[Suggestion] Air Shields for bases

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pdog109, Dec 29, 2012.

1. pdog109

You know how at a warpgate there is a big bubble around it to prevent enemy air from spamming it.
    Why is the same thing not avialable at big cap points like amp stations/tech plants.
    Make it run on a generator like the vehicle shields, so even though tanks/infantry can drive in base if those generators are down the libs cannot hover over and spam everything if the air generator is still up.
    It would make air less of a factor in these big base fights as the defenders can have AA-MAX and AA turrets ready to go if shield goes down so the enemy air cannot dominate from the start like they do now.
    As for Galaxy drops make it ok for people to drop through the shield but not ordnance.
    Also i think there needs to be a big flak cannon for bases, something like the german 88mm flak from WW2, because the current AA at bases leaves a lot to be desired.
    Why these big flak guns are not already in the game is beyond me.
    While your at it you could make it a new AA gun in addition to the skyguard, so armor columns have more protection from air because the current skyguard is severely lacking, if you add a big flak cannon to the lightning in conjunction with skyguard you can get semi-decent AA at all ranges.
  2. Hydragarium

3. Kameho

4. Makora

Though an admirable idea, you are just as well switching the air spamming you to armor spamming you with shells. And considering that can spawn vehicles and park them right on the point in most bases.

I can KINDA support this change. What if this shield would have a durability percentage. Lets say if two or three liberators bomb that thing for long enough, the shield's generator will overload and explode, since the generator has to power such a large shield. But without the ability for infantry to stabilize it before it blows.
    And how would you balance it against tanks and other heavy armor using range to hit far-off targets? It makes perfect sense for a tank to stay away from the AT turrets and shell them at a distance. This AA bubble shield either has to only cover a portion of the base (so the walls or air towers aren't covered). Or it acts basically like an umbrella, at certain point the shield just doesn't touch the walls on am amp station, for example. And you can still shell into the base.

This idea has merit. But you must keep in mind that this has way too many ways to go horribly wrong.
  5. PsychoBat

No. Just give bases more exits that can't be easily camped from the same position and we can take those libs down before we get instagibbed.
  6. southerncarl

Yes yes yes...i love it how the first guy to say no is the guy with a picture of a reaver as his avatar........GET A REAL JOB VULTURES
    • Up x 1
  7. Meiu

Yes.
  8. Meiu

And the other guy to say no is an infiltrator :p
  9. Exostrike

a better solution would be to give the anti-air turrets better protection from ground targets so we can repair them without being sniped. That way we can keep the defences up and stop the enemy aircraft from dominating the battle.
  10. PsychoBat

[citation needed]
  11. undeadsapir

im a pilot and i kinda approve. but it should be atleast 2 generators WORKING to keep the shield up (considering the size of the shield and the effect it would have on the fight), maybe even 3. if it were just 1 gen it would be too easy to guard and nullify the air assault on the base, making it far easier for the defending air, maybe make it so the ESF nose guns still work through the barrier

oh yea, and the AA turrets should be far less effective if the barriers are on..
    lots of tiny details in this idea that could make it unfair, but its possible to put it and keep it right
  12. DailyFrankPeter

This is a good direction. However I'm kind of more in favour of egnineer-deployable small shield domes.
  13. GhostSpartan

No, what bases really need is a complete overhaul. There needs to be a real interior to bases that vehicals cant get to and this is where the objectives need to be (Spawn tubes,spawn gen, Capture points ect.) These little prefab buildings with windows just don't cut it they are too exposed and are nothing but death traps.
  14. pdog109

Yes of course, as this is only air protection, the tanks can still shell the walls but I don't know if the AA turrets should be inside or outside of the shield.

Of course also makes sense.
  15. pdog109

IMO the real problem is all these bases and no real "environment" i mean where do people live on this planet, all in industrial buildings? Where are houses, offices, schools, etc? I don't know much of the "real history" of the planet and what not but it seems it would suck living on these places with nothing but industrial plants and other such, where do people live normal lives, there are no small towns or cities in these maps, just bases with a few buildings.
  16. Metalsheep

I think it would be neat to make the shield linked as the AMP station benefit rather than turret heat mitigation. Just give all turrets the AMP station heat limit, and make the Air Shield the benefit. It would make Amp Stations a priority target, like Tech Plants. You could shutdown the shield by capping the enemy AMP stations or Cutting them off from the other bases with the Hex System.

I could see how the shield might work for AMP stations and maybe Bio Labs, but how could it cover the Tech Plant?

The shield could kind of be like the Capitol Dome on PS1 bases, that infantry and maybe tanks can pass through, and perhaps the Galaxy with a special utility slot like the sundy Gate Diffuser.
  17. Niv

Bring back the "Capital" base on a map like we had in planetside 1.
    the most easy map to add such system will be esamir, eisa will have the capital shield and it will be connected to the 2 bio lab on the north and west side, and the 2 amp base on the east and south side.
    i wont explain how the capital system work all ps 1 veteran know it.
  18. Uben Qui

I support this idea. There is a shield that keeps ground vehicles from entering those big base court yards without taking the gen first with infantry, it should be the same for all vehicles. A dome shield, JUST like the gate shield... that keeps all vehicles out equally for the same reasons.

You can even tie it into the same generator as the gate shield is...
  19. Chipay

Now I'm all for the idea of keeping air out of the big bases, but an anti-air shield would be hard to balance...
    Whilst reading these posts I came to an idea to lock out air of big bases:
    -Each big base using generators would have an amount of AA turrets (about 4) AA turrets in the center.
    - These AA turrets are your standard type of AA turrets, they deal the same damage, and can absorb the same amount,
    What is different is this, these 4 turrets are connected with a generator that create a shield around the AA turrets (same style like HA shield), while the generators are on, the shield absorbs all damage.

These AA turrets will NOT be able to shoot the ground level, so all other combat units won't be bothered, and it won't stop galaxys and liberators from getting near the base. It WILL however stop the pesky air units from hovering near the base and ****** everyone from the start.

Since i don't know how effective this would be, i would't know if these generators should be placed inside or outside the shields.
  20. Meiu

Citation isn't needed, matter of fact, you can find out yourself if you weren't the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.