
  15. SixVoltSamurai

Tell you what, let's just make sure the heavy kills themselves every time they shoot a rocket, would that make your rectal pain go away? You benefit from the horrible splash too if they miss, as the rocket doesn't do jack to you in a max suit if it's not a direct hit, then again you can't one shot a max with a single rocket anyways so I am unsure of your overall complaint.

What about shotguns, those are capable of one hit kills too, should we disable them at under 10m as well? I mean never mind that their effective range is under 10m, let's just make sure everyone has to duel at 20 paces with infantry in order to get kills in a game about vehicle explosion farming.
  16. Cloudayo

It becomes a problem when kids can effectively use Decimators in CQC, half of the heavy assault I fight indoors are using rockets (not just when I'm in a max suit.)
  17. Kurreah

That sounds more like a bug, unless you just misjudged the range of the HA or didn't notice them put their shield up. All launchers do some splash damage, so if they were not hurt at all, they either weren't actually point blank, or they were shielded.

As to the "MAX with maxed out flak upgrades getting one-shotted", this claim seems unlikely unless you had already taken damage. Could even a Decimator deal that level of damage?
  18. Xind

From what I have garnered, flak armor does not protect against direct hits. I could be mistaken.
  19. DevErik

You must be joking. What do you expect? I do this all the time. Tough to pull off sometimes but great tactic. Nothing about this needs to be addressed. You need to be addressed.
  20. Jac70

The shotgun is designed to be a devastating CQC weapon but I have said before I think OHK weapons should be removed. The shotgun should be at least 2HK with a pause for cocking.

A RL is supposed to be an anti-vehicle weapon and like I said, I think it would still work if the unexploded projectile did huge damage on a hit.

The only weapon that should OHK is the sniper bolt action on a headshot.
    • Up x 1